Author Topic: VOTC Stormtrooper  (Read 6475 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
VOTC Stormtrooper
« on: February 18, 2004, 05:01 PM »
I was thinking that maybe in the 12 modern vintage figures we might see a Stormtrooper in the mix, but apparently that is not the case.

THANK GOD.

The reason I am so happy about this is because if it was better than the CT version, all hell would break loose in my marriage.  It would cost me too much money to build a whole new Imperial army since these modern vintage figures are slated to cost around $10 a pop.  And I'm still happy with the CT version and the fact that they are recarding it shows me that this is the definitive sculpt they are going to stick with, but they might tweak with the articulation in the future.

Does everyone share the same sentiments as the Wookie?

:P
« Last Edit: April 9, 2004, 12:55 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: No "new" Stormtrooper - good news or bad news?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 05:09 PM »
Agreed, I've seen complaints about this and made the same arguement, the pricepoint and availability of these bad boys scares me enough, not to mention having to worry about picking up 10-20 more of them :)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 10:59 PM »
I'm glad they didn't, not that it would have made any difference.  I don't think I'm collecting these.  Budget is tight and will only get more so, and really, as cool as these are, I have really cool Hans and Lukes right now.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004, 12:10 AM »
Pricepoint and availability, I agree...  These figures just aren't meant to be in a "limited" line.

Now, in the main line, they're a must.

I want some damn "Versus" 2-packs of SA army builders!  Fleet Troopers and Stormtrooper 2-packs would just rock all to me.  Build both your armies at the same time.  Sounds like a plan to me.

The SA STormie should see release otherwise though too.

I still plan to keep my CT Stormies going strong though too.  A hand & blaster set will make them much more poseable, and they'll fit in well as standing/firing troops while a SA version would work well for ANY situation, and if it's as good as the SA Clonetrooper then a SA stormie would work great with any of the other Imperial weapons Hasbro's cranked out.

I say bring them on for early 2005!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2004, 03:48 PM »
It would be a nightmare if the 'ultimate' Stormtrooper was put on the OTC card... judging by what you guys are saying, this won't happen, thankfully. Good news. Very good news.

On the other hand, if they put out an ultimate Stormtrooper and packaged it on both cards - I'd be completely fine with this.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2004, 05:44 PM »
It would be a nightmare if the 'ultimate' Stormtrooper was put on the OTC card...

I think you mean the repro Vintage card Brad, which some folks are referring to as VOTC.  Assuming that's the case, then yeah - I totally agree as well, but would love to see a new one (or even the Commtech version) offered in the standard OTC line though.

I was originally speculating that we'd see a new Stormie somewhere in the VOTC line, but then when I heard how limited it was supposedly going to be, I changed my mind in favor of a new Emperor instead.  Of course, I wouldn't mind one in the VOTC, as long as we were assured of the same one being recarded in the non-limited OTC.

Regardless, we need some more Stormtroopers out there in any line - just not in a limited fashion.  Preferably ALL NEW ones at that...   8)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2004, 02:14 PM »
We got bad news boys, too bad they didn't replace him with the Emperor.  Hopefully, Hasbro will go a 4 or 6 pack route here (ala Venom vs Valor) and give us the goods!

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Will it be a NEW Stormtrooper?
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2004, 03:00 PM »
Yeah, this news is a little scary, though potentially exciting here.  Stormtrooper's back into the mix instead of that Endor Han (which makes me 12 for 12 on my picks, BTW  ;)).  I'm a little disappointed that the Emperor didn't get that last spot there, with the whole soft goods and super articulation theme of this line in mind.   :-\

So I guess the big question now is if this Stormtrooper will be an ALL NEW sculpt, or some type of partially or fully rehashed Commtech version...  With the near perfection of this Vintage 12/VOTC line that we've seen so far, I'd have to speculate that this will be a completely newly resculpted Stormtrooper, with even more articulation than last time.  Very cool if that comes about, but of course there's the uber-frightening scenario of this figure being a "limited" release now though...

But like I've contended in other threads on the boards, I honestly think that Hasbro will re-card all 12 of these VOTC figures into the regular line at a later date - hopefully on the OTC cards even...  I'd almost bank on that happening, since the added cost of creating these brilliant figures, and the desires for so many people to own them, will dictate them being more than just a limited release.  Hopefully I'm right here, or there's going to be a lot of disappointed collectors, and dare I say it - even kids...   :o

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2004, 07:05 PM »
I hope yoou're right Matt.  The Q&A didnt' seem to elaborate much on the recarding of this wave which was the SINGLE question I wanted answered by Hasbro.  Why they glossed the issue of these figure's availability, I don't know, but I'm antsy with having to "worry" about getting figures I want in sufficient quantities.

I know I'd buy multiples of each,  if I were able to.  Even at $10 I'd consider doing multiples for custom possibilities.  Hasbro has me actually SCARED that I won't get figures that I want.  :(
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2004, 02:03 PM »
I'm scared too.  Being scared sucks.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
VOTC Stormtrooper
« Reply #10 on: April 9, 2004, 12:55 PM »
Well after seeing the pic of the new one that is coming out, I have mixed feelings.

It looks like a very fun figure with possible SA Clone standards.  But, I have well over 100 of the CT version.  So, what to do?

I do think the CT version still holds up very well, and they might look ok mixed together in dioramas.

Thoughts?

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: VOTC Stormtrooper
« Reply #11 on: April 9, 2004, 03:28 PM »
For folks like yourself blessed with CT Stormie armies, I can see how it's a mixed blessing.  Do you need another 100?  Will just one do?  Ten?  Is it even that much better?

I personally will wait for it to be repacked at a lower price point, and since I don't army build, one or two will do.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 9, 2004, 04:40 PM »
It's nice to see some collectors who aren't army-builders able to understand the dilemma people like myself face on this vital issue. ;)

I think I am going to play it cool and just get 2 of these Stormies for the time being when they are released.  If I end up liking them more, I'm screwed unless Hasbro decides to offer them up like on the fan site for $20 4-pks.  That would be acceptable for me to save up a couple hundred bucks and get me an army that way.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: April 9, 2004, 06:31 PM »
I think against the CT Stormie they'll look similar enough to warrant keeping the old ranks mixed witht he new without any major consequence.

The new Stormie does look great, but the CT was great in its own right.  I'm happy in that regard, but not happy with this figure's price and seemingly lacking availability at the moment.  For $5 (or less if sold in large quantities like the CT stormie builder packs) I'd buy up enough to equal my CT stormtrooper army.  My army would swell, but that's not a bad thing in my view.

On the other hand, $'s tighter now than when I bought my CT stormies and traded for them...  Still, I'm sure I'll be buying more than one of this figure immediately.  Hopefully Hasbro makes them readily available for cheaper though.  At $10 a piece I won't build any huge army, but will entertain getting 2 or 3....  I'm going to wait this out till I see them in person though, and see how they're handled at Retail.

These SA figures are great fodder and army builders, but that price is just so killer on me as a collector, customizer, and army builder.  :(  Bummer.

The distribution could prove fatal to any dreams of having even a complete set of these figures, much less extras.  I've not pre-ordered them but the thought crosses my mind once a week at least.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2004, 10:28 AM »
I agree wholeheartedly Jesse.  

The CT version looks like it will still fit in very well with the Star Wars line.  The buff Stormtrooper looks more and more out of place though every time I look at it.  That's why I gave all of those that I had away several years ago (I had about 25 of them).