Author Topic: Captain Antilles  (Read 2852 times)

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
Captain Antilles
« on: February 18, 2004, 10:48 AM »
Just some quick notes on Captain Antilles, with the disclaimer that this is not a “traditional” review. Whatever that means.

My buddy the Black Dog posted the following in a just found thread:

Originally posted by The Black Dog:
[QB] ...not sure on Antilles, would like to see Admiral Ozzel before buying also. I call the Rebel Hoth Trooper Buzz Lightyear, and Antilles to me looks like he will be undersized and similar to the Hoth Trooper so I am calling him "Buzz Jr." Hopefully I am wrong and they did a fair job on the figure.  Just looks too boyish in the pictures. Off to my Wally to see if they got him in! [/QB]

First observation is that his swivel elbows (think fleet trooper knees) make him good at reaching for his throat and throwing his arms limply behind him whilst being choked, but he’s kind of a turd at much else. Except poses which require him to look like he is touch typing.

He is definitely a back of the line kind of fighter.

Like the Black Dog, I also assign pop culture identities to my figures. My Hoth Trooper will now forever be “Buzz Lightyear”. Just like General Rieken is my John Kerry. So who is Captain Antilles? How ‘bout Hallie Jo Osment with his typical vacant look?

One cool feature I had read about was the extendo-neck action. Those folks at Hasbro are sick bastards. We’re talking a good 1/8” movement here.

But TBD’s big question was “how does he stack up against the Hoth shorty”?

Well, quite well actually.

Antilles: Pete, I know you’re height makes you an ideal candidate for my crew, fighting in confined spaces and all... But you’ve got killer gas. It creeps me out and the crew doesn’t like it either. I’m reassigning you somewhere outdoors.

Trooper: You’ll regret this Captain! Maybe not today. And maybe not tomorrow. But someday and soon. You’ll find yourself with an Imperial Cruiser on your tail, and Stormtroopers knocking at the door – then you’ll wish you had speedy Pete around...

Antilles: Talk to the hand.

Kerry: C’mon stinky Pete. I’ve got about a million hectacres on Hoth you can let loose on while we work to defeat the evil Republican empire.
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
Re: Captain Antilles
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 10:56 AM »
you know to me it looks like Captain Antilles was a repaint from a Rebel Trooper and a little touch-ups but thats it, that is what i think.
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 12:20 PM »
you know to me it looks like Captain Antilles was a repaint from a Rebel Trooper and a little touch-ups but thats it, that is what i think.

Hey mainland05, I can see how you might think that, but they’re not even close. Everything is a new cast.

A side by side comparison shows:

RF: Cast on helmet strap, glued on helmet
CA: Removable helmet and strap, ball and socket head, extending neck.
RF: Button collar
CA: Open collar
RF: Short boots that rotate
CA: Tall boots w/no articulation
RF: Pockets on pants and cast holster
CA: Working holster
RF: Overpainted helmet
CA: Antenna on helmet.
RF: Swivel knees, rotating shoulders
CA: Swivel elbows, rotating hips – hey watch it now!
RF: 3 7/8” Tall
CA: 4 1/8” Tall

Oh wait, they “might” have the same belt buckle. ;) He’s different. Add him to the “pick up” list.
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline bangs

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 03:06 PM »
I'm jealous that you got him I MUST HAVE HIM

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2004, 05:35 AM »
So who is Captain Antilles? How ‘bout Hallie Jo Osment with his typical vacant look?

Oh no you don't Deanpaul!  I beat you to that comparison long ago...   ;)

Great review!  That ET neck looks a little freaky there.  I'll assume we get a choking Vader to go with it someday.  The size comparison shot with the midget Hoth dude is downright frightening...   :o

Good stuff.  Keep 'em coming!   8)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 05:39 AM by JediMAC »

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2004, 01:39 PM »
Great review. I will buy this figure. The neck feature is pretty... odd. I wouldn't expect Hasbro to think to do something like this. Very odd, but definately cool.