Author Topic: Artoos News?  (Read 3795 times)

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
Artoos News?
« on: February 24, 2004, 10:53 PM »
Does anyone know, why Artoos News.com is closed, i dont understand it.  Looks like we may be seeing lots of new people roll in here now! ;)
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Dengar

• Youngling
  • Vintage Rules
    • View Profile
Re: Artoos News?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2004, 12:11 AM »
I know a little bit, I was Hero25 over there.  I only know from other people, but the owner Travis quit doing it and a few other people were going to take it over, but things never got settled.  There is a TON!!!! of drama it is one big soap opera.  

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2004, 12:23 AM »
a drama over at artoosnews, what a big shock!  ;D
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Dengar

• Youngling
  • Vintage Rules
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 12:36 AM »
I take it you have been there?

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004, 12:48 AM »
Looks like we may be seeing lots of new people roll in here now! ;)

Yeah, I hope, for one, that we get some more teenage kids over here!
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2004, 02:29 AM »
I take it you have been there?

Jason used to work there a while back, Dengar.  I enjoyed their visual guides, but never popped into their forums until today.  Holy crap!   :o  World War freakin' III in that place right now!  I have no idea who's on what side, or any of the participants involved, but it looks like one helluva mutiny went down, and that the sides are evenly split and flat-out bashing the sheeat out of eachother.  Crazy, I tell you!  Makes Rebelscum look like a cozy little library...   :P

With all the shenanigans going down there, I'm frankly a little surprised that Greg(g)'s not somehow involved in the matter...   :P  And if anyone may have noticed, they can use even better swear words than we can here!   :o   8)

And even more amazing is that their admin, named "Admin" (Wookiee Pimp?  Tony?) has almost 31,000 posts!   :o  Puts GNT to shame!  I'm guessing that Greg(g) must be unaware of that, or else he'd be chasing him as well for total post count supremacy in the online SW collecting world...  EDIT:  I'm guessing that number can't possibly be correct, as they seem to be suggesting that Yoda027 (the leader of said mutinee) was the leading poster at R2's, and I think he's only in the 9,000's, which makes much more sense...

But I can certainly sympathize with their feelings over losing their community, as I'm sure many people here would feel the same way if the JD forums closed up shop.  Hopefully everything settles down soon over there, and they all find a happy new home, and can get back to discussing Star Wars instead of all that other nonsense...   :-\
« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 04:43 AM by JediMAC »

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2004, 03:44 AM »
Yeah what Matt said.

Matt, the only reason GNT isn't posting there is he can't transfer his post count anywhere else.  ;)
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2004, 09:39 AM »
Looks like we may be seeing lots of new people roll in here now! ;)

Yeah, I hope, for one, that we get some more teenage kids over here!

Sick, Sick I tell ya.  J/k! ;)
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2004, 10:03 AM »
Well, I won 3rd place in R2's Attack of the Clones fan art contest, so I'd check in on them quite a bit (the guides kicked ass). I walked into the forums once and just didn't like it.

Hopefully any of the grudging guys from R2's who make their way into JD will start with a clean slate... I'd hate to actually start moderating - I only took the job for the generous pay and benefits.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2004, 12:34 PM »
I was kind of surprised to see ArtoosNews decide to close up shop.  They ran a pretty good site over there, and I visited there somewhat frequently.  They might not have been the first with the latest news, but their visual guides were some of the best.  Hopefully someone else takes them over, I always liked the multiple views of the figures (both there and at OfftheCard.com).  I take it Off the Card is closed down as well?  I haven't been able to bring that site up for awhile, and now it just redirects to AN.  Anyways, its too bad things turned out the way they did over there...it looks like it got ugly in their forums, etc.  I never really visited that part of their site, but it looked to have gotten nasty.  I will miss going over there to "quick reference" a certain figure or two from their visual guides.

Durge

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2004, 12:36 PM »
The reason is because the site owner, Travis (Artoo), got pissed of that a fellow staffer, Yoda027, created his own site called YodasNews.com (very original, right? ::)). Yoda027 basically stabbed Artoo in the back by doing this and then added insult to injury when he got former members of ArtoosNews to join his site. Artoo decided he couldn't control the situation so he just back out. His other site, OffTheCard.com, was taken down followed a week later by ArtoosNews.

Yoda027 is now considered to be the biggest SW internet bitch to ever come across these parts.

DON'T SUPPORT "YODASNEWS!"

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2004, 01:14 PM »
*Scraps idea for JediAngryEwokDefender.com*  :-X

Offline Dengar

• Youngling
  • Vintage Rules
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2004, 01:33 PM »
The reason is because the site owner, Travis (Artoo), got pissed of that a fellow staffer, Yoda027, created his own site called YodasNews.com (very original, right? ::)). Yoda027 basically stabbed Artoo in the back by doing this and then added insult to injury when he got former members of ArtoosNews to join his site. Artoo decided he couldn't control the situation so he just back out. His other site, OffTheCard.com, was taken down followed a week later by ArtoosNews.

Yoda027 is now considered to be the biggest SW internet ***** to ever come across these parts.

DON'T SUPPORT "YODASNEWS!"

That is not totally true, Travis had left a few weeks before Yoda ever started his site.  Pete was trying to take it over and I believe what happened was that Travis never fully moved it over to Pete.  Pete is the one mad at Yoda for starting the new site.  Well anyway Admin got pissed and sent some nasty emails to Yoda and some of the other staff members and a big brawl basically broke out.  I personally was sorta caught in the middle.  I have never had any problems with Yoda, he has always been cool to me and we have made a few trades and such.  Most of the people that are pissed were jerks anyway always starting crap on the boards some of them were very rude to my wife and she even deleted her account for a little while.  Yoda basically started the site cause he knew it was about to close shop and he wanted to keep all of us who actually liked each other in contact.  While I don't know all of the details I think their is probably some flaws on both sides, and it is very unfortunate that it went the way it did.  I don't think anyone should really bash either side, because noone really knows the full story, not even the ones invovled.

EDIT:  Just fixing the messed up quote function here...  - J'MAC  ;)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 02:09 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2004, 01:34 PM »
Dang Brad...you little SOB

BTW, check out SithDefender.com next week!

Offline Yodasnews

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • www.yodasnews.com
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2004, 01:48 PM »
Just wanted to clear a few things up since I dont like to get slammed for no reason and I will not spam your boards, I am just posting this and going back to my site.

1) Admin "Tony" was not the top poster, as the admin the day the forums started he upped his post count to 30,000, the numbers after 30,000 were his actual posts. Myself with 9204 was the most so Pete was correct in his post. And Travis and I never had a fight, we did 5 months ago when I left as staff, and that was it. The site closing had nothing to do with me and him, but with Pete and Tony calling it quits.

2) I never "stole" anyone, first off they are human beings and not just names so they can't be "stolen". I simply asked some of my friends if they wanted to come over and help me, they are my friends and I have ever right to ask them. R2N did not own me and I can do anything I wish, and if I wanted to start a website with me and my friends I have every single right to.

3) I never spammed anyone, I just email my buddies on my personal address book or via PM and let them know I was starting a new site if they wanted to come check it out. Never to leave R2N or anything like that.

4) I have no idea why Tony and Pete decided to have a fit, when the night before they both knew of my sight and my intentions. I was still not banned, still a mod and an active member at that time. Then when I woke up on Monday, all of this happened.

5) I feel that something happened between last night and yesterday and I looked like a good scapegoat to blame this on but you are all very intelligent people so think about, what really did I do? The answer is I did nothing but make a little site for me and my friends to post and talk toys about. Pete posted on the main page that I did this "behind the back". My question is what back is that? I was not part of the staff so why would I have to ask you if I can make a website? I am a grown man and can make decisions for myself and I don’t have to ask your permission to do something for me and my friends.

The true colors of some people that I thought of as friends really showed and I have never read such foul and insulting words in my lifetime as I was sent yesterday. It seems like R2N was headed down this road for the last 3 weeks and I didn’t want to see my friends be without a place to post and chat and when OTC went down in flash, I knew the same could be for R2N so I went live at the point so that we could all go somewhere else and post. No malice, no backstabbing, none of that.