Author Topic: Will We See A Real R2 with Launching Saber  (Read 2710 times)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Will We See A Real R2 with Launching Saber
« on: February 23, 2004, 06:23 PM »
Nobody mentions this fig anymore.  That last POS travesty in the Flashback line was laziness and I cannot even consider it part of the line. It should of been released with the first batch of bulky figs in '95.  That peg could of been the size of a regular middle R2 leg. I always loved the concept this.  Thought that this would of come out before the bartender R2 which is excellent.  Would anyone else rebuy this?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2004, 06:25 PM by rebeltrader »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Will We See A Real R2 with Launching Saber
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 11:59 PM »
I was hoping Bar2-D2 would have this actually.

A sliding compartment lid on his dome, and a compartment that could fit a Sabre hilt (preferably one that includes a removable blade) would have been kick-butt on this figure, and made old Bar2-D2 a perfect figure for ROTJ.  Wouldn't have been overly difficult either, just a small detail that would've set this figure apart from other R2's I think.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 01:54 PM »
Well, since R2 is listed as being a ROTJ New-Vintage figure (in the series of 12), I'd be inclined to think we'll get one there...
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2004, 05:07 AM »
Well, since R2 is listed as being a ROTJ New-Vintage figure (in the series of 12), I'd be inclined to think we'll get one there...

That's an interesting observation there BDW!  Hopefully you're right.  If it does happen in this "vintage" line, at least it looks like it'll have a good shot at finally being done correctly.  Hasbro just needs to realize that we really only need the hilt with R2, and not the entire blade, so that way they don't have to make some wacky attempt to fit the entire thing down through his body again.

Hopefully it'll be a definitive R2, like the other figures appear to be.  I'm STILL waiting for Hasbro to finally make an R2 figure with a COMPLETELY retractable third leg.  I hate how they all stick out the bottom of him on all the previous releases.  They better have 3 articulated ankles on him too!  Some serious potential on this one, so they better get it right!  Think about it - the ultimate astromech, for all your customizing needs!   8)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2004, 07:02 PM »
It'd be great if this R2 had it all.  Every appendage and tool, including the opening dome.  That'd be just a great idea...  I'm curious to see if the droid figures and Yoda are as sharp as the first 4 figures seem to have been.

I was sort of sad to see the Han removed for a Stormtrooper.  I want a Stormie army for sure.  No doubt there, but a SA Han Endor had my interest piqued for sure.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77