Author Topic: 2024: What Are You Collecting?  (Read 179548 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
2024: What Are You Collecting?
« on: March 3, 2004, 03:13 PM »
For those who also visit GH, forgive me because there is a thread going over there on this same topic.  I think we had a thread going here about what everyone collected, but I think it is buried in Watto's somewhere...so I thought I'd start one here in the "Other Toy Lines" forum.  If I shouldn't have done that, feel free to delete :).

I was just curious, since it is a new year and there have been changes to many lines (or some disappearing), what you are collecting (or would like to collect).  Although I have been tempted by a number of lines, for the most part it all comes back to Star Wars for me.  With the focus on the OT this year, and with some great OTC and Vintage OTC stuff coming up later on...I haven't had the budget for much else (and I'm not sure if I will).  Plus, my wife isn't too keen on the idea of me collecting another line besides Star Wars.  That said....

Collecting For Sure

Star Wars 3 3/4" - Basic, Ultra, possibly ships (maybe the retooled Falcon later this year)
Star Wars Unleashed - OT characters only for now, these things take up a lot of space so I can't have so many anyways.
Star Wars Playskool - If they ever bring it back  ::)

Lines I'm Interested In, but Not Sure About Yet

I like these lines, but mainly because of budget, I'm not sure if I will be able to collect

Lord of the Rings - I have always been interested in this line, but haven't been able to collect it the way I had hoped.  I only have a couple of figures, but I would like to pick up some of the upcoming (or current) versions of some of the main characters.  It depends on a few things I guess.

Marvel Legends - I have just been collecting the X-figures...but again because of my toy budget, I may have to give them up.  I'd really like to pick up figures such as Juggernaut, Brown Wolvie, Iceman, Phoenix, Apocalypse, and Storm if I was able to though.

Batman/Justice League - I've always been a big Batman fan, and I really liked the Super Friends growing up...as well as the current Justice League show on Cartoon Network.  I'm probably a little late on the Justice League figures, because I'd only want the main, non-variant versions...and those are a little past now I think.  I picked up the 6" Mattel Zipline Batman a couple of weeks ago, and thought about getting more from this line...but Mattel isn't the best with lines (obviously), and I'm not sure where this line will be headed once the animated "The Batman" line hits.  I might take a look at that one too.

Lines That Are Gone....or Close

Simpsons - I've always liked this line, but again (broken record) just never got into it.  Now it sounds like it might be on the way out?

Masters of the Universe - The figures in this line were/are great, but the packing ratios and Mattel's practices in general look to have killed the line.  The only figure I really wanted to get was Roboto, and that wave never showed anywhere near me.

Other "Cool" Lines

I think these lines are great, but know that I either can't afford or just won't be able to collect them (too far behind in some cases):

The Muppets
Kubricks/MiniMates (these are great little toys though, wish I could afford to collect them)
DC Direct Stuff
upcoming Sesame Street
McFarlane SportsPicks (although I'd like to pick up a Kevin Garnett somewhere maybe...probably ebay I guess since it is older)

Anyways, sorry it got so long...what are your collecting plans (or hopes) for 2004?  Best of luck to all of you that you are able to collect (and find) everything you are looking for!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 02:05 PM by Brian »

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: 2004: What Are You Collecting?
« Reply #1 on: March 3, 2004, 03:55 PM »
This year I'm cutting way back, so I'm collecting only:

SW Basic OTC figures
LOTR Basic figures

I'm buying a couple figures here and there of:

Marvel Legends
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Batman: Hush

Offline SiteC

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • SiteC's Figure Collection Page
« Reply #2 on: March 3, 2004, 10:19 PM »
Definatly Collecting

Star Wars:  Saga, OTC, OTC Vintage, Busts. - May skip on a few figures that I don't like/need/already have, and I will get all the busts that I can afford.  I just need the blue clone, actually, and I am all caught up on them when my greedo/biker ship.

Buffy/Angel:  Figures, 12" Figures, Busts - All.  As long as my paychecks keep rolling in, these will keep coming.  Fans of this line really have to give it their best and buy as much as possible.  Diamond was kind enough to pull it out of MAC's action figure hell and bring to us what we were promised years ago.  

Ghostbusters - Figures - GB was a huge part of my childhood, and missing out on the great figures NECA is pumping out would be idiotic.

Buying what I like

Predator/Aliens:  Figures, Possibly Busts - I really like McFarlanes figure line for these films, and will probably pick all of the new ones up.  I would like to collect the busts from Palisides as well, but it all depends on how much money I'll have coming in...I keep hoping for that job promotion  8)

LOTR:  6" Figures, 20" Figures - This is a line I like to pick and choose from.  I like to buy these on sale because I know they aren't too hard to find with a few exceptions.  And you KNOW Toy Biz will just re-release what you miss in 6 months...  I really like NECA's 20" figures, and will definatly get them, as they are WONDERFUL pieces of art, they are like a cheap Sideshow Statue, IMHO

So thats it, and adding older pieces to my collection as well.    Yay for ebay and stupid sellers.

« Last Edit: March 3, 2004, 10:20 PM by SiteC »

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #3 on: March 4, 2004, 03:09 AM »
Fo' shizzle collecting-
Star Wars Saga/OTC/VOTC/Unleashed
Lord of the Rings, Toy Biz and Neca
Buffy/Angel

Pick and choose-
Marvel Legends
Transformers G1, maybe Alternators
McFarlane stuff
Star Wars vehicles and exclusives
Whatever Neca puts out, like Ghostbusters and Pirates of the Carribean
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: March 4, 2004, 10:55 AM »
Lines I'm collecting:
-Star Wars (3-3/4")
-Marvel Legends & Classics (not everything though)
-Kubricks (depends on the Subject Matter)
-Marvel Mini-Mates
-Minnesota Teams SportsPicks

Lines I'm Thinking About Cutting:
-Lord of the Rings (not really much more room in my display area, might buy some new Super figures to replace old inferior sculpts though)

Lines that I will cut off:
-The Simpsons: World of Springfield (not by choice)
-Masters of the Universe (I would buy Clawful, Stinkor, Webstor, Spikor and MossMan II though)
-SW Unleashed (cool figs, no space to display them  :frown:)
-Mattel Batman (SHOCK)

Lines I expect to Pick Up 2004:
-Ghostbusters (just the 4 'busters)
-Sesame Street (for my son)

Line I am Sorely Tempted By:
-Muppets
-DC Direct
-LOTR:AOME (I Bought a bunch of these but have since sold them)

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 4, 2004, 10:55 AM »
Well this year for 2004, my collecting habits have changed a bit.

Star Wars - I am collecting, all Basic Figures, Unleashed.  Before I only collected the Basic line, but I have decided to broden my views, and try to collect a little more from the films.

Lord of the Rings - I just barely started collecting these 6" figures last November, so I do have a little ways to catch up.  But I love this line, it is one of my favorites.

Marvel Legends - Gotta love the Marvel Legends.  This is Toy Biz best line, although there are a few bad ones in this lines, their are far more great ones in all.  Great Line.
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 4, 2004, 11:14 AM »
Nothings changed much:  Star Wars 3 3/4" (both figures and vehicles), Unleashed and Lego.  Marvel Legends and assorted Spiderman / Xmen / Hulk classics.

The only thing I've added is Sportspicks of my teams players.  I have Tom Brady and Jeremy Roenick coming and will probably add some Red Sox players to the mix.  I'll get Adam Vinateri and Ty Law once they're released.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2004, 12:30 PM »
Although I might pick up the odd figure here and there from a few various line (picked up Zipline Batman, and hope to get Indy Kermit), I think it will probably end up to be mainly Star Wars for me this year.  My wife doesn't want me to collect anything else beyond that, but I would like to continue on with Marvel Legends stuff.  I'm still interested in lines like LOTR and Muppets, but I'm just too far behind.  Like I said, maybe an odd figure here or there.  The minimates thing is tempting too.  But, most likely for me it will be strictly Star Wars (basic, Unleashed, Playskool if they have it) and possibly more Marvel Legends.  Anyone else have an outlook for the year?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2004, 01:36 PM »
How'd I miss this one?

Star Wars:
3 3/4 figs all except duplicates that are not new sculpts (read HOF)
Vehicles - selectively.  Sandcrawler - yes, Falcon - maybe, others - meh
Unleashed - all, though wavering on PT stuff.  
Kubrick's - any I can snag, will try to get more chase, depending on outcome of R2 saga
Tomy - love this stuff

Holes to fill - vintage loose, vintage trilogo carded, some 12" imperials

Other stuff:
Marvel legends - selectively
McFarlane - selectively
Spiderman legends - minimal - Doc Ock.  

Not:
LOTR - can't go there.  might grab a figure selectively, but that's about it.  
Muppets - only figures for missus bug
mini-mates - nope
Mighty Beanz - go away Scott
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2004, 02:08 PM »
Star Wars: 3 3/4 figs, vehicles, Unleashed & Kubrick's. Vintage SW at a good price. Even the odd prototype (vinty & modern).  ;)

Other Collectibles: Anything to do with Gerry Anderson, vehicles, figures, models kits, book & mags, Konami figures, Dinky, vintage & new.  ;D

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2004, 10:00 PM »
For me, I collect 3 different lines.

Star Wars : 3 3/4" figs, 12" figs, vehicles, deluxe, beasts, Unleashed, Action Fleet, Kubricks, LEGO, Tomy, Hallmark Ornaments,books and novels.

Simpsons : I have most of the figures, playsets and many of the exclusives.

Mcfarlane baseball sportspicks : I collect only the regular releases and the retro variants. I think I have a good 60-70 different ones so far.

That's it, and that will remain it. Not enough space and not enough funds to even think about picking up any other line.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2004, 05:02 PM »
Just a mini update, after evaluating what I really like/enjoy and looking at the year.  I've also noticed a few different members selling/purging their collections, so I was wondering if anyone else's year has changed at all as far as collecting/collections.

Collecting

Star Wars - 3 3/4" figures, ships, beasts, etc.  Not a completist, but most everything that is released...especially OT.  Also, OT-based Unleashed and Playskool/Galactic Heroes lines.  If I have extra money, or lulls in collecting, I might pick up a few more loose vinty figures.

Marvel World - Marvel Legends I have stuck to X-Men only so far, and hope to continue to for the most part (maybe that series 8 Doc Ock when it comes out).  The rest of the line is tempting as well.  I also have a Spider-Man 2 Spidey, and the Parachute Spider-Man from the Spidey Classics line, and I think I might try to broaden the Spidey collection a little with some villains (especially that upcoming box set).  I also took my first jump into the world of minifigs, picking up a Spider-Man Marvel Minimates four pack this past weekend.  I'm thinking about collecting more of these, they are fairly affordable and don't take up much space to store or display.

Not Collecting, or Very Limited

Lord of the Rings - I really, really like these movies, and the toy line is great as well...but there is just so much to get, I'm so far behind, and to be honest...with almost all of my budget/space devoted to Star Wars, and what little is left over going towards Marvel stuff, I just don't have the money or space.  I have a Legolas and a Smeagol, and I'll just leave it at that hopefully.  Maybe an odd figure here or there throughout the year, but I'm going to try not to give in.  Great line overall though.

MOTU - The line is pretty much done now anyways, and I now (thanks to Scott) have the one figure I wanted, Roboto.  I was too far behind in this as well to begin with, so I'm just going to leave it at that.  Figures were very nice, the line was just handled horribly.  Space was another issue with this line for me.

Muppets - A really great line, that has always (and probably will continue to) tempt me.  I don't have any figures, so the fact that I'm way behind here too helps me out.  I still would like to pick up the Indy Kermit if/when SWShop comes back online, and I might look at getting a Rowlf or Fozzie some day.

Batman/Justice League - I was somewhat interested in this, just being a Batman fan, but I picked up Zipline Batman and I think I'll leave it at that for now.  Not that I don't like other characters from this, as well as Justice League/Super Friends, but Mattel handles the lines poorly...and honestly, I'm just more of a Marvel person anyways.

So I think I am going to (at least try) to just limit myself to mainly Star Wars, with a sprinkling of Marvel stuff here and there.  Those are really my favorites, and what I enjoy to collect the most.  Space and budget becomes a big factor to me...especially with so many lines being in the 6" scale, and outside of Star Wars I have room for very little (not really even room enough for the Star Wars stuff I want either :P).  I'm hoping this minimate pack I bought doesn't open up new doors (LOTR minimates, SW Kubricks), since minifigs don't hurt the space issue really ;).  Have any of you changed your minds on what you would like to collect, or had companies change them for you?

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2004, 11:48 PM »
I forgot to mention:

Kill Bill figures and Hellboy figures!

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2004, 12:50 AM »
I wish I'd have had the wits to pick up the Hellboy w/ corpse figure a few weeks back.

I can't find one for the life of me now.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2004, 11:13 AM »
TOYS

STAR WARS:  I'm a completist on the 3.75" line, as well as an army builder.  I also buy the complete Unleashed line, and the 12" line selectively.

LORD OF THE RINGS:  I'm almost a completist on this line.  I've been selective about some pieces

McFARLANE'S SPORTS PICKS:  I'm a completist on the NFL line, and I buy the MLB and NHL lines selectively.

MARVEL LEGENDS:  I'm a loose completist on this line.  I don't buy the comic variations.

HULK: Series 2 has definitely caught my eye, while Series 1 was kind of blech.

ROBOTECH:  I've mainly been buying Toynami's superposable series of Veritechs and the Masterpiece Editions.  The Masterpiece Edition Veritechs are great, but at at least $60 a pop, they're pretty pricey.

OTHER THINGS
I actually collect bass guitars.  I play all of the ones I own, and I have about 10 basses right now.  I'm looking into another couple of pieces this year.  I'm very much interested in buying a '60's vintage instrument, however the one's I'm looking for are in the $3K region.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2004, 11:15 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback