Author Topic: 2024: What Are You Collecting?  (Read 179522 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: 2008: What Are You Collecting?
« Reply #105 on: November 20, 2007, 10:37 AM »
As we're getting towards the end of the year, I thought it might be a good time to look towards 2008.  We seem to have a general idea what is on the way next year, so what are you thinking about collecting?  There are so many great lines out there these days, its hard to pass things up - but, at least for me, Star Wars was a lot more expensive this year than I anticipated, and I need to make some adjustments within other lines to offset that.  Here's what I'm planning for next year:

Star Wars

3 3/4 Basic Line - non completist, but will buy most - some vehicles/beasts/deluxe/evolutions/exclusives/etc.

Galactic Heroes - non completist, will buy all OT sets, might be cutting out PT stuff altogether here

Other Lines

Indiana Jones - I'm guessing I might go all out with this line, similar to Star Wars.  I've been looking forward to a line like this for awhile.

Marvel/DC - I'll probably split this portion of "the budget" between the two.  I'm more of a Marvel person, but have much of what I want from that universe.  With DCUC starting up, I hope to get most to all of the Batman related figures, and the "big name" leaguers (Flash, GL, WW, Aquaman, Hawkman, GA, MM, etc.)

I think, aside from those lines, that will be it.  I may pick up a Joe here or there, but I might have to give those up for the most part.  If Transformers Classics comes back (which I believe it is), it would be tempting too - but I may have to pass there as well.  If we do see a rumored new He-Man line, I'd take a look at those.  Really, I need to try to limit myself to one "other" line outside of Star Wars, and aside from the Indy line next year, I'm hoping to do that.  We'll see though.  Too much junk - not enough room (or money) :).

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #106 on: November 20, 2007, 10:37 PM »
Star Wars - same as always

Galactic Heroes - i love these little guys so i will be buying them

Animated Maquettes - i will continue with the OT ones if they make any more after the Emperor

Marvel Legends - undecided at this point, once i get my Adam Warlock i may stop

Indiana Jones - Count me in for this one

DC Classics - undecided, part of me really wants to.

Minimates & Kubricks - I still plan to buy these as they are released

Bowen Busts - just spider-man related character

Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 21, 2007, 02:34 PM »
Meh, not too excited about much these days. 

SW Hasbro - down to just single figs and only what I want.  Rehashes and army building are out.  Galactic Heroes are out.  Vehicles are out.  Titanium is in hold mode as they repaint incessantly. 

Sideshow/Master Replicas - nothing really planned.  I'd like to get the 1/4 Indiana Jones Sideshow if it looks nice enough (I wouldn't mind picking up Mr. Spock either for the right price) but that's it.  MR is winding down, but outstanding wants are still a full size Vader helmet and the Stormtrooper.  Pity about them losing the license, I was excited about newer scaled helmet replicas.  Oh well.

Acme - still keeping up on OT and haven't made any progress on the missing CW pieces.  Not sure if I'll ever get them. 

Kubricks - down to OT only so not seeing much coming for the next year unless they slide some OT chase into the PT series'.  I would like to get the Blue Stars whenever it actually comes out. 

Gentle Giant is winding down for me to a degree too.  I'm about cloned to death, so any simple repaints are of little interest to me.  Maquettes are on a wait and see basis but I'm sure not pre-ordering them when they end up at 50-60% of retail price on ebay within a month or two.  No hurry with that line.  I love the stuff, just not buying as much. 

Marvel Legends - Spidey's Friends & Family box set, 'Nuff said. 

DC Classics - these and various Batman, Superman, DC Direct, Alex Ross stuff is kinda variable.  I'm close to the point where I have most versions I want.  If the new stuff is good enough and in relatively common scale, I could be swayed.  I really only need a good Flash to be happy.  Some intriguing BAFs though. 

Indiana Jones - we'll see how crazy they get and how much they try to milk stuff.  Figures I'm probably in for; playsets and vehicles not necessarily. 

Hot Wheels - it's looking like the Classics line is pretty close to dead, so I'll likely stop getting them.  I'll still look for THs, just to spite folks. 

McFarlane - case by case basis.  I still like the Simpsons stuff as it's well done and though the scale is different from the WoS stuff, I'll still pick up Homer stuff.  Sportspicks are all but done for me.  There are few players I'd even really want now, maybe Kirby Puckett but few others come to mind. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: 2007: What Are You Collecting?
« Reply #108 on: November 21, 2007, 02:47 PM »
Man... I could just copy & paste most of last year's post (again) and it would be pretty close to my plan for 2008.

Star Wars
1x of each of the NEW basic figures, with the occasional Legends repaints if they are "new" enough for me to consider improved.   One of each NEW vehicle/beast sculpt, no vehicle/beast repaints (unless, once again, they are "new" enough for me to consider improved, like the TRU Dagobah X-Wing set).  I'll probably grab a most of the Comic or Battle Pack thingies too, but certainly not all of them.  I'll also probably continue to pick up some (but not all) of the Galactic Hero 2-packs for the boys. 

No Unleashed, no Master Replicas, no Gentle Giant busts or Bust-Ups, no Code 3 vehicles, no 12" stuff, no Sideshow Statues, no Attakus statues, no Kotobukaiya statues/models, no Die Cast vehicles, no Micro-Machine vehicles, no Action Fleet vehicles, no Jedi Force figures, no SW board games, no Wookiee super-soakers, no more WotC minatures, no Hallmark ornaments, no posters, no replica helmets, no Attacktix figures, no SW plush "buddies", no SW Choppers, no Mini-Unleashed, etc etc etc.

Kubricks
I'll pick up pretty much everything Medicom throws at me related to Star Wars as well as hoping for some more Batman/DC Kubricks (villians and major characters such as Gordon, Alfred or NW).

DC Direct
The 3rd GL wave, I'm all over that.  Also any additional GL figures, like new 12" or Mini-mates.

Mattel DC Superheroes
Hal and Sinestro from the new line (wave 3?), if they are worth it.  They need to be better/different from the DCD stuff I have (like more articulation), otherwise I'll pass.

That's about it I guess...  I am constantly tempted by Indy, BSG, GI Joe, etc, but I hope to stay strong and stick to just this stuff listed.   :-\
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 02:48 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 21, 2007, 03:26 PM »
I can't recall if I answered in this thread since 2005....

But here it is:

Hasbro Star Wars-OT Only (unless it is an astromech or something that would fit in the OT)

Hasbro Indiana Jones

Hasbro 25th GI Joe

Maybe some historical 1:18 figs if anybody ever makes them that aren't inaccurate and poorly painted..

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 22, 2007, 12:16 AM »
Hasbro Star Wars

Hasbro Indiana Jones

McFarlane Halo 3
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 8, 2008, 10:55 AM »
Since it is officially 2008 now, has any changed their outlook for the year?  Personally, I don't know that I've ever been interested in more lines at one time as I am right now, but the number of Star Wars releases alone really eats up the budget.  I'm still shooting for the same lines, depending on budget:

Star Wars - Basic 3 3/4", non completist, some vehicles/beasts/evolutions/etc.  Also Galactic Heroes, mostly OT ones.

Indiana Jones - Indy for sure, probably most of the figures.  Wait and see on the rest.

Comic Stuff: Marvel and DC - I'm sort of hoping that Marvel is winding down, but I'll always pick up some (Spidey particularly).  The DCUC line looks pretty great, and I hope to devote more budget to that this year.

G.I. Joe - I really like this line, but I'll probably have to really limit it or cut it out altogether.  Nothing wrong with it, and if I had the budget/space I'd collect most to all of it.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #112 on: January 8, 2008, 12:25 PM »
Now that it is 2008, a few things have changed:

Star Wars - new figures, not buying any repacks

Galactic Heroes - iundecided at this point, it all depends if they release any beasts

Animated Maquettes - I still have not bought Han or Chewbacca, so i am not sure where i am going with these

Marvel Legends - undecided at this point, once i get my Adam Warlock i may stop

Indiana Jones - Count me in for this one

DC Classics - Well i did some backtracking and bought the first wave so i am  ::)

Minimates & Kubricks - I still plan to buy these as they are released
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 8, 2008, 04:37 PM »
First off, I'm a 100% opener and display my stuff in dioramas.  Sometimes I overbuy on a figure that has a really good sculpt/articulation in case I need some for customs later on down the road.

Anyways, here's what it looks like I'll be doing -

Star Wars

- 3-3/4 new movie figures
- 3-3/4 Force Unleashed figures
- 3-3/4 Clone Wars figures

* may pass on many repacks this years, but resculpts I will get
* may pass on some battle packs, unless they all look as good as the Mygeeto/Hoth ones

- all new vehicles
- all new playsets (if of course there are any)

* will pass on all rehashed vehicles
* may pass on some repainted vehicles
* may pass on Obi Wan's ship w/ hyperdrive ring

Indiana Jones

- Undecided - leaning towards picking and choosing; mostly interested in these for custom fodder

GI JOE

- Undecided - leaning towards stopping this line

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 8, 2008, 09:21 PM »
Since I have downsized to an opener only collection and what I am looking for has dropped considerably.

Star Wars - Classic Trilogy & Expanded Universe of the 3 3/4" stuff. Select ships and anything else that catches my eye.

Marvel Legends - Wolverine and any of his enemies.

Stargate (Atlantis & SG-1) - All openers & any extras I need to make custom figures from this set.

Other Stuff - Harry Potter (Neca), Pirates of the Caribbean (Neca), St. Louis Cardinals (McFarlane), Minnesota Twins (McFarlane), WWE figures of my all time favorites, and any other cool movie related toy that is released if I liked the movie and want a figure from that movie. Plus anyother toys that I can use to help me build custom figures for my Stargate stuff (Star Trek mostly).
« Last Edit: January 8, 2008, 09:22 PM by knashdx »
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 9, 2008, 01:36 PM »
POTC?  Really?  I was wondering who was buying that stuff, Ryan!  ;)

F08 Collecting:

Anything Hasbro makes in the 3 & 3/4" line x2 and vehicles. 
 Marvel Legends Avengers figures
 Maybe a few ML/DC figures that catch my attention
 Any transformers that fit into the 80s lineup/alternators scale
 Some SW Kubricks (Cheap, OTC figs only)

I think that's it - should be a light year.   ;D

Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 9, 2008, 01:52 PM »
SW Hasbro - down to just single figs and only what I want. 

Sideshow/Master Replicas -  I'd like to get the 1/4 Indiana Jones Sideshow if it looks nice enough (I wouldn't mind picking up Mr. Spock either for the right price) but that's it.  MR is winding down, but outstanding wants are still a full size Vader helmet and the Stormtrooper.  Also thinking about picking up a MR weathered Ep IV Obi saber :-X

Acme - still keeping up on OT and haven't made any progress on the missing CW pieces.  Not sure if I'll ever get them. 

Kubricks - down to OT only so not seeing much coming for the next year unless they slide some OT chase into the PT series'.  I would like to get the Blue Stars whenever it actually comes out. 

Gentle Giant - will see and buy what I like.  OT maquettes, but off ebay when I can get them for cheap.  Same for busts in most cases.  Nothing coming that I know of that I cannot live without. 

Marvel Legends - Spidey's Friends & Family box set, 'Nuff said. 

DC Classics - Limited stuff here.  Like the BAFs, not prepared to buy five figures to get one really.   

Indiana Jones - plan is for 3/75" figs only and only what I want. 

Hot Wheels - it's looking like the Classics line is pretty close to dead, so I'll likely stop getting them.  I'll still look for THs, just to spite folks. 

McFarlane - occasional sportspick, but few and far between now; Homer versions of Simpsons line.  There's something coming that I want but can't remember what it was.  LOL.  Would love to see a Kirby Puckett. 

NECA, etc. - what catches my fancy. 

2008 should be the year I finally have a room to unpack all my crap into.  That should mean it's the year I finally get rid of lots of duplicate stuff and things I have but don't really want.   
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #117 on: January 10, 2008, 03:53 AM »
I'm just collecting GI Joe and Transformers this year. Star Wars isn't very interesting to me this year, based on what little I've actually seen, and I know that the AT-TE and Falcon are out of the question mostly because I have nowhere to put them. I'm unsure about Indiana Jones. It's obvious I'll get a few, but I'm really not going to collect another huge Hasbro line, since my main two are expensive enough.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 03:54 AM by inadvertent imitation »
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 10, 2008, 10:43 AM »
Star Wars:  After buying the whole TAC line in 07 both for the pretty awesome figures and the coins, this year I'm back to only buying new characters and significant upgrades of existing characters. Although I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do with the animated Clone Wars figures.  Have to wait and see some photos of what Hasbro has planned.

Already scaled back on Titanium and unless it fits into my character and/or vehicle focus I don't buy Transformers, Unleashed, Galactic Heroes, Lego or role play items.  I don't think I'll add a lot of vehicles but man, I sure would like that AT-TE if it's as good as the hype. 

I've always only collected GG and Sideshow items that I like and that continues but I can see myself scaling back on Sideshow unless they put out something so earth-shattering I can't pass it up. 

Never was much of an MR collector but I am hoping the scaled Clone Trooper helmet ships as I pre-ordered that.

Other than that I'll play the Star Wars line by ear.  I'm hoping on downsizing some of my collection this year and not adding a lot of extra stuff to the storage boxes.

Other lines;
Indiana Jones: I just want the 3.75" RoTLA Indy from the Hasbro line.  I'm also interested to see what Sideshow does with their 1:6 Indy figure from the same film.  I'll probably buy that.  Otherwise I think I'll be staying away from the line, just don't need the expense.

GI Joe: I'm hooked on this line.  I'm not buying them all (already passed on Lady Jaye and Serpentor) but there's a pretty significant number of upcoming figs that I think I want.  I'm playing this one by ear also.  If my WM starts carrying them and they're cheaper than Target's $5.99 I might be inclined to buy more of them.

Misc:  I never completely rule out other figures, if something really interests me I'll pick it up.  But as of right now nothing is on the board for 2008 that I think I'll be picking up.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 12, 2008, 04:32 PM »
POTC?  Really?  I was wondering who was buying that stuff, Ryan!  ;)

Not the Zizzle stuff, just the Neca stuff.

forgot the Indiana Jones 3.75" stuff.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 04:33 PM by knashdx »
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!