Author Topic: 2024: What Are You Collecting?  (Read 179517 times)

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
Re: 2008: What Are You Collecting?
« Reply #135 on: February 24, 2008, 07:41 PM »
Mighty Muggs (I really have grown hate that line with a passion. I cannot believe how many lines are plagued with it!)

:o :o :'( :'(
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 24, 2008, 09:01 PM »
Star Wars=OT only stuff.  So I guess I'm looking at 2 waves maybe this year.  The total lack of OT Army builders or the Vintage line has this the lightest Star Wars year for me since AOTC. I might out of boredom get some OT based EU stuff, but that is doubtful. Hood Up Hoth Han is my Holy Grail this year for SW (Both Blue and Brown)

GI Joe- I am all in for the 3 3/4in line.  Army  building up to 12 of each troop type.  Probably even 1 of each vehicle, except the Ram/Trouble Bubble 2 pack...that is 6 a piece easy.

New for 2008...INDIANA JONES...all in again.  I'll even buy the Temple of Doom figures (my least favorite).  Probably Army build the Hollywoodized "Germans" to extent.  And sadly I'll be Army Building Indiana Jones himself since he is the only common thread in all 4 movies.  But that is the closest thing to a "Clone War" that I want any part of this year (or ever)

There is also a Forces of Valor line of Historical Figures as well. Knights/Samurai/Romans

Other than that...no other toy lines this year, the WWII figures from several of the 1:18 guys look as authentic (which is not very) as the Indy Germans except the paint is horrible.  I'm also not going to buy GI Joes by Sideshow at $70 a piece.

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 24, 2008, 09:33 PM »
Star Wars -buying most of the Legacy line, evoultions, vehicles, and BPs. for CW Line, I am only buying what I like, what i have seen its just Grievious, and Obi-Wan. I am buying the AT-Te

GI Joe - buying almost all

Transformers - Just some of the universe line

Indiana Jones - on site decesion

D.C. Classics - Just Batman characters
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 04:19 PM by Darth Rock »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 11, 2008, 10:42 AM »
So has the news this week of possibly the new Millennium Falcon AND AT-TE hitting this summer (as well as all the other SW product the rest of the year) changed anyone's collecting outlook for the rest of the year?  I know there's a number of people here that don't really buy the vehicles, so it might not change a thing, but I for one have to at least get that Falcon (and really would like to get the AT-TE as well).  We'll have to see when things hit, and what the budget looks like.

Otherwise, I'm still in on the same Star Wars stuff as before.  I'm looking forward to Indy as well, so hopefully that will fit in the SW lull for the most part, and beyond that it should just be a few more figures later in the year.  I'm on the fence with vehicles and such for this line, so we'll have to see.  Beyond that, I'm hoping to just have the comic book/superhero stuff be the only "other" line I collect outside of SW.  As I said before, Marvel seems to be winding down, although DC is just getting started.  I had thought about buying just about the whole line, but I might have to scale that back to just my favorites/big names.  The other line I'm interested in is G.I Joe, and I thought I was out until I saw more pics this past week.  I still love the line, but that is the one that is on the edge now with all the SW stuff coming this year.  Man, where to put all this stuff - let alone afford it?

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 11, 2008, 01:17 PM »
So has the news this week of possibly the new Millennium Falcon AND AT-TE hitting this summer (as well as all the other SW product the rest of the year) changed anyone's collecting outlook for the rest of the year?  I know there's a number of people here that don't really buy the vehicles, so it might not change a thing, but I for one have to at least get that Falcon (and really would like to get the AT-TE as well).  We'll have to see when things hit, and what the budget looks like.

I am passing on the AT-TE, but that is because I am not collecting Prequel stuff except for Jedi's and Jedi Vehicles. The Falcon on the other hand is going to be on my list, just going to be hard to justify the $$$ to get it. I figure it will be close to if not over $100 bucks and that is going to be hard to justify.
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #140 on: April 11, 2008, 02:54 PM »
After thinking about it for a couple of years now, I've finally decided to take the plunge into Marvel Legends.  Actually it was the DCU Classics that finally swayed me to do so.  :)  I picked up the first series, took pics for my site and sold them, but realized right away I shouldn't have.  It made me realize that I regretted doing the same thing with Hasbro's ML series 2 & 3, so I elected at that point to start collecting both lines.

I don't have a goal for these per se, but I'm more or less backing my way into them.  I've picked up ML 2 & 3 and will get ML 1 next.  I'm also picking up variants from other series as I can find them at good prices, since I'm only going to buy full basic sets and most sets on the market don't include variants.

So looking back at my original post for what I'm collecting in 2008, I guess I can say it's changed now in the sense that ML and DCU have sort of taken over priority.  I've actually been more excited about collecting this stuff than I have for anything else in quite a while. 

John

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 11, 2008, 03:52 PM »
So has the news this week of possibly the new Millennium Falcon AND AT-TE hitting this summer (as well as all the other SW product the rest of the year) changed anyone's collecting outlook for the rest of the year? 

Nope, I'm in the midst of a mid-collecting-life crisis.  It's part price shock/annoyance, part I can't move stuff from recent for half retail price, so why not wait and get crap 2-3 years later for the bargain price?  I also had to clean a bunch of crap up for someone else really and that took hours and hours and hours so I'm not wanting to inflict that on anyone right now.  Truthfully I'm hoping to move about half my stuff out of the house by year's end.  That's my honest goal to cut back what I already have. 

I've done better on not spending so far too - I've skipped most of the first two SW waves, haven't grabbed any O66 stuff (not that I can around here) or any evo stuff either.  I've bought a couple of GG busts and already have buyer's remorse over one of them :-\  My spending totals are, for me, way down and should hopefully stay that way. 

Indy will impact stuff for sure, but I'm going to do a bit of watch/wait and see there too.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 11, 2008, 05:42 PM »

I'm not sure yet... it might keep me from buying other stuff because of space issues, but not so much b/c of money issues.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: 2008/2009: What Are You Collecting?
« Reply #143 on: July 28, 2008, 12:37 PM »
Well, I always like to go over my collecting thoughts again post convention time - and after seeing what is on the way this year (and next) at SDCC this weekend, what are your thoughts on what you plan to collect?  Again, there are so many great lines out there that I'd like to get into, but space is a major premium for me now - and Star Wars alone is taking up so much of the budget (and has a lot of great stuff on the way).  Here are mine, in order of priority I guess:

Star Wars Basic Figures - Legacy Collection, probably most to all.  Clone Wars, pick and choose but it might end up being all as well.  Vehicles is something I'm thinking about right now.  I like them all, but have given thought to sticking to OT vehicles to save the money/space (there are a number of PT/CW ones I'd like though too).  I'm in on Evolutions and select Battle Packs as well (which are both looking pretty great lately).  Some Comic Packs too.

Galactic Heroes - Most to all here as well.  I've always liked the line and our daughter just loves to play with them already.  All the OT stuff, and probably quite a bit of the PT/CW stuff as well.

Indiana Jones - Likely in for all the basic figures here.  Vehicles are nice, but I don't have the room.  I'm thinking (sort of hoping) that this line won't be too long lasting, so I can just collect the whole run and be done with it.  Adventure Heroes here too, if they continue.

DCUC - This line is really looking great to me.  I've bought them all so far, and with Legends winding down and Indy's future somewhat up in the air, this might end up being the main "other" line I collect.  If nothing else, I'm definitely in for the Bats characters and the "big names".  The Infinite Heroes line looks kind of nifty too, and I might pick up a few of those (I have the Flash set, and will get Bats/Nightwing/Green Arrow for sure when they are made).

MOTU Classics - I was really into MOTU as a kid, and sort of regretted not getting into the 2002 line further.  Since these are a nice "one a month" pace, I think I'm in at least for some of them.

Marvel - Really sounds like Legends is winding down, or at least changing.  I'm likely in for a select few here and there.  The 3 3/4" Marvel Universe line looks nice too (wish it had started that scale), and I know that I'll end up buying at least some of those.

GI Joe - Another line I really like, but I might be winding down a bit.  If nothing else, after the next wave or two here, I'm just going to pick up the DVD Battle Packs.  I want the DVDs (since I missed the earlier releases), and battle packs seem to be the best value these days.  This might be the line I slowly drop, just due to the fact I can't afford/display all of this stuff.

Overall, that's a lot more lines to have interest in than I should.  I'd always wanted to limit it to "Star Wars and one other line", but it seems more difficult to do that each year.  That's why I end up sort of hoping some things wind down, since my willpower apparently won't do it for me :).  Like I listed things, I always try to "prioritize" things, so that if the budget changes, I know what is the first or last to go.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 11:50 AM by Brian »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 4, 2008, 12:18 AM »
Not much changed for me since the last post.  Still in crisis of sorts, so trying hard not to buy much. 

I did pick up enough of the new Legacy figs to build some droids, but passed on old stuff or CW stuff.  I'm kinda leaning higher end these days, with more to GG and helmets and the like.  Kubricks were killer this past month, but we're done for a while.

Indy I'm up for as long as it lasts, since it's likely to be a smallish run overall. 

DC/Marvel - meh, we'll see. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 4, 2008, 08:23 AM »
Since my last post of what I am collecting it has changed a little.

Star Wars   Original Trilogy
   Jedi Knights (All series)
   Droids (All series)
   Expanded Universe
   Select Ships
Indiana Jones   Just the Different Indy's and his family (Sr, Marion, & Mutt)
Sports   McFarlane - Minnesota Twins
   McFarlane - St. Louis Cardinals
   JAKKS Pacific - Mick Foley's
   McFarlane - Home Town Players (updating Kevin Garnett to ?? and Randy Moss to Fran Tarkington
Other   Wolverine (Marvel Legends & Select)
   Cable (Legends & Select)
   Wolverine - Enemies (Legends & Select)
   Cable's Family
   Neca - Harry Potter
   Diamond Select - Stargate SG-1
   Diamond Select - Stargate Atlantis

I dropped my POTC stuff (Neca isn't making any more of it), and I droped all my misc. movie toys. Just have far too many of those floating around; So I am scallign back on what I have and not getting any more unless I am super excited about it (Joke from Dark Knight is because of Heath Ledger's death)
« Last Edit: August 4, 2008, 08:46 AM by knashdx »
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #146 on: August 7, 2008, 04:52 PM »
Focused as always……...

Star Wars Legacy Collection
Every new Figure and Vehicle in the  3.75" line . ( No deviations outside of that scale, no Muggs, No Titainium, No Unleashed etc)

Star Wars Clone Wars

Vehicles I am 80% committed. (Repaints will be a cases by case basis)
No to 95% of the Animated figures. The only possible purchase here is if it a part can be used for the mainline like the Plo Koon saber gauntlet and Rota figure.

G.I Joe 25th

Figures & Small Vehicles (Passing or selling off all of the duplicates I only want 1-2 of the main characters.)
Extra set of Carded figures (I have an extra every single figure carded up to now)
I am on the Fence with the larger vehicles but knowing me I will break down and get them.

HellBoy (To compliment SW)
3.75' scale figures only. (I got the SDCC exclusive and it's amazing!) This will be a short run but many will look great in SW dioramas, Wink is the perfect Neveelian right down to the hand!

My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #147 on: August 8, 2008, 07:56 PM »
Star Wars- most basic figures, including the animated line. I'm really more interested in them than the Legacy line at this point. The big vehicles are still in question. Sure, I'd like to buy them, but real life takes importance, and I'm really not going to pass up a ticket to Vegas or my new car to buy a toy I have no room for.

GI Joe- Jesus, this line is a chore. I still haven't seen hide nor hair of the vehicles for this line, and combined with the 40% price increase since the line started and wave 11, which has very little I recognize, I'm questioning my commitment to this line. And, is it so hard to stop reusing the Duke and Viper arms? So many good toys have been ruined by those. Not even going to mention the SDCC Cobra Commander. If I see graded ones for sale on HTS, I'm out.

Transformers- I was less than impressed with Prowl and Sunstreaker from the new Universe line, but this line gets more interesting in later series. Considering all I mostly see at retail is still movie stuff, I wonder if I'll see those at retail. I still haven't seen Soundwave and Jazz from the Animated line, but that whole series seems like it missed its window anyway.

Masters of the Universe- I was a little bothered that this line launched with an exclusive I still can't get, but I doubt the regular figrues are going to be that difficult to obtain. I just hope these things don't go up for sale in the afternoon when I'm at work. The online-exclusive idea didn't work for GI Joe, and I'm having a hard time believing it will for MOTU.

Indiana Jones- on life support. I have the ToD wave on preorder, and will probably do the same for the last Raiders wave, if it gets made.
« Last Edit: August 9, 2008, 12:54 AM by inadvertent imitation »
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 9, 2008, 10:48 AM »
Star wars- Due to space and money and am no longer going to collect vehicles and comic packs. Vehicles take up way to much room. In terms of the comic packs there are just to many characters I dont know featured in them and in most cases I only want one figure from the set. So for now on I am sticking to just basic figures and evolution sets(only if they interest me ie. pilot sets). I am also going to cut my squad building down to save up on some cash.

Mobile Suits in Action!! - This is a "new" line I am trying to get into. Last year I picked one up from a local comic shop and the figure was just amazing. This summer I finally got around to watching both Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny series and now I want to get a few more of the figures for display purposes. The only problem is that this is an old line and its only sold in japan so I have to depend on comic shops to get the figures I need. The bigger problem with that is those shops also jack up the price on the main characters. I am not going to go all out with this line but there are just a few that I want at the moment.

DragonBall Z- I just want to finish off the DVD season sets.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 8, 2008, 11:23 AM »
Well, with the likely end of the Indy line - and compressing the budget next year a bit - my outlook has changed a little bit going forward.  There is still so much nice stuff out there these days that I'd like to pick up, but budget and display/storage space is really an issue for me personally.  Here's how I see it going forward:

Star Wars Basic Figures - Most to all of the "realistic" Legacy Collection line, definitely all OT figures.  For now, all prequel figures, but I might have to eventually get more selective.  To be honest, I just want "ultimate" versions of all the main characters/Jedi at this point, and most everything else is a case by case basis for the prequel stuff.  As of now though, I'm buying it all.  I've also been grabbing one of each of the Clone Wars figures, and will likely continue as I'm enjoying the show so far.  If I have to cut back more though, the Legacy Collection definitely gets the nod over these.  Vehicles/Beats/Battle Packs/etc. - OT ones definitely, PT I'm on the fence with continuing (again, budget/space).

Galactic Heroes - I'd like to continue these as well, again leaning towards more of an OT preference (although I get the figures right now from both trilogies).  I've always liked this line, and our daughter is really starting to get into playing with these as well.  I like that we're starting to get more vehicles here too.

Indiana Jones - likely done, but I'll finish out whatever they make (I'll be caught up once Elsa/Vogel arrive from HTS)

Marvel - Legends seems to be slowing down, but I'll pick up a few here and there.  If they do all jump to the $15 price eventually though, I'm likely out for the most part.  Spidey focus here particularly.  The upcoming 3 3/4" line is mighty tempting to me though, and I'll likely check those out.

DCUC - I have been "all in" on this line so far, but recently cancelled a preorder for Wave 4 because I can't afford to do the whole sets all the time and don't necessarily "need" all of the figures.  I'll continue on with any Bat-universe figures, the JLAers, and a few favorites here and there.

MOTU Classics - Another line I'd like to buy most to all of, but likely won't be able to afford to.  I'll definitely try to grab at least He-Man and Skeletor, and we'll see about a few others if I can.

G.I. Joe - Wrapping up here most likely.  I'd like to be going all out with vehicles and everything here, but I just don't have the room.  I'll finish out the DVD packs (enjoy those old cartoons), and pick up a select few of the individual figures as well (Mutt, Matt Trakker, etc.)

Overall, budget and space are really starting to play a role - and I don't see that changing unless the economy improves or I sell a bunch of crap that I don't necessarily want to.  Maybe I'm just getting to that crossroads that others have as well, where I'm like "I'm in my 30s, do I really need to be buying all these toys?".  Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy collecting - and often wish I had the space and budget to do much more, but the reality is I don't and I will have to start making some cuts.  I'll always continue to pick up Star Wars in some capacity I'm guessing, especially the OT stuff, and that goes for Spidey as well.  The other stuff is great, but we'll just have to see what I can afford in '09.