Author Topic: 2024: What Are You Collecting?  (Read 179532 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: 2009: What Are You Collecting?
« Reply #180 on: August 25, 2009, 01:38 PM »
It does look like, at least for the most part, that the majority of us are cutting back.  Compared to just a couple years ago, it seems like a number of lines are starting to go by the way-side.  Some of it likely due to prices, some due to lines sort of ending or slowing down (example: Marvel Legends), or maybe it is just something with us (age, shift in focus, etc.)

I've often said that I envy those who collect just Star Wars, it must be nice to have both the focus and willpower to do that.  I've often hoped to just have Star Wars and one "other" line to collect.  I need to stay away from a lot of the other stuff in the first place, because once I start it seems like I'm more likely to continue on.  I remember telling my wife a couple years ago that "this year will finish out the Marvel stuff", and here I'm still buying it (even though Legends is pretty much gone).  I also remember saying that "Star Wars should be slowing down after this year (2005)" - but that didn't happen either, as now we get more stuff in a non-movie year than in a movie year.

My interests seem to stay with stuff from my childhood - Star Wars, Joes, Marvel/DC, Transformers, and MOTU.  If the classic Joe/TF stuff stays away for awhile, those lines are for all intents crossed off for me.  I hope we get more 25th Joes, but if we don't, I guess I'm pretty happy with the line we got.  I know that I probably have three times as many characters as I was ever able to get as a kid (which is sort of sad in a way).  If I could stay away from the 3 3/4" Marvel stuff, that would help too.  I'm trying to stick with Spidey stuff, and finishing out some of the main characters/teams (and the Secret Wars packs), and hopefully jump out of that stuff.  I've already got Legends on display, seems silly to have both.

That leaves, surprisingly, a couple of Mattel lines getting my attention.  The DCUC line has a lot going for it as it is still relatively young, and there is a lot to make yet.  Couple that with me getting more into the DC comics as well, and it has been drawing me in more and more.  I originally only planned to collect Batman/Gotham characters and the "main" leaguers, but that has expanded to more than half of each wave released (I want all GL-related stuff now too, as well as some other characters).  I never got big into the 2002 MOTU line (only three or four figures), but got in on the "ground floor" with MOTUC and I'm glad I did.  It is really the only big childhood line left for me that I don't have much of the modern versions, and I haven't been disappointed in a figure yet.  The prices are still steep, but having just one (or maybe now two) a month isn't too tough to handle.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 25, 2009, 01:46 PM »
I was into a lot of different movies/tv shows/etc. when I was a kid that now have toy lines again and it is fun to take a look at them. But nothing else was ever nearly as important to me when I was a kid as Star Wars and so knowing how much space and money any other line would take makes it easy to say no for me, whereas I'd probably roll over and die if I didn't have the SW stuff anymore.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 25, 2009, 02:50 PM »
I was into a lot of different movies/tv shows/etc. when I was a kid that now have toy lines again and it is fun to take a look at them. But nothing else was ever nearly as important to me when I was a kid as Star Wars and so knowing how much space and money any other line would take makes it easy to say no for me, whereas I'd probably roll over and die if I didn't have the SW stuff anymore.

And you are an example of the type of people I envy.  Better willpower with this stuff than I have been able to have so far, but I'm hoping to improve.  Too much nice stuff out there these days ;).

Offline Packbar

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • Jedi Master Tolman's Toy Emporium
« Reply #183 on: December 3, 2009, 10:02 PM »
My collecting is 3 main areas with a few secondary here and there things

1. Minimates (I love these things and have currently 737 different ones)
2. Star Wars (although I have cut back to getting OT, EU, and Figures with lightsabers)
3. Masters of the Universe

I like to get other random things that either are just too cool to pass up, or toys of characters that I love.  I have cut back significantly in the last year mostly as a way of showing my wife that I can control myself ! ;)

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 4, 2009, 05:09 PM »
Star Wars figures-just Legacy
GI Joe- 25th, some ROC and POC
MOTUC got into it late due to not having a job for a while

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 7, 2009, 02:10 PM »
Looking toward 2010, I'm trying to scale down somewhat as well...like many others here have recently.  Here's what I'm looking at right now:

Star Wars - most to all Legacy (or whatever it will be called) figures, some CW figures.  All (new to me) OT vehicles/beasts/etc., PT/CW vehicles on a case by case basis.  Also still grabbing the OT-based Galactic Heroes.

Marvel - Still the odd Legends figure here and there if/when they release them.  Spidey-related stuff, and I've still been going on some of the Marvel Universe stuff (Secret Wars packs in particular).

DC Universe Classics - Again, odd figure here and there, but slowing down overall.  I'm looking to get pretty much anything Batman/Gotham-related, a few of the unmade figures I'm still interested in, and beyond that we'll see.  The product is outstanding I think, but space and budget are at more of a premium anymore.

MOTU Classics - I'm subscribed until the end of 2010, so I'm in it for at least that long.  I've been happy with the product so far, even if it is a bit pricey.

Otherwise, not much else.  Mainly sticking to Star Wars anymore, and Marvel/DC is my main other interest.  I have gotten to the point where I have a lot of what I want from both universes now, so I'm trying to really consider who I "need" at this point.  Other things like Joes I'd be back in if we saw a return of 25th styled stuff, and Indy if that line ever returns.  Other than that, I'm simply running out of room anymore, and just can't spend the money on this stuff like I used to.  There are a few slightly higher end things I'm still interested (the odd FX saber, mini bust and/or statue), but that's only when I can afford it.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #186 on: December 8, 2009, 11:49 PM »
Looks like this will be 2010 for me-

Star Wars- "every time I try to get out, they keep pulling me back in!" If they'd stay at $6, I'd be buying whole waves, but they won't so I won't.

GI Joe- I bought a lot more of these than I was expecting (as in almost all the ROC basics), but I'll have to wait and see with next year's line. If all the stuff is as great as the Zartan and Snow Job I've seen, this could be quite a big part of my collecting next year.

MOTU Classics- I skip the figures I don't want (He-Ro, Adora, the reissues) and it's still a pretty expensive line, but one I really enjoy owning. Since Battle Cat, Battle Armor He-Man, and Orko are all coming out this year, I'll be spending a lot here too.

Star Trek- just putting this here in case Playmates actually does something neat this year besides finally getting wave 2 of the movie stuff out.
« Last Edit: December 8, 2009, 11:50 PM by inadvertent imitation »
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: 2010: What Are You Collecting?
« Reply #187 on: January 5, 2010, 12:25 PM »
Just updated the title for 2010, otherwise, not sure much has changed since my post just a little while back.  Budget and space constraints are really forcing me to cut back these days, and I'm also wondering if I really need all of these toys ;).  I'll stick with the Star Wars (movie) stuff until the bitter end, and I'm really looking forward to what the line will hold later this year.  Outside of that, I'll be getting pretty choosy:

Star Wars

Legacy (or whatever it will be called), likely all of the figures, all new (or new to me) OT vehicles, pick and choose PT vehicles, pick and choose battle packs (although it sounds like less of that too) and exclusives.

Clone Wars - picking and choosing figures, although I should really be buying less of this than I am.  Vehicles are possibly occasionally, as well as deluxe stuff if it is really catchy.

Other - Continuing with OT Galactic Heroes stuff, and maybe the occasional higher end item if I can afford it (primarily Gentle Giant statues/busts, hopefully a Luke FX saber).

Other Lines

Masters of the Universe Classics - I'm subscribed through 2010, so I'll be keeping up with these somewhat.  Really looking forward to Battle Cat, and likely some of the other "bonus" figures.

Marvel - I'll still get some of the Universe stuff I'm guessing, as well as a few Iron Man 2 items - also some figures I'm looking forward to in the upcoming Legends 2 Packs that I missed previously (Black Widow, Deadpool).

DC - Picking and choosing here too, but less and less.  The product is still amazing, but I just don't have the room for the whole DCU.  Likely anything Gotham-related, and a few other favorites if/when they get made.

GI Joe - Really depends here.  If 25th stuff comes back, probably in...more Resolute stuff would be tempting too.  Otherwise, maybe just the odd figure here or there (like the recent City Strike Snake Eyes)

Overall, a lot of lines still listed, but I'm hoping to stick primarily to Star Wars for the most part in 2010.  Marvel is probably secondary, but that will just be a few here or there.  Not sure if I would continue with MOTUC all out if I had to "hunt" for them all the time, the subscription does make it easier (if more expensive).  It has been discussed around here several times, but I'm simply running out of room for all this stuff and need to prioritize.  I don't want to start buying things just to store them away, and it may be getting to that point.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 5, 2010, 01:06 PM »
Star Wars = nada

MOTUC = all

Jordan Pro Shots = all

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 5, 2010, 02:17 PM »
Star Wars Legacy/Vintage - YES

Star Wars Clone Wars - NO

Star Wars Legends - NO

Star Wars Vehicles - YES

GI JOE - PICK AND CHOOSE

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 5, 2010, 02:27 PM »
SW:
Legacy: Most
CW: almost none
Legends: none
Vehicles/ships/beast: case by case basis, price is a big factor
Galactic Heroes: some

Halo 5 inch figs

Marvel Universe (3 3/4 in figs)

Transformers: Movie related only and then only some

LEGO: Power Miner sets only

My SW budget for this year is only $600, so Hasbro has to really knock my socks off to get my dollars this year with SW stuff. Though they are getting money from Marvel and TF toys from me.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 5, 2010, 02:29 PM »
Star Wars Lines:

Hasbro - Whatever replaces the Legacy Collection.  I bought some TLC figs in 2009 that I probably wouldn't have if it weren't for the B-a-D figures.  After the EU wave I'll be back to only buying new characters or upgrades that are significate or seem to be definitive versions of characters.  I only bought one or two Legends figs in 2009 and don't plan on any this year unless they switch up a Clone deco somewhere (I could use a few more Utapau Troopers for the right price).  Clone Wars is hit and miss, I bought more than I'd planned on but will continue to cut back there.

Hope to finish off the comic packs when/if they com out.  Still in for new, affordable ships, mostly in the Starfigher line.  I can't think of anything outside that price range I'd be in for but was surprised with the Dewback and AT-ST in 2009 so who knows.

Sideshow - Not buying this line anymore.  Was tempted on the PF Talon and may still end up with her, but other than the AT-AT Driver and also an exception for Boba Fett, I have no plans on any 1:6 items.

Gentle Giant - I ordered the Republic Commandos but I'm having buyers remorse on them.  I have my AT-AT Driver bust and want Talon from this year but I can see myself buying less and less from GG as time goes on.

Lego - I'm buying the new BP with the AT-AT Driver and just picked up the 2009 Brickmaster Republic Gunship.  I'd still love that Dropship but but I haven't been able to justify the $250 for it.

Other:

GI Joe 3.75": I bought a few Resolute figures, the CS Snake Eyes, TRU Firefly and may go back and get a couple other Resolute figures.  I'm also in for the new Snow Job they've been showing off, as well as a couple others shown at Joe Con and other places.  I will probably also pick up the Club 4" Adventure Team figures if they get released and I like the looks of them.

GI Joe 12":  I'm in for the 2010 club membership figure again and maybe the Con set depending on what it is.  I'm actually thinking about trying to make the convention this year as it's in driving distance but with CV in August and WW Philly this summer, it might be too expensive to pull off.

Other: I picked up the Avatar Gunship and two figures and want to pick up a few more including the AMP Suit, Banshee and Leonopteryx. 

As always, if I find something else that's really cool or fun looking I may buy it.  Just one off stuff mainly, like a Marvel or DC figure or whatever.  I'd pick up the other two Hot Wheels Star Trek ships if they get released, for example.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 5, 2010, 03:27 PM »
Star Wars Legacy, Marvel Universe 3 3/4", Marvel Legends Showdown 3 3/4" (selective), Iron Man and Spider Man 3 3/4".
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 23, 2010, 12:17 PM »
Anyone's outlook for this year changed post-Toy Fair?  Not much new here I guess, I'm all in with the Vintage Collection for Star Wars and pretty much everything else will be pick and choose.

Star Wars

-Vintage Collection (likely most to all), CW (some here and there), OT beasts and vehicles (if new to me), possibly some CW vehicles

-Galactic Heroes (OT sets if/when we see more, definitely the AT-AT)

Other Lines

-Marvel Legends/Universe (pick and choose, likely some Iron Man 2 stuff too)

-DCUC (again, pick and choose...all look great, but I'm trying to cut back.  Primarily Gotham-based, any big names left, and some other favorites)

-MOTUC (subscribed through 2010, so I'm in for the rest of the year - not sure about beyond that)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 23, 2010, 01:37 PM »
Boy am I down to the "not much" category. 

Distribution in Canada has become a huge issue for a lot of stuff here with most things I would have been collecting no longer distributed here - even Hasbro star wars toys are hard to come by. 

I'm dumping ML, DC figs, even a lot of my prequel star wars stuff and some of the OT stuff.  Can't find the greenlight cars up here anymore and I'm disinterested in chasing most of it online. 

If eFX ever releases a regular Vader full size helmet I'd probably buy it to go with my Stormtrooper helmet. 

I'll continue buying GG stuff as it comes and is of interest, so busts and maquettes but I'm caught up except for the Fett Carbonite maquette which I might end up passing on.  Not sure.  Hoping to get that one for under $100  ;)

Still waiting on my Kirby Puckett figure. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.