Author Topic: 2024: What Are You Collecting?  (Read 179562 times)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: 2010: What Are You Collecting?
« Reply #210 on: February 26, 2010, 11:04 PM »
Ah, 2010...

SW - the vintage line, Clone Wars and for the first time in years, the vehicles.

Joes - a few.  Snow Job, Dusty... someone else.

Marvel - a few.  One or two Iron Man figs.  Colossus, Kitty, Nightcrawler, that OMG Juggernaut.

Offline STARKILLER

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 4, 2010, 08:04 PM »
hmmm...its been a slow start to the year so far,the only highlights imo thus far is the DR.DOOM comic pack,the concept snowtrooper and the force unleashed packs,oh and of course the elusive yet to be found in my area eu wave

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
Re: 2009: What Are You Collecting?
« Reply #212 on: May 18, 2010, 10:03 AM »
Here is my list a year later....

Series   
   Type   
   Notes   
Star Wars3.75" Original TrilogyEverything, but I am trying to avoid kit bashers.
Jedi KnightsFrom all EU, OT, & Prequels. This does include Grievous as he comes with Lightsabers.
Jedi ShipsYes I know they are all the same ship just painted differently, but I like them.
OT ShipsOnly new ships they haven't released before, not repaints.
DroidsUnfortunately with the BAD I have ended up getting a bunch of Prequel stuff that I don't want, but I can't get enough droids.
Padme/LeiaJust all the different Padme & Leia's there are because they a ton to collect.
Imperial TroopersNon-Clone figures (Stormtroopers, Snowtroopers, Speeder Bike Troopers, TIE Fighter Pilots, EU Troopers (JUMP, EVO, etc...), and such.
ExclusivesGet all the exclusives in and out of package. Army build as necessary.
EwoksIs what it is.
Rebel PilotsThe inherent pilot in all of us that took ships and flew it around the room has never gone away.
Will be picking up only new figures (not repacks or kit-bashes) of the Vintage Line and the Droids/Jedi from the Clone Wars show for the 3.75" figures, will pick up the Cloud Car & new look AT-AT, but the rest have been selective stuff so those will be only as they appear.

McFarlaneMinnesota TwinsOnly collecting the Home uniforms as I hate the away jerseys.
St. Louis CardinalsAll jerseys for this team as it is my favorite baseball team.
MISC.This is my Hometown collection (just need to replace KG since he is in Boston now) & my Nolan Ryan's & other players I like.
These have been so few and far between that they will just sit there on the back burner. I am not picking up the McFarlane super articulated 4" figures. I don't like the look of them.

TransformersReissuesGenerally stuff from my childhood that I never had that I like.
MasterpieceI have the Megatron and am getting the Grimlock, but I am being very selective of this group due to the price.

I have the Masterpiece Megatron, Grimlock, & the Wal-Mart Starscream & Skywarp. Unless they make something new that I really want I am limiting myself to the Decpticon cassettes to go with my Soundwave.

NECAHarry PotterLike the movie and books and the figures are really good likenesses so it is hard to pass on.
TerminatorJust announced that they are making a Terminator 2 line and the pictures so far kick ass.

It appears that Harry Potter stuff is done. Terminator is getting a 2nd wave, and after how good the 1st wave looked I am definately getting those. I may get the Predators figures, but that is only if they are different from what has already been done.

DST/Art AsylumStargate SG-1All figures plus extras for customizing.
Stargate AtlantisAll figures plus extras for customizing.

Since DST/Art Asylum has said that there will not be any figures for either series this year and the Pre-Order for SG-1 Wave 5 was suppose to originally be filled in July 2009, I am guessing that these series are both done and it is one less thing for me to collect. Not sure what I will do with these figures and the customs I have made.

MISCAny figures that are released that I think are cool for my Movie Collection.
Any figures that I can use to make custom figures of.

This hasn't changed because I am always looking to make new things. Just not that dedicated with the continued downsizing that I have been doing.
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline STARKILLER

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 21, 2010, 07:01 PM »
forgot to list wave 2 of the ironman stuff,and also some motu
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 07:02 PM by STARKILLER »

Offline solrac

• Jedi Padawan
  • fett-ish
    • View Profile
    • bounties
« Reply #214 on: June 14, 2010, 02:01 AM »
Collecting vintage MOC anything and Fett/Mando stuff. Not alot of items this year,but some big money items to fill my Fett collection.
He's no good to me open

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 15, 2010, 10:33 AM »
I keep talking about it, but I think I'm really going to start scaling back and zeroing in on mainly Star Wars again.  I don't think I've bought much SW this year at all (more Marvel/DC/Iron Man) stuff, but as I've talked before I'm having the same problem many of us are - space and money.  Plus, I think my wife's patience for the "non Star Wars" stuff is wearing thin as our office continues to fill up.  From here on out I hope to mainly stick to:

Star Wars - Likely all the "new" figures in the Vintage Collection, and probably some repacks too.  Any new (to me) vehicles from the OT.  Clone Wars figures here and there, there really aren't a whole lot of all new ones each year so it isn't a lot to keep up on.  I'll also buy any new OT based Galactic Heroes sets, but for some reason (with the lack of new 2 packs for awhile) I sort of think this line might be slowing down.  Either way, aside from the AT-AT, it seems to be more CW focused anyways.

Other Lines - I'm in the MOTU sub until the end of the year, beyond that just a handful if I can get them (Man E Faces, Roboto, Stinkor).  Other than that, I'm just going to keep picking and choosing from the DCUC and ML/MU lines.  Likely slowing down a lot on both, and getting a lot choosier with who I really need.  Knowing me, I'll probably continue to pick up at least the main character from each of the "movie" lines going forward too (from Marvel/DC) - as long as they aren't horribly made.  A few Joes here and there are possible too (like next year's Low Light, Snake Eyes).

Other than that, I hope to get a few higher end (to me) things here and there, like a Luke FX saber and maybe more statues/maquettes.  That will just be as money becomes available.  It is just getting to be too much to keep up with for me anymore, and I don't have the money or space for it all anymore.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 15, 2010, 11:24 AM »
With full acknowledgement that my whining is incessant and annoying I'm really very, very little interested in collecting anymore for the most part. 

I'm torn on where to go with vintage stuff.  I'm probably a third to halfway done a carded figure collection but prices continue to ramp up for the SW and ESB carded stuff.  ROTJ is fine and could be easy enough to finish.  But I'm not sure I want to do that and maybe should just sell my carded stuff instead and have the money. 

As for the whiny part, Hasbro just screwed over Canadian collectors for nearly the last year, releasing only CW stuff so I haven't bought anything locally except for a couple of Willrow Hood figures.  Had I seen any other OT stuff I likely would have bought it.  So in the interim I've found myself not wanting to support a company that deems my dollars not necessary for their bottom line.  It would be easy enough to ask for help from a U.S. based friend, but I'm tired of doing that as I've done it for years and years and paid the additional shipping costs, etc.  So I think the end result is I'll severely downsize my modern SW collection to about 100 figures and lose a lot of the other stuff. 

I still like the Gentle Giant stuff and have mostly corrected veering off my OT/mostly imperial philosophy on those ones.  I still need to unload some prequel stuff still but didn't get too far out of control there.  I'll pick up occasional maquettes or busts but not much beyond that. 

Still wanting a MR Obi OT hilt but haven't been able to get that.  Would like an OT Vader full size helmet to display as well but that has yet to come out. 

Still buying the occasional diecast car and other oddity.  Still like McFarlane Sportspicks but not too many players I still want.  Would love to see a Kirby Puckett. 

From a point of spending thousands of dollars a year I'll probably be lucky to spend $1000 this year (not factoring in money I get back from sales which will dwarf that amount and frankly already has) and most of that will go to ebay rather than directly to retail or manufacturers. 

Really don't care much anymore.  Sad.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 16, 2010, 10:04 AM »
I think the "fatigue" of collecting is perfectly understandable Brent, and when you factor in the issues of getting stuff north of the border, I can see why you would lose interest.  I can't say I've totally lost interest in the line as you have, and I'm fairly certain I'll always be picking up figures as long as they make them from the movies (the OT in particular) - but, at the same time, I have been looking around our office (and house in general) and starting to think if I really need all these "toys".

Don't get me wrong, I still really like them, but as our daughter gets older it seems silly to have a room full of toys next to her room full of toys.  Plus, as she hits the teenage years way down the road, I just can't see having so much of this stuff taking up room in our house.  I'm trying to condense things down, and cut back (specifically on non-SW/Spidey stuff)...but its been a long road.  Sometimes I think I just need to unload a bunch of stuff "like a band aid", like some others here have done, and not look back.  That being said, I am really excited about the Vintage Collection coming up, as well as the new OT vehicles.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 16, 2010, 11:57 AM »
Just bumping this up for the whole post-SDCC, post-Celebration V updates.  After seeing everything that is on the way this year, and early next year, anyone changing any collecting habits going into 2011?  I'm pretty much sticking with the same mantra I think.  Pretty much all the Vintage Collection stuff from Star Wars, likely many of the CW figures, "new/upgraded" OT vehicles and beasts that I don't have, possibly a select CW/PT era vehicle here or there.  Oh...and any OT Galactic Heroes we might see.  Other than that, I'm hoping to mainly stick to comic/superhero stuff...DCU Classics, Green Lantern Classics, Marvel Legends (when it returns), and pick and choosing with Marvel Universe.  Some of the Joe POC stuff looks neat too, but as I've said before, money and space are really getting to be a premium at this point.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 16, 2010, 12:12 PM »
No change for me sadly.  I guess there's a few things I want to buy still, like Kubricks and the occasional Hasbro SW product.  But I surprised myself this morning.  I poke my head in the Vintage section every so often and found I haven't paid much attention to SDCC or even to CV this weekend.  I was looking at thread titles going "huh, what's that?"  Probably not a good sign.  

Ultimately I think it's the combination of Hasbro in Canada bailing on us and my lack of interest in harassing my American friends for stuff any longer.  The list of things produced is massive and the list of items not making it to Canadian retail is about 75% of that so I'm just not intersted in paying extra.  

The larger want items remain and I'll buy my Kubricks.  I still like GG stuff but already have buyers remorse over the McQuarrie Vader bust and it hasn't even arrived yet :-X
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 01:12 PM by Morgbug »
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 20, 2010, 03:59 AM »
Trying to cut back but keep finding things to buy.
« Last Edit: September 8, 2010, 01:16 AM by spiderpumpkin »

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 25, 2010, 09:55 PM »
I'm proud to say that I've resisted the new vintage (oxymoron?) SW stuff and have stuck strictly with the MOTU Classics. 

Love that stuff.  I used to spend hours staging battles in my parents' kitchen. . .

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 26, 2010, 09:03 AM »
Currently collecting SW Vintage collection - with sprinkles of figures unique to CW.

GI Joe - Pursuit of Cobra - mostly just single carded figures.

Marvel Universe.

I am starting to get the feeling that I am not too excited over the first two anymore and that my focus may start heading more and more towards Marvel.  We shall see though, Hasbro is pretty good at reeling suckers like me back in... 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: 2011: What Are You Collecting?
« Reply #223 on: January 3, 2011, 04:50 PM »
Well, new year, so I figured I'd bump this one up again.  Anyone adding or dropping anything for the new year?  I'm always attempting (sometimes poorly) to cut back, but overall I'll probably be staying in the same basic areas:

Star Wars - Probably most of the vintage line, and all OT figures (new ones anyways).  Some Clone Wars here and there too, although not complete.  Pretty much OT vehicles only at this point, with maybe the odd PT/CW one here if it is really spiffy.  Running out of room for that stuff.  Same with exclusives/beasts/etc.  OT Galactic Heroes if we ever see any more.

Marvel - Continuing on with the Universe stuff, but not all of it.  The line has gotten much better though.  I'll likely pick up Legends here and there if/when they return, and I know I'll pick up at least some stuff from the movie lines (this year Cap and Thor).

DC - Still picking and choosing from the DCUC line, although I think I'll be buying all of Waves 16 and 17 the way the lineups look.  Also buying the Green Lantern Classics right now, and I'll likely get something from the GL movie stuff, depending on what is out there.

Other than that, hopefully not too much.  I'll pick up the odd Joe or Transformer here and there (usually if they fit in with the 25th or Classics/Universe scheme), but not very many overall.  I also re-upped my MOTU Classics sub earlier in 2010, so I guess I'm in those for another year.  I was on the fence there, but I guess I'm in at least for one more year.  The figures are still great though, just pricey.

There is still some higher end stuff I'd like to get (FX Sabers, statues/maquettes, etc.), but the budget just hasn't allowed it for awhile.  I'm still not all the way caught up on the original SW vintage (loose) stuff either, as I'd like to eventually finish that collection.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
Re: 2011: What Are You Collecting?
« Reply #224 on: January 4, 2011, 12:16 PM »
Looking back to my post from 1/5/2010 it looks like I stuck to my guns on the Star Wars side of things. 

Star Wars Lines:

Hasbro - I only bought new characters or significant upgrades.  Having a 6 month+ break in new items helped the budget and when new stuff did start showing up, I almost couldn't get excited about it.  I bought a couple Starfighter vehicles along with the new Jabba and the AT-AT.  I didn't plan on the AT-AT but for $50 during K-Mart's sale I couldn't pass it up.  I bought some CW figs as well and think Hasbro is doing an excellent job on this line, for the most part.  Managed to finish off the comic packs, thanks to Entertainment Earth.

Sideshow - Didn't buy anything from Sideshow in 2010 and have no plans for 2011 with exceptions for the AT-AT Driver and maybe Boba Fett, seing as how we ddin't get Fett in 2010.  Interested to see if Hot Toys does pick up the SW license or collaborates with Sideshow, that may pull me in for one or two figs, depending.  Acutally, correct that, I did buy an Indiana Jones hat from SS, but I used a gift card and only paid shipping.  So, technically I did buy something from SS.

Gentle Giant - GG is nearly dead to me.  I got the Republic Commandos last year and ended up selling them and besides Talon and the AT-AT Driver, the only other busts I bought were the SDCC McQuarrie Vader and Slave Leia, which I hate.  I bought the Jumbo Fett but unless they get into ESB characters, I don't see myself buying more of those.  I really can't think of anything, other than McQuarrie style busts, that I'd be up for at this point.  The less money I spend with GG the better I feel, and I'll never pre-order a bust again, especially human characters.

Lego - No plans to buy any Lego this year unless they do a new Republic Gunship in some scale or release another variant for the AT-AT Driver minifig.

Other:

GI Joe 3.75": I bought a bunch POC figures in 2010, they're some of the best figures from any line out there in this scale.  Plans for 2011 include more POC figures as well as the GI Joe Club's Dial-Tone figure and I need to order the other three Adventure Team sets (already bought Venom/Commander).  I'm also debating this year's Convention set.

GI Joe 12":  I'm also in for the Club's 2011 membership figure, which I'll probably get with my membership and then order the Dial-Tone.  I like what the Club did for this year's con set, but I'm not as hyped on it as I was last years, which I bought. 

Other: I snagged a few Iron Man 2 figures in 2010 and there are a couple more I'd like to get before they disappear this year.  Other than that, I don't see myself buying any of the Marvel movie lines this year.  Unless some other film comes out with something cool in the 4" scale, I probably won't be buying anything else found in the toy aisles.

I always leave the possibility for exceptions, but I think 2011 will be another slim year with just some basic Star Wars figs (Both VC and CW) and the GI Joe POC line plus some Club exclusives.  These new Crysis 2 figs look interesting and I'll probably end up with a couple.  At some point I think I'll need to downsize my loose SW collection but that may be a tough one both because I have a hard time parting with figures and also because you almost can't give away the older stuff I need to thin out. 

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"