Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 135633 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #165 on: September 19, 2008, 03:30 PM »
Just wanted to pass along this feature over at Newsarama, which is a Friday Flashback focusing on Secret Wars.  I remember this comic and toyline being one of the main things that got me to expand beyond Spider-Man (and Batman) comics at the time, and get into the Marvel Universe as a whole.  Its kind of a nice trip down memory lane of one of the first major line-wide "events" that have become yearly these days.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 20, 2008, 12:10 AM »
Just wanted to pass along this feature over at Newsarama, which is a Friday Flashback focusing on Secret Wars.  I remember this comic and toyline being one of the main things that got me to expand beyond Spider-Man (and Batman) comics at the time, and get into the Marvel Universe as a whole.  Its kind of a nice trip down memory lane of one of the first major line-wide "events" that have become yearly these days.

That's funny.  I was a big Avengers fan and it was the Secret Wars event that got me hooked on Spiderman comics.  I wanted to see what happened with that black suit!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 8, 2008, 09:49 AM »
Just as a warning for those who are interested, it appears that Action Comics #870 (released today) is being spoiled by the NY Daily News (and possibly other media outlets), so you might want to steer clear of those until you get your copy.  I don't know if anyone else here is reading this, but I've really been enjoying this comic since Johns took it over.  Anyways, just a heads up.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #168 on: October 8, 2008, 10:28 AM »
Spoiler space...

I'm just shocked to hear his parents were both alive again...
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 8, 2008, 10:33 AM »
I don't read Action Comics so I went over and read the NY Daily News article.  It'll be interesting to see what the reprecussions are from this event.  It may seem like a somewhat minor event to us, but it'll impact Supes for years.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 8, 2008, 01:03 PM »
On the same note, also steer clear of CNN.com, since they put the spoiler right in the story headline.  Its nothing that I hadn't heard rumored previously, but it still stinks for those who are avoiding spoilers.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 30, 2008, 09:19 AM »
Spoiler space for Final Crisis - Rage of the Red Lanterns one shot.

Holy ****, what an awesome book.  Green Lanterns, Sinestro Corps and Red Lanterns beating the piss out of each other (well, mostly Red Lanterns decimating the Sinestro Corps).  A ******* kitty cat Red Lantern?  That's all kinds of crazy.  Plus the first Blue Lantern appearance and the founding of the Orange Lanterns power source by the Controllers.  Great, great stuff.  And I only imagine Johns and crew are just getting started.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 31, 2008, 01:01 PM »
I was picking up some GL during the Sinestro Corps War run, but had to stop in the middle of that to cut the budget back a bit.  I've been keeping up with bits and pieces through reviews and online chatter, but I haven't picked up an issue for quite some time now.  Everything I've heard makes it sound like this series continues to be amazing, and I'm really tempting to get back into things now.  I suppose I could jump in with this Red Lantern special (and the upcoming #36?), but I'm thinking I'll order the Sinestro Corps hardcovers as well to read through that whole thing.  Is the Origins arc essential reading to catch up as well?  I thought there was some stuff with Atrocitus in there from what I understand, but I was just curious.

I recently streamlined my pull at our local shop (dropping Trinity got rid of four books, so that was helpful - it was boring to me I guess), so I might be able to add another series to the list now.  Its funny, I've always been more of a Marvel person - but the DC titles are starting to catch up a bit.  Between Batman (and Detective), Action Comics, Nightwing, JLA, and possibly now GL and the upcoming Flash, there's a lot of good stuff out there.  I've really been enjoying Action Comics in particular lately, and highly recommend that book as well - best Superman (outside of All-Star) that I've read in a long time.

On the Marvel side of things, I'm still enjoying those books as well.  Aside from the whole One More Day changes, I think Amazing Spidey has been pretty good lately.  The New Ways to Die arc was entertaining, and it was nice to see the Goblin, Eddie Brock, etc. back in the fold.  This week's issue featuring Hammerhead is really fun as well, and I'm excited for where its going.  Captain America continues to be great as well, and I've been enjoying Invincible Iron Man as well.  Personally, I like Secret Invasion well enough, but I always like when all the heroes are together like that - brings me back to Secret Wars :).  I've been reading the Avengers books too, and those are pretty solid.  I'm looking forward to this whole "Dark Reign" thing coming up. Ultimate Spidey is consistently good too.  Anyways, just really enjoying comics right now, its hard to know where to draw the line with the subscriptions/pull list.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 4, 2008, 04:37 PM »
I think there are some rumors of different titles/characters/etc. relaunching post-RIP, but if not, as a Nightwing fan I'm not too crazy about this announcement at Newsarama about the cancellations of Nightwing, Robin, and Birds of Prey come February.  Like I said, this may be (and likely is) RIP related, but it will be interesting to see where these books/characters are headed after this.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #174 on: November 4, 2008, 09:49 PM »
The cancellations have been rumored since around SDCC, interesting to see them finally pan out.

The rumor mill back then was saying that Robin would be cancelled and would be replaced with Red Robin while Nightwing would be replaced by a new Batman and Robin title.  No idea if that's still the plan, or what it means for the characters post-RIP, but I'm hoping they don't severely screw things up. :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 5, 2008, 09:42 AM »
The cancellations have been rumored since around SDCC, interesting to see them finally pan out.

The rumor mill back then was saying that Robin would be cancelled and would be replaced with Red Robin while Nightwing would be replaced by a new Batman and Robin title.  No idea if that's still the plan, or what it means for the characters post-RIP, but I'm hoping they don't severely screw things up. :-\

I've heard/read those same rumors Jeff, it will be interesting to see how/if those pan out.  I've seen some people on forums speculating it would lead to some sort of "Batman Family" type title too, that would encompass all of these characters.  Obviously, it all hinges on the finale of RIP, so we'll have to wait and see.  I've really been enjoying Nightwing lately, and Dick Grayson has always been one of my favorite characters in comics, so I hope he's not gone (or severely changed) alongside these book cancellations/changes.  I'm sure something has to be cooking, because these books (NW in particular) seemed to have pretty decent sales to have them all cancelled all of a sudden.  Its going to be a whole new Bat-verse here in a few months the way it seems.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #176 on: November 28, 2008, 10:40 AM »
Careful of a huge spoiler on the front page of Drudge today, dealing with the Batman R.I.P. storyline.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 28, 2008, 10:46 AM »
Careful of a huge spoiler on the front page of Drudge today, dealing with the Batman R.I.P. storyline.

Ghey.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 20, 2009, 12:45 PM »
A quick question for those of you have (or are currently) buying single-issue comics (weekly comics) on a consistent basis?  Do you hold onto all the individual issues that you pick up each week/month, do you wait for trades for the most part, do you buy the trade and then get rid of single issues?  To be honest, I never really considered getting rid of any comics (and don't know that I would), but I was listening to the IGN Comics podcast this week and someone asked that question and it got me to thinking about the topic.  I'm fine for now, but even picking up 4-5 comics a week will continue to add up over the months/years, and I don't know if we'll have the room to store an entire comics shop in our house :).  Anyways, just curious if anyone here has ever gotten rid of their single issues - or do you hang onto them all?  I guess this pertains more to more recent issues, since many times the older ones may have more nostalgic (or monetary) value.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #179 on: March 20, 2009, 01:07 PM »
I pick up single issues and box them.  I actually want to go through my 80s/90s back-issues and see if any are worth selling.  I'm guessing no.  A friend of mine who owned a comic book shop used to buy back issues by weight, something like $.25 per pound.  He'd pay out $5 or $6 for a long-box.  And that was the best price any dealer paid in town.

TPBs are a good way to go.  You save a little money that way.  But a lot of books never end up in TBP form.

I figure I'm paying for the enjoyment, not making an investment.  Once I'm done they're effectively worthless.  I won't be recycling them any time soon, but I'm guessing my kids will when I'm gone.