Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 135622 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #180 on: March 20, 2009, 01:12 PM »
I pick up single issues and box them.  I actually want to go through my 80s/90s back-issues and see if any are worth selling.  I'm guessing no.  A friend of mine who owned a comic book shop used to buy back issues by weight, something like $.25 per pound.  He'd pay out $5 or $6 for a long-box.  And that was the best price any dealer paid in town.

TPBs are a good way to go.  You save a little money that way.  But a lot of books never end up in TBP form.

I figure I'm paying for the enjoyment, not making an investment.  Once I'm done they're effectively worthless.  I won't be recycling them any time soon, but I'm guessing my kids will when I'm gone.

I agree totally, I'm paying for the enjoyment as well - I don't look at my comics (or action figures for that matter) as an investment at all.  I can just see this heading the same way some people (myself included) have run into in collecting Star Wars - you do it for along enough time, you start running out of room for everything.  I don't know that I'd ever get rid of any comics either, most likely not, but I can see storage space becoming an issue in the future.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 20, 2009, 02:22 PM »
For the last couple of years the only current comic I've been buying in the SW Legacy series and I've been buying the single issues.  I treat it as part of my overall collection.  I want to start the new GI Joe series but haven't yet, I'll probably buy those as singles also.

I do buy older SW series in TPB form where available but have been buying cheap single issues of GI Joe.  I don't plan on switching to TPB for the Joe series.

My older books that I still have from the early to mid '90s are probably worth less than the paper they're printed on now, but I don't have any plans to get rid of them.  There might be one or two in there somewhere that have value to them but I'm just thinking that some day I'll get a chance to read them again or at least leaf through them.  Some day I'll probably get rid of them by just recycling them.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 20, 2009, 11:05 PM »
So are there any hardcore collectors on this board?  Curious if anyone collects older titles or just current. I just finished my personal goal of collecting every major Marvel Title from 1970-1990 (in order with no missing issues) and it was a great feeling to finish off.  For those thinking of getting rid of titles, think twice.  I unfortuneately traded and gave away a ton of issues in the 80's that came back to haunt me.  Notably the Miller Daredevil titles which I had to reaquire. Simply from the Nostalgic POV  I could not see myself getting rid of my books. Although the books published since 1990 have not interested me either in storylines or art and thats why I gave it up.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 15, 2009, 11:59 AM »
Some may have already seen this (spoilers):

Reborn
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 02:00 PM by Brian »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 15, 2009, 01:58 PM »
Some may have already seen this (spoilers):

Reborn

Thanks for posting this.  I figured as much and already subscribed, but nice to have some confirmation.  I think both covers look a little lame - I expected something bigger for this kind of news.  :P
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #185 on: June 15, 2009, 03:11 PM »
Holy crap is that etarded.  Much like when they killed Hawkeye I give Marvel a big FU.  These are humans not super humans...any "resurrection" is just super lame beyond all belief.  I'm glad I don't read comics any more and probably never will again.  Its become a sad marketing tool ever since DC "killed" Superman...in fact how many former heavy hitter Avengers are now currently "dead" and have been killed over the last 4 years?  Hawkeye, Thor, Vision, Ant-Man to name a few...again...lame
My feelings haven't changed in two years...it is still super lame ::)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 16, 2009, 12:02 AM »
Holy crap is that etarded.  Much like when they killed Hawkeye I give Marvel a big FU.  These are humans not super humans...any "resurrection" is just super lame beyond all belief.  I'm glad I don't read comics any more and probably never will again.  Its become a sad marketing tool ever since DC "killed" Superman...in fact how many former heavy hitter Avengers are now currently "dead" and have been killed over the last 4 years?  Hawkeye, Thor, Vision, Ant-Man to name a few...again...lame
My feelings haven't changed in two years...it is still super lame ::)

Here's the track record for Avengers dead off the top of my head:

Hawkeye - died, resurrected by House of M/Scarlet Witch
Thor - died, resurrected
Mockingbird - died, found out it was actually a Skrull imposter who died, so she's back
Captain America - died post WWII, resurrected to join the Avengers, died again, about to be resurrected
Vision - died, brought back with future Kang tech, but mapped to future Kang's brain waves (Simon Williams brain patterns gone)
Ant Man (Scott Lang) - still dead (the new ant-man is an ex SHEILD agent)
Black Goliath - still dead
Jack of Hearts - still dead
Swordsman - still dead

I'd score that as 5 dead and 4 resurrected including Cap now (Vision is technically someone new with a dead guy's powers, just like Ant-Man).  I was pissed when Hawkeye died and actually wrote Marvel a couple of times, so I'm glad they brought him back.  I never really thought Thor or Cap would stay dead.  None of the Marvel "Gods" really ever die to they?  And Cap - his inevitable "resurrection" was all anyone would talk about after issue #25 came out.  I like the Mockingbird reveal too and thought that was a neat way to bring back a little happiness and a new dynamic to Hawkeye, who otherwise should have been crushed losing his wife, cap, and his own life for a while. 

Is it a marketing ploy?  Sure, but I think Marvel's made some good stories out of these "deaths" rather than just bringing heroes back arbitrarily like they do the bad guys.  This really isn't anything new either - when they first brought back Captain America in Avengers #4, they were reviving the dead.  Comics are always recycling characters and usually without the big picture story to back it up.  Cripes look at Batman - can anyone stay locked in Arkham for longer than a week? 

As for Cap, it was inevitable, so I'm glad it's finally here.  Hopefully they use Cap to reverse all the negative vibes in the Marvel universe the last 5 or so years (Avengers disassembled, House of M, Stamford and the New Warriors blown up, Civil War, Skrull Invasion, Iron Man ousted, SHIELD dismantled, Green Goblin replaces all the heroes with bad guys...).  I can't remember the last time I read a feel good Marvel comic.  Cap's an icon and it will be great to have him back.  He's needed as a moral compass for the Marvel heroes and this will hopefully get Iron Man, who can't seem to get over Cap's death, back on track again.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 2, 2009, 11:34 AM »
So, what has everyone been reading these days?  I was just going through and re-organizing some comics into long/short boxes this week, and started to realize how much room these monthlies/weeklies start to take up.  I've been trying to streamline my pull list/subscriptions lately, but now I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't try to switch to trades for more titles - or pass them altogether.  I'm really enjoying a lot of comics lately, but - much like collecting - they are starting to take up more room in our house than they should.

Anyways, here's some of what I've been reading right now:

Marvel
Subscribed/Pulled: Amazing Spider-Man, Uncanny X-Men, New Avengers, Fantastic Four, Captain America, Invincible Iron Man
Checking Out: Ultimate Spider-Man (what's left), Wolverine: Weapon X, Daredevil, Mighty Avengers, War of Kings MiniSeries

DC
Pulled: Batman, Batman and Robin, Green Lantern, Superman: World of New Krypton, Flash: Rebirth, and upcoming Blackest Night
Checking Out: Batman: Streets of Gotham, Gotham City Sirens

Other - G.I. Joe (Main Series)

I was going to comment individually, but thought that might get a little lengthy.  Some general thoughts - aside from the whole BND controversy, I think Amazing Spider-Man has been the best it has been in a long, long time.  I've really been enjoying it every week, and it has been especially good this year.  I'm sort of giving quite a few of the Batman books a chance right now, but Batman/Batman and Robin are the constants for me.  I'm not sure about the Damian character overall yet, but I do like there is a title called "Batman and Robin" - hopefully it sticks around if/when (when) Bruce returns.  Otherwise, looking forward most to the Blackest Night stuff - hopefully it is as good as it looks so far.  I recently dropped the Justice League comic, because I was bored to tears with the team without having the "big guns" involved.  I might pick it up again later this year when James Robinson takes over, if we start seeing Batman/Superman/WW/Flash/GL together again.  I know there are different opinions on it, but to me that is the Justice League I want to read about.

I'm also not reading a Star Wars comic for the first time in awhile.  I thought about checking out Invasion, but we'll see.  I've also read Ultimate Spidey pretty much from the beginning, but I'm wondering if I'll continue on with the "Ultimate Comics" restart or not.  If anything, it might just be a TPB thing.  Overall though, lots of good reads out there these days - but I'm still trying to decide what to cut, if anything.  Like I said, it is just a lot of space taken up by the individual issues at this point.  Has anyone else here switched to trades, or kind of a mix of both?

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 2, 2009, 02:33 PM »
The only steady comic I've been reading over the last few years ins Star Wars: Legacy.  I've been buying that monthly.  Over the last couple of years now I have been going back and picking up trades of older SW series like the X-Wing series, Tales, and any one shots and trades of short-run series that were out.

This year at WW Philly I picked up some trades for Knights of the Old Republic (first 3 volumes) on the cheap.  If they're good I'll probably pick up 4 through whatever the current trade is but I don't think I'll get into the single issues.

I do want to start picking up the new IDW GI Joe books though.  I have a couple but need to pick up the other back issues I'm missing.  Those I plan on buying on a monthly basis when I get caught up.

Other than Legacy and the Joe comics, anything else I read I'll wait for the TPB.  There are times I miss reading some of the superhero comics but have never gotten to the point where I felt like it would be the right time to jump back in on a monthly title, so I've stayed away for the most part.

Right now, I just started reading Star Wars Tales volume 1 and I think I have the full set of the TPBs now.  I bought 4 of them in Philly and had a couple from previous years.  So that should be some good reading for a couple weeks.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #189 on: July 2, 2009, 11:51 PM »
My regulars:

Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 8, Fables, House of Mystery

Checking Out:

Batman & Robin, Gotham City Sirens, Star Wars: Invasion (all today!)

I read Astonishing X-Men when Joss wrote it, but I can't make heads or tails of X-comics nowadays.  I used to love Ultimate Spidey, but the charm wore off somewhere.  Most superhero comics don't do it for me anymore.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 3, 2009, 12:46 PM »
Nice interview with Geoff Johns regarding all things GL and Blackest Night is up over at Newsarama - plenty of Star Wars references too :).

On a side note, your guys' pull lists look much more manageable - I must be the only one crazy enough to be 10+ comics a month :).

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 3, 2009, 06:25 PM »

On a side note, your guys' pull lists look much more manageable - I must be the only one crazy enough to be 10+ comics a month :).

Nope.

Daredevil
Ultimate Spider-man
JSA
JLA
Teen Titans
Green Lantern
Green Lantern Corps
Batman and Robin
Batman
Detective Comics
Red Robin
Gotham City Sirens
Steets of Gotham
Secret Six
Savage Dragon

And that doesn't count any limited series - Capt. American Reborn, Flash Rebirth', JL:Cry for Justice, etc.  I'll also be grabbing all the Blackest Night series.  And that also doesn't include the books I read in TPB form - 100 Bullets, The Boys, Powers and what ever else looks interesting.

Yeah, I spend way too much on comics.
« Last Edit: July 3, 2009, 06:27 PM by Mikey D »
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 16, 2009, 08:53 AM »
So Blackest Night officially started yesterday and holy ****, what a doozy of a first issue (so much so that I read it twice).  I won't spoil anything specifically, but Johns and team certainly didn't waste any time bringing the zombies back and jumped right into the action.  Add to that the killing off of two fairly major characters, one of them in a pretty vicious manner that I would never expect said character to endure (I can't wait to see their zombie forms) and BN is off to a great start.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #193 on: July 16, 2009, 11:12 AM »
So Blackest Night officially started yesterday and holy ****, what a doozy of a first issue (so much so that I read it twice). 

These are the weeks that I HATE having mail-order comics.  It's going to be soooooooo hard to avoid the spoilers until my comics get here...  :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #194 on: July 16, 2009, 11:18 AM »
Whatever happened with the Red Hulk storyline. Do we know who it is yet?
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"