Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 135651 times)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #225 on: August 30, 2010, 04:03 PM »
Just curious what anyone else is reading/enjoying.

Shadowland (including spinoffs)
Daredevil
Dark Wolverine/Daken
Secret Avengers
FrankenCastle (got hooked when Daken aced him)

Crap gotta go for a bit brb w/ more
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #226 on: September 1, 2010, 04:39 PM »
My current list is down to just 8 monthlies -
Batman, Batman and Robin, Detective Comics, Brightest Day, The Flash, GL, GL Corps, GL:Emerald Warriors

I'm also buying the Return of Bruce Wayne mini and will probably grab the main Batman - The Return 1-shot (but not all the tie-ins fore each bat-title).  Oh and I'll definitely pick up Grant Morrison's Batman, Inc. when that starts later this year (I already dropped Red Robin to make room in the budget for it).
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 1, 2010, 06:39 PM »
My current list is down to just 8 monthlies

Don't you miss out on the discount with <10 regulars?  I was sitting at 9, so I scooped up Avengers Academy in addition to these:

All Avengers Series
All Iron Man Series
Hawkeye & Mockingbird
New Mutants (will probably drop this soon as all the stories lately tie to other X Titles that I Don't read  ::)  )
Transformers (Reg Series, Ironhide, Bumblebee, Spotlight, etc.)
All Star Wars (Currently just Invasion and Old Republic)
Thor
Valkrye (We'll see how this one goes - she's been interesting enough back in the avengers & has ties to Thor, so I'll give it a shot)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #228 on: September 1, 2010, 10:32 PM »
Don't you miss out on the discount with <10 regulars? 

My discount dropped from 20% down to 15% when I went below eleven, but it's still more than enough to offset shipping.

Discounts -
0 - 4 Monthly Titles: 5%
5 - 10 Monthly Titles: 15%
11 - 20 Monthly Titles: 20%
21 - 30 Monthly Titles: 25%
31 - 50 Monthly Titles: 30%
51 or more Monthly Titles: 35%

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 1, 2010, 10:42 PM »
Forgive my ignorance, but where do you order from that offers this staggered discount?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #230 on: September 1, 2010, 10:46 PM »
www.scifigenre.com

I've been buying my books there for a few years now.  Service has always been great.  Easy interface to set up and manage your monthly pull list.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 2, 2010, 09:19 AM »
www.scifigenre.com

I've been buying my books there for a few years now.  Service has always been great.  Easy interface to set up and manage your monthly pull list.

Great.  Thanks for the link.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 2, 2010, 10:01 PM »

Valkrye (We'll see how this one goes - she's been interesting enough back in the avengers & has ties to Thor, so I'll give it a shot)

She's hot.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 7, 2010, 02:04 PM »
My current list is down to just 8 monthlies -
Batman, Batman and Robin, Detective Comics, Brightest Day, The Flash, GL, GL Corps, GL:Emerald Warriors

I'm also buying the Return of Bruce Wayne mini and will probably grab the main Batman - The Return 1-shot (but not all the tie-ins fore each bat-title).  Oh and I'll definitely pick up Grant Morrison's Batman, Inc. when that starts later this year (I already dropped Red Robin to make room in the budget for it).

Much like with collecting, I admire your restraint.  I've been working on trimming down my monthlies as well, and I need to get better at that.  Much like with collecting Star Wars/etc. it is tough to find both the budget (especially with $4 books now) and storage space for so many, as they start piling up.

As I mentioned earlier, I get most of my Marvel books via subscription (stemming back to a time when we didn't live anywhere near a comic shop), and that makes them much more affordable too (about $1.67 an issue I think).  With that, my current subs look like this:

Amazing Spider-Man
Uncanny X-Men
Fantastic Four
Avengers (Avengers, New, and Secret right now)
Captain America
Iron Man
Ultimate Spider-Man

I've also been reading/checking out books like Wolverine, X-Men, and Daredevil off and on, and pick up any minis or "events" at our local shop (like Shadowland).  For the DC stuff, my list is very similar to Jeff's:

Batman
Batman and Robin
Batman Inc. (upcoming)
Green Lantern
The Flash
Superman
Brightest Day

I was reading JLA, but just wasn't enjoying it that much.  If/when they get better stories and back to more of a "big 7" lineup, I'd likely pick that up again.  Teen Titans is another book I like, but haven't been interested in lately.  I'm on the fence with Finch's upcoming "Batman: The Dark Knight", I may pick that up as well.  I also like GLC, but have tried to stay with just the core GL book for now.  I've also been picking up The Return of Bruce Wayne and Batman Beyond on the mini side of things.

Other than that, the only other title (and only non Marvel/DC book) that I'm getting is the recently (re)launched GI Joe: Real American Hero.  I'm really enjoying it so far, but I'm debating on whether or not I should wait for trades on this at all.  Not a matter of not liking it, but just trying to trim the pull list a bit.  Ideally, I think I should keep the number of titles to around 10 monthlies, but just haven't been able to make that many cuts yet.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 18, 2010, 06:56 PM »
Just a minor note, but we were at TRU today and I noticed that they had a small section of comics for sale.  Our store at least hadn't ever had these before, but it was towards the back of the store (next to the action figures, cars, etc. aisles) and right above they had some of the direct to DVD movies (mainly the DC ones actually).  The comics seemed to pretty much be kids fare (Scooby Doo, Looney Tunes, etc.) along with DC titles - and actually fairly recent ones (Flash#3, 4, Superman #701, Batgirl #12, etc.)  Definitely not the entire library (and surprisingly, not a Batman book on the stands aside from "Batman: the Brave and the Bold" - unless they were sold out), but a few of the more recent books at normal prices.  Anyways, just kind of nice to see.  In a way, it reminded me of my youth, when I got basically all of my comics from our local drug store.  Just nice to see them at a retail outlet like that, and hopefully it is something that proves successful.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 19, 2010, 01:46 PM »
I noticed comics at TRU the last time I stopped, about 2 or 3 weeks ago now, but didn't pay that much atteention to what was there.  I'm pretty sure what caught my eye was a Star Wars title, though.  Not sure how long they've been at TRU, I stop very rarely as I don't have a TRU closer than about 25 miles.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 20, 2010, 01:01 PM »
What do comics retail for now in the U.S.?  I haven't bought any in so long I no longer have a clue.  I know I pick up the occasional one in Walmart to read in the aisle briefly and some of the pricing was downright absurd. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 20, 2010, 01:10 PM »
Most are $2.99, some are $3.99.

I spend way too much on comics a week, I really need to cut back my pull list or wait for TPBs.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 20, 2010, 01:19 PM »
Thanks.  That's not too bad really considering back in 1984 I was paying $0.75 - 0.95 per book.  The prices really started ramping up around the early 90s I think.  I've seen issues at Walmart with a $6.99 price point and I just about crapped my drawers. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 20, 2010, 02:41 PM »
Most are $2.99, some are $3.99.

I spend way too much on comics a week, I really need to cut back my pull list or wait for TPBs.

That's what I'm in the process of figuring out as well.  I probably buy too many anyways, but so many of them are switching to $3.99 now, the dollar amount is getting ridiculous as well.  I'm thinking about starting to wait for trades on some things as well, or just do without.  Aside from the prices, I'm really kind of enjoying comics these days overall.  Still some crap out there, and everyone has their preferences, but I'm pretty happy with what I've been reading for the most part.

I think I mentioned it before, but since my comic reading started prior to being in a "city" with a comic shop, I still get the majority of my Marvel books through subscriptions.  It really works out pretty well, particularly with the higher prices now, as a year's subscription is about $20, or about $1.67 or something an issue.  I usually get them one week later than the stand date, and have rarely had a problem with damage (although I'm not as picky as some maybe with that).  I hit our local shop once or twice a month for DC stuff, maybe an additional Marvel book here or there, and right now the GI Joe: RAH series.  I'm thinking about starting to wait for trades on stuff like the Joes and most minis, just because it would save a bit and I think I could wait.  Much like Star Wars, things have ballooned since I first got back into comics.  I started out with just Spidey, then added Batman, then X-Men...Avengers....Fantastic Four...Green Lantern...etc. until I got to the point where I read 12-20 books a month I guess.