Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 135631 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #240 on: October 8, 2010, 11:15 AM »
I read news yesterday that DC is going to be dropping its $3.99 books back to $2.99 (and dropping the second features) on titles like Batman Inc., Batman: The Dark Knight, Emerald Warriors, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Streets of Gotham, JLA, etc. starting in January.

This is definitely good news, and I certainly hope Marvel follows suit (at least with "regular sized" books).  Honestly, the majority of the "second features" from either company I could take or leave anyways.  I think I'd rather save the $1.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 27, 2010, 11:08 AM »
So I've starting getting back into comics again recently, no new stuff, but attempting to pick up all the numerous variant covers and things I missed over the years from Image, Wildstorm, etc.

I've had to resort to buying off of eBay because none of the titles I need are in any of the comic shops around here and for some reason none can ever be found at any of the conventions that come through town.

Anyway, I got an email over the weekend inviting me to join the "eBay Super Comic Collectors Group" or some such thing and I'm wondering if this is just some kind of phishing scam or actually something legit. I have been an avid eBayer for over fifteen years and have never heard of them having any kind of dedicated user groups or anything like that.

Has anyone else heard of this?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #242 on: December 27, 2010, 12:03 PM »
I've never heard of them, but apparently eBay does have Collector Groups:

http://groups.ebay.com/groups/Collectors-Clubs/112
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #243 on: January 7, 2011, 04:43 PM »
Maybe you guys can lead me in the right direction.  I've always been more of a toys, movies and toons guy, but recently I've had the urge to start reading some of the DC comic storylines.  The universe is so expansive, I'm not really sure of the best place(s) to start.  So far these are the only graphic novels I've read:

Batwoman: Elegy
Final Crisis
Superman: Escape from Bizarro World
Batman: Killing Joke
Supergirl: Way of the World
Jack Kirby's OMAC

I have a few waiting in the wings (Superman/Batman: Supergirl, Superman: Last Son, Justice League: Second Coming, Crisis on Infinite Earths) and I've started up a couple of recent series (Zatanna, Wonder Woman 600+, Batman: The Dark Knight).  What are some other "must reads" that I should add to that list?

John

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 10, 2011, 10:58 AM »
It all depends on your tastes I suppose, but as far as DC books I'd say top on the list over the past year or two has been Batman and Robin (by Grant Morrison).  Now, the creative team is switching over (to Pete Tomasi, who is also good), but you can get Morrison's run in trades/hardcovers if you're interested.  It is all very good.  He has now moved over to a new title, Batman Inc., which looks great as well.  I'd also recommend the Green Lantern books.  Personally, I've only read the main title every month for the past few years, but I've heard great things about GL Corps and the newer Emerald Warriors as well.

Otherwise, I hear great things about Secret Six (although I don't read it), and some other titles.  Superman seems pretty boring to me right now, and JLA is a mess (or at least it was when I dropped it six months ago).  I do like the current Flash run, but it isn't anything like "you must read it".  It has been good so far, and will be going into its own little event (Flashpoint) this year.  I think all the Batman stuff is pretty decent though, at least I enjoy it enough.  As far as the other DC titles, maybe someone else can shed more light.  Admittedly, I mostly stick to the "big guns" (Batman, GL, Flash, Superman, etc.).

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #245 on: January 25, 2011, 11:17 AM »
To keep this thread spoiler free, all Fantastic Four talk has been moved to the existing thread.  Thanks!
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 10, 2011, 02:07 PM »
Although I'm sure this could also be posted elsewhere, I figured this was as good a place as any.  IGN has released their list of the Top 100 Comic Book Heroes.  I know it is of course all a matter of opinion, but it makes for an interesting read so I thought I'd post it here.  You can check out pics, info and video at the link for all 100, but here's the Top 10 for anyone interested:

10.  Daredevil
9.  The Hulk
8.  The Flash (Wally West)
7.  Green Lantern (Hal Jordan)
6.  Captain America (Steve Rogers)
5.  Wonder Woman
4.  Wolverine
3.  Spider-Man
2.  Batman
1.  Superman

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 10, 2011, 08:32 PM »
Drop the Hulk and Wolverine and I'd say those are all in the Top 20 for me to an extent in a different order. 

Hulk and Wolverine don't crack the top 50. (IF I could name 50 that is)

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #248 on: May 11, 2011, 01:44 AM »
I dont get the whole Superman appeal, I like my super heroes with a more gritty internal flaw.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 11, 2011, 08:35 AM »
I dont get the whole Superman appeal, I like my super heroes with a more gritty internal flaw.

You pretty much just summarized why Marvel >>> DC Comics from the 60's-80's. Agree 100%.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #250 on: May 11, 2011, 10:25 PM »

You pretty much just summarized why Marvel >>> DC Comics from the 60's-80's. Agree 100%.

Also why i prefer Marvel over DC.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 12, 2011, 02:06 AM »
I can't believe Daredevil and Hulk are in the top ten, but not Iron Man.  What a bunch of Haters.  Iron Man founded the Avengers and has stayed on to lead them across multiple teams.  He's been everything from the billionaire industrialist playboy to the secretary of defense to a flat out broke and homeless alcoholic.  He has been a key player in almost every major marvel event (Secret Wars, Siege, Cival War, Secret Invasion - you name it).  What in the hell have Hulk or Daredevil that even comes close to this? 

And how in the world does Green Arrow rank higher than Hawkeye?  Greg Miller seems a bit too DC biased to me. I also don't think Supes belongs at #1 anymore.  Batman seems wildly more popular in both the movies and the comics.  I think most of the rest of the list makes sense, but would change it up a little:

1. Batman
2. Spiderman
3. Superman
4. Wolverine (hate all you want, he's on the X-Men, X-Force, Avengers, and still has time for his own book and a new girlfriend.  Definitely the best there is at what he does)
5. Captain America
6. Wonder Woman
7. Iron Man
8. Green Lantern
9. Flash
10. Thor  (probably the best alter ego on the list and bolstered by the fact that he is now one of the few remaining with a movie)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 26, 2011, 08:56 PM »
In the same fashion as the earlier list, IGN has also done a rundown of their Top 100 Villains in Comic Books.  They list 100, but here's the Top 10 for anyone interested:

1. Magneto
2. Joker
3. Doctor Doom
4. Lex Luthor
5. Galactus
6. Darkseid
7. Ra's Al Ghul
8. Loki
9. Dark Phoenix
10. Kingpin

An interesting list once again.  I think, although maybe not in that order, the Top 4 are pretty good.  The rest of the list, I'm sort of surprised not to see villains like Sinestro, Green Goblin/Norman Osborn, Red Skull, etc. included over some of the others within the Top 10.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #253 on: May 26, 2011, 09:26 PM »
3. Doctor Doom
4. Lex Luthor
2. Joker
5. Galactus
1. Magneto
6. Darkseid
7. Ra's Al Ghul
8. Loki
9. Dark Phoenix
10. Kingpin

Add Thanos, Green Goblin.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #254 on: May 27, 2011, 12:34 AM »
Honorable mention to the original Hobgoblin.  I might be dating myself but that was a great storyline.
This is the way.

I have spoken.