Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 135647 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #375 on: July 3, 2012, 05:41 PM »
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/marvel-now-reevolution-uncanny-avengers.html

It looks like there will be some Comic Con announcements, as this is part of EW's SDCC preview (which I just got in the mail today).  It just has that one piece of Quesada art (that is shown in the article), and announces a handful of series: Uncanny Avengers (by Remender, with Cap, Wolvie, Rogue, Havok, etc.), a new twice shipping Avengers book (by Hickman, with a roster of 18), and All New X-Men (Bendis, involving the original five X-Men time traveling to current time or something like that.  Sounds like some books will be getting new number 1s (which happens all the time anyways), but it won't be a reboot like DC did with the new 52.  From recent rumors, it sounds like there will be a number of creative team changes with the Marvel books, post A vs X.

UPDATED: Sounds like it is Marvel confirmed, all of this is part of Marvel NOW! initiative.

I'm totally confused by this.  Is the Uncanny Avengers an in continuity book?  Same with Avengers?  The cover shown looks like movie/Ultimates characters, but the article references AvsX, which is part of the mainline continuity.  I don't see any logical reason why Cap and thor would join the X-Men...that's ridiculous.  Is Phoenix going to rewrite part of history or something goofy like that?  Hate Hate Hate this idea.  Why can't they go back to the 80's style of character building and fighting soemthing less than world shattering, universe-threatening events?  Might be time to wrap up the comic subscriptions.

I'm far more excited about the continuation of Marvel Transformers with Transformers Regeneration...
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: July 3, 2012, 08:50 PM »
A lot more info to come at SDCC I'm sure, but from what I understand is that "Uncanny Avengers" is a combo book - not sure if there is two factions (Avengers and X-Men) or if it is some sort of new team with both Avengers and X-Men included.  They have a little more detailed information available at EW now:

http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/07/03/marvel-now-jean-grey-exclusive/

Here's what the mentioned about Uncanny Avengers:

Remender describes this as “a bridge book, something that can delve into both worlds. It has a natural purpose for existing after AvX, where we can focus on human-mutant relations. The broad strokes are: Captain America comes out of AvX and recognizes that he hasn’t done enough to help the mutants.” The book will be drawn by John Cassaday, and will include heavy-hitters like Cap, Thor, and Wolverine, but Remender is also excited to focus on some less well-known characters, like Cyclops’ little brother Havok. “Havok’s always been the black sheep rock-and-roller of the Summers family. He can’t do that anymore. You’re going to see Havok become one of the biggest players in the Marvel Universe.”

There is a bit more at the link.  I think all of these three books (Uncanny Avengers, Avengers, and All New X-Men) are supposed to be in continuity - although the X-Men book (by Bendis) is a bit of a wild card because it involves the original team traveling to the current timeline (a way of bringing Jean Grey back, as well as younger versions of the others).  Not sure if the "regular" versions are around as well, or if they are replacing them, or what.  Also, I did read that the preview image making the rounds (by Joe Quesada) is not any particular team, more of a promo for the whole "Marvel NOW!" initiative.  They are very specific to say it is not a reboot, but a sort of relaunch with books launching from Oct to Feb.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: July 12, 2012, 03:09 PM »
So if anyone is interested... Comic Store Heroes premieres tomorrow on Nat Geo.

I normally wouldn't be too concerned with this, but one of the guys who the show follows around (Thor) is a good friend of mine.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: July 12, 2012, 04:37 PM »
I shop there!  I was there yesterday and they were promoting it with signs, etc.  One had Thor on it (no, not the Avenger, Rob's friend).

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: July 31, 2012, 02:41 PM »
Ooh - it's Kick Ass the Arab Green Lantern - with a gun!  He's got the damned most powerful weapon in the whole DCU on his right hand, but he still packs a gun in the other just to show you he means business!!!  AWSOMEZZZ!~!!

So glad I quit the nu52DCU when I did...   ::)  ::)  ::)

Just touching on the whole new GL thing again...they've announced his name, and it is....

Baz

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/new-green-lanterns-name.html

They could have pretty much named him Badazz, as they seem to be getting Extreeeme with the whole thing anyway.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: August 1, 2012, 03:04 PM »

Is he wearing a Mexican wrestling mask?

The Green Luchador?
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #381 on: August 1, 2012, 03:09 PM »
Nacho Verde!
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 2, 2012, 02:18 PM »
So, has anyone here been sticking with the New 52 stuff at all?  I know even Jeff had dropped out of it a few weeks back, and I was wondering what everyone else thought.  I've enjoyed some of it (Batman in particular, which really didn't need a "reboot"), but some of the other stuff I've just had a hard time staying interested in.  I do like the GL book for the most part, although I'm not sure what to think of this new guy and what that means.  I've been stringing along with some of the other titles thinking "I'll just finish this storyline", but it may be time to cut the cord on a lot of it.  I need to cut back the number of comics I read anyway, storing them all (not to mention spending money on them) is getting a bit out of hand.

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 9, 2012, 06:56 PM »
Been picking up the new Valiant stuff, I like it so far but it's too bad they no longer have the rights to the Gold Key guys.  Also came back to DC for the new 52.  Some of it is good, some is ok, most is ugly.  I like Action Comics, Batman and Batman and Robin.  Aquaman, GL and the LSH has been ok, probably stick with those.  Been reading JLA just because of Captain Marvel, they should have put him on his own Earth IMO.  I picked up the Earth 2 book and the World's Finest one, probably will drop them soon though.  This universe will probably only go another year or so then they will retcon it.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 22, 2012, 10:23 AM »
Move over Lois....the DCU changes continue:

Superman's New Squeeze
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 10:24 AM by Brian »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 11, 2012, 02:29 PM »
Anyone here sticking with any of the "New 52" stuff at DC?  I'll admit I've been reading (and enjoying) some of it, but wasn't thrilled with this recent news that Gail Simone has been essentially fired off of the Batgirl comic.  I always enjoyed her writing (particularly with Babs), and am a fan of the Barbara Gordon Batgirl, not sure why they would make this move.  From what I've seen from her twitter posts, she seemed surprised as well.  Other than that, some quality books, Batman in particular has been pretty amazing I think.  I've been disappointed in the Superman books, and have dropped all of them at this point (just doesn't feel like Superman to me).  I'm still trying to cut back on comics and get out of the mindset of buying books just because of the character, regardless of the writer/artist and/or story.  I could save quite a bit of money if I could do that.

On the Marvel side of things, I've really been liking a lot of the Marvel NOW stuff (although it is just getting started).  Most everything I've picked up has been pretty great between the Avengers and X-Men books, as well as F4.  I'm not so sure about the direction they are going with Spidey right now (I won't discuss details for the spoiler sensitive), but hopefully it works its way out soon.  Overall, still reading too many comic books :).

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 11, 2012, 05:18 PM »
I've resisted all of the new DC stuff - was a little tempted to try some of it, but like you I feel like I've already got too many titles coming in already.  I have yet to finish off the AvX storylines or read any of the new Marvel Now stuff, but I'm hopefull based on what I've heard thus far.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #387 on: December 11, 2012, 05:33 PM »
I've been tempted to pick up the nu52 Snyder Court of Owls Batman stuff (either digital or trade), but just haven't done it yet.  Depending on the end reviews of the overal story, I may pick up the latest Joker story too (despite hating the Joker's new look  ::)).

And I still miss Wally West.   :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: December 26, 2012, 01:08 PM »
I've dropped all of the New 52 except Batman, Batman and Robin, Justice League and Aquaman

So Amazing Spider-Man #700 drops today, which is the "final" issue to set up the rebooted Superior Spider-Man... lame SWERVE to "end" the series, if you haven't read about it already ::)
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #389 on: December 26, 2012, 02:49 PM »
New Spidey is lame  ::)
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird