Community > Watto's Junk Yard

Comic Book Thread

<< < (87/102) > >>

BillCable:
The Ultimates Universe Nick Fury character design was based off Sam Jackson.  When they cast Nick Fury for the movies, they went with the Ultimates version (as they did with more than a few plot elements).  The movie Nick Fury was such a hit, that when the Ultimates Universe had a cross-over event with the traditional Marvel Universe, they decided to swap Nick Furys so the Marvel Nick could keep an eye on the Ultimates universe, and vice-versa.  So now the regular Marvel Nick Fury is Sam Jackson.

Phrubruh:
So which Nick Fury is David Hasselhoff playing?

JediJman:

--- Quote from: BillCable on August 18, 2014, 11:39 AM ---The comic books are insignificant from a business perspective. 

--- End quote ---

They're totally different divisions with different profit targets and business plans. Obviously the general movie audience is bigger than small percent of comic readers.  Cheerios is ridiculously larger than Frankenberry cereal - doesn't mean Frankenberry doesn't have it's own business plans for growth.  I don't think anyone is suggesting that the movies have or should change to map to the comics are they?   ???

As I was saying, the comics have historically tried to link to what we see in the movies as the familiar look of the characters may draw in new readers from the significantly larger movie audience.  Since we've seen so much of this from Marvel, there's obviously some shift in the philosophy/strategy on the comic side to roll out Black Cap and Thor Lady when the movie side is at the top of it's game with the original characters.

--- Quote from: P-Siddy on August 18, 2014, 12:43 PM ---
--- Quote from: JediJman on August 18, 2014, 10:44 AM ---and they even replaced Nick Fury with Nick Fury Jr. to get the Sam Jackson look. 
--- End quote ---

Did not know this and checked out an image... really?  He's got the eye patch, too?

--- End quote ---

Yeah, pretty ridiculous if you ask me.  Crusty old white Fury was such an integral part of the Marvel U for decades.  At least there's an explanation behind his change.  Hawkeye just shows up with shades instead of a mask mid-storyline for the Avengers.   ::)

Nicklab:
It looks like the exposure of the Black Widow's past in Captain America - The Winter Soldier is going to be further explored in upcoming Marvel Comics.  And real-world players from the media like Anderson Cooper of CNN will be depicted investigating Natasha and her somewhat questionable past.  I think it's actually pretty interesting and topical.  But it could also have the effect of make the book seem deliberately dated.

BillCable:
Because - fan service...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dcs-catwoman-comes-as-bisexual-778030

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version