Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 135678 times)

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2005, 12:28 PM »
Scarlet Witch had a nervous breakdown when she killed off Hawkeye, Vision, and someone else!! Avengers had disbanded, and left her to her father's care!! All of the sudden a white light and the universe had drastically changed. Instead of Homo Sapiens rulling the planet, Homo Superior did. It was like a world of Kingdoms, Magneto had his kingdom, Namor had his, etc!! Spidey was married to Gwen with a kid Prof X was dead. Captain America was an old man since he was never frozen in the block of ice. Just a lot of changes!!

Wolverine was in charge of a mutant team, Mystique, Toad, and others were under his command. But he was the only person who seemed to remember his real past. Eventually breaking through the lies he gets to Emma Frost who is in turn able to bring back the memories of others.

All signs pointed to Magneto being the person behind the events. But it turns out that it was Quicksilver who pushed Wanda into creating the alternate Universe. And that's all I remember from the books. I know all the crossover comics had no real tie in, IMHO. I just got the mini series!! Hope that helped some!! I would suggest getting the rest of the main mini series, leave the rest of the crossovers alone, not really needed.
"I off one fat Angelino and you throw a hissy fit."
-Vincent

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2006, 10:57 AM »
I don't know if anyone else here has been reading "the Other" storyline in the Spidey comics, or maybe just hearing about it, but there is a new costume coming at the end of the arc, courtesy of Tony Stark (Iron Man).  Marvel.com has updated with what the new costume will look like, clicky here if you want to see it.  I won't post the picture here just in case anyone wants to avoid spoilers, or just avoid the costume :P, but you can see it at the link above.  I'm sure it won't last (I hope not), but it sure is a different take.  I can see why the colors are what they are, but I don't think I'd mind it as much if it were in Spidey's classic colors, or even black and white.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2006, 04:04 PM »
So what has everyone been reading lately?  Anything in particular that is standing out, or some new comics/titles you are thinking about getting into?  I was hoping to narrow down my titles this year and save some money, but I'm finding there are more and more I'm intersted anymore.  Here's what I've been reading, at least somewhat consistently lately:

Marvel
Ongoing Titles: Amazing Spider-Man, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, Astonishing X-Men, Fantastic Four, New Avengers
Ultimate Line: Ultimate Spider-Man, Ultimate Fantastic Four, Ultimate X-Men, Ultimate Extinction (mini), Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk (mini)
Other Mini-titles: X-Men: Deadly Genesis

The big ones I always pick up are Amazing Spidey, F4, and Astonishing X-Men, but I've started to pick up New Avengers pretty regularly the past couple months as well.  I have also liked Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man so far, and I'm probably going to pick this up regularly as well...at least to give it a chance after "the Other" is now done.  I've really become more interested in the Ultimate line lately.  It used to only be Ultimate Spidey for me, but after giving F4 a chance, I've really liked that one as well.  I've picked up the last few Ultimate X-Men issues to give it a chance as well.  Ultimate Extinction is a mini that is just getting started, and I got the first issue of Ult Wolvie vs. Hulk, which looks good.

DC
Ongoing: Superman, Action Comics, JLA (currently done), The Flash (currently done), Superman/Batman, Batman
All-Star: Superman
Mini: Infinite Crisis

The main thing here has been Infinite Crisis, which I think has been great so far.  I'll always pick up the "flagship" Superman title, so that is a regular one as well.  I've got the first couple issues of All-Star Superman, which I think is really good as well.  I'm missing The Flash right now, but the title is supposed to be coming back in June.  I don't know who will be in the tights at that point, so we'll see.  He's always been a favorite of mine, so I plan on continuing on.  JLA is always done for now, but supposed to be seeing a relaunch as "Justice League of America" later this summer.  I'll be back on for that as well.  Superman/Batman is a title I've always liked, its been a little slower between issues lately though.  I haven't picked up Batman for awhile now, although I do like the character.

Things just aren't nearly as limited as I had hoped this year, as I've been tempted to check out some other titles here and there.  I started back into comics just wanting to stick to Spider-Man, then to stick to my favorite heroes:  Spider-Man, Superman, the Flash, X-Men, Fantastic Four, JLA, Batman.  I've since grown fonder of New Avengers, and I'm really liking the Ultimate titles now as well.  Its hard to know where to make the cut off.  I'm hoping to cut back considerably on collecting stuff (toys, etc.) compared to the last couple years, so hopefully I can afford a few more comics here and there.  I'm also interested in the Star Wars books, but I'm waiting for Star Wars: Rebellion to start up here in the next couple months.  Its set during the OT, so I'll probably be picking it up as well.  Anyways, long story short, what has everyone been reading...and what's been good?  Anything you are thinking about starting/dropping?

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2006, 05:35 PM »
The only place near me that sells comic books is a Borders about 7 miles away, but I don't go there often. But I went there last weekend and picked up Amazing Spider Man #528.

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2006, 09:32 PM »
The only books I buy regularly are New Avengers and Captain America.  I'm also buying the Spider-Woman Origin limited series right now, and I plan to buy the Moon Knight book when that comes out.  I did get Astonishing X-Men 7-12, but I think the series is way overhyped.  It is definitely the best X book, but that's not saying much.  It's just that you open the comic, and finish it like 5 minutes later, since there is about 5 lines of dialogue.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2006, 02:21 AM »
I took a chance on the new G1 Transformers book recently, and I have to say, I am quite disappointed with those stupid human characters. I guess that when I buy a book labeled "Transformers" I expect it to be about giant robots kicking the **** out of each other. But that might get boring. So I can see why they're there. At least these characters are more interesting than those ******* kids on the Robots In Disguise cartoon.

It's interesting enough to continue buying. Hopefully it turns out better than the Dreamwave comic did.  :P
There's a Beast Wars book that had its first issue this week, so I might try that one out. At least in this time period, there were no humans to get in the way.  :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2006, 12:56 PM »
I don't know if anybody reads the Punisher, but in the most recent issue of the Slavers story arc, the Punisher confronts the woman who runs the whore houses in her office (of the front company that launders the money).  It's one of the most brutal sequences I've ever read.  Punisher #29 if you're interested.  It's the kind of thing that'll really stick with you.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2006, 10:48 PM »
I think that was issue 28, where he chucks that chick out the window for a swan dive.

Issue 29 is where he torches that old guy and videotapes it.

I love that Punisher book. My favorite read every month.  :)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2006, 11:27 PM »
Haven't read part 6 of the Slavers yet...   :P

Part 5 was issue #29.  I looked at it before posting.  And yeah, it was the window thing.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2006, 01:03 AM »
Oh, crap, you're right.

****, I just spoiled the next ish for you, didn't I? Please accept my apologies.  :-[

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2006, 10:49 AM »
No harm.  We all know everybody dies in the Punisher.  ;D  There's still a lot of mystery on how he gets to that point.

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2006, 12:06 PM »
Wow, never knew that the Punisher was so rough now?? Might have to check out some isues!!
-Vincent

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2006, 12:35 PM »
It's the MAX title, so that means lots of sadistic violence, cursing enough to make a sailor blush, and nudity.

I'm not sure if the Marvel Knights Punisher title is still being published.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2006, 01:49 PM »
The only monthly Punisher title these days is the Max title.  Garth Ennis is the writer.  He's the guy that did the Preacher books for DC.  Now that the Punisher is a mature-only title, he's able to do just about anything he can imagine.  It's been a fun ride.   ;D

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2006, 01:56 PM »
Thanks for the info, will have to check it out once I am able to go back to the comic shop!! :D
-Vincent