Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 135628 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #90 on: March 2, 2006, 03:37 PM »
I picked up Infinite Crisis #5 yesterday, and without spoiling anything for anyone...I thought it was very good.  Overall, I've thought this "event" series has been great and I've really been enjoying it.  To be honest, I didn't read the first "Crisis on Infinite Earths", and mainly had to catch up on some of that by reading stuff online...but even aside from that, I feel that it is a good read.  Two issues to go, and I can't wait to see what happens.  I've always been more of a Marvel reader, but in the past year or so I've gotten further into DC as well.  This series has definitely helped to get me even more interested.  I'm still curious to see what will come of "The Flash" from all of this, and which Flash we'll be seeing in the relaunched "The Flash: Fastest Man Alive" title coming this summer.  Anyways...good stuff.
« Last Edit: March 2, 2006, 03:38 PM by Brian »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #91 on: March 2, 2006, 03:53 PM »
SPOILERS

I grabbed IC #5 as well and loved it.  I have a huge man-crush on Geoff Johns.   :-[  The IC story is really building now and it will be intersting to read how it rolls into 52 and then back into One Year Later

And yeah, the Flash returning in IC #5 was great.  The most interesting thing is that it sure looks a HECK of a lot like Barry's suit, not Wally's!  Which Flash is it?  Which Flash will be in the new DCU?  Mystery remains I guess.  They did reveal the cover to Flash #1, but it's REAL hard to tell which Flash it is since it appears to be a hybred of all of them or something...  :-\

Also, man I am loving hte One Year Later stuff I've seen so far...

Batman - One Year Later:  James Gordon is FINALLY back as Commissioner of GC.  That right there is totally wortht he whole OYL stunt.  I don't care what else happens, but so far Gordon is back, so is the bat-signal.  All is well so far in Bat-land.   :)

Batman Annual #25:  Tells us how/why Jason Todd is no longer dead.  A very interesting way to spin things and the first of many retcons that will occur thanks to the "temporal waves" unleashed by Superboy Prime and Alex Luthor breaking out of the dinemsion.  Very cool book.  I think after reading that Annual #25, I am finally ready to accept that they notonly brought Jason back, but now he's bad.  It takes the Jason Todd death angle away from Bats, but makes it tragic in a whole different sense.

I can't wait for Nightwing, Teen Titans and the rest to jump OYL...

And Brian, if you get the chance check out Green Lantern #9.  In that one issue Goeff manages to undo years of "crap" between Hal and Batman.  A fantastic read and even better that it finally resolves the last of the "Hal went bad" stuff between him and Bats.

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 2, 2006, 04:15 PM »
And yeah, the Flash returning in IC #5 was great.  The most interesting thing is that it sure looks a HECK of a lot like Barry's suit, not Wally's!  Which Flash is it?  Which Flash will be in the new DCU?  Mystery remains I guess.  They did reveal the cover to Flash #1, but it's REAL hard to tell which Flash it is since it appears to be a hybred of all of them or something...

Also, man I am loving hte One Year Later stuff I've seen so far...

Batman - One Year Later:  James Gordon is FINALLY back as Commissioner of GC.  That right there is totally wortht he whole OYL stunt.  I don't care what else happens, but so far Gordon is back, so is the bat-signal.  All is well so far in Bat-land.   

Batman Annual #25:  Tells us how/why Jason Todd is no longer dead.  A very interesting way to spin things and the first of many retcons that will occur thanks to the "temporal waves" unleashed by Superboy Prime and Alex Luthor breaking out of the dinemsion.  Very cool book.  I think after reading that Annual #25, I am finally ready to accept that they notonly brought Jason back, but now he's bad.  It takes the Jason Todd death angle away from Bats, but makes it tragic in a whole different sense.

I can't wait for Nightwing, Teen Titans and the rest to jump OYL...

And Brian, if you get the chance check out Green Lantern #9.  In that one issue Goeff manages to undo years of "crap" between Hal and Batman.  A fantastic read and even better that it finally resolves the last of the "Hal went bad" stuff between him and Bats.

I was tempted to pick up Green Lantern #9, but left it behind for now and regretting it.  I might have to pick it up next week if its still at the local shop.  Another comic I didn't get this week, but I think I'll get the next time I'm there (if I can) is Detective #817 - what I understand is the beginning of "OYL" in Bat-land.  From what I've heard it is pretty good.  I've heard the same about the Annual, so that's tempting as well.  I haven't really gotten all of the issues dealing with the whole Jason Todd situation, but I am curious to see how it was explained.  The cover to the new Flash #1 looks pretty sweet to me as well, but like you said Jeff, its tough to tell which Flash it is.  I've also read that the first Flash we see won't be the one that will be the regular, once that series starts.  I thought the Flash at the end of IC#5 looked an awful lot like Barry as well.  I'm kind of a fan of Wally Flash myself, but I get the feeling he might not be the one in the title OYL.  We'll see.  Definitely some great stuff out of DC lately, and the whole OYL concept (as well as 52) has my excited as well.  Between Marvel and DC, there are so many comics out there I'd like to get right now, another reason I've tried to cut back some of the collecting :P.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 30, 2006, 03:54 PM »
Any read anything new/good lately?  I'm still really enjoying the whole Crisis/OYL thing with DC.  I really like how the Superman books have been so far OYL, and I picked up Batman (651) as well, and that looks good too.  I keep getting more tempted to pick up more DC titles, but I've been trying to keep the comics pending in check, not make it worse :P.  It all does look great though.  There's also been a preview online this week of the new Flash book coming this summer, and I can't wait for that.  Along with the new Justice Leage of America book hitting late summer/fall.  Good stuff on the horizon.  Also...continuing to pick up All-Star Superman, which is quite good I think.

On the Marvel side of things, I'm really getting interested in "Civil War" which is coming up soon.  I've been enjoying all of the Spidey books lately, and F4 and Astonishing X-Men have been good as well.  I've been getting further into the Ultimate stuff recently as well, after sticking to just Spidey for awhile, and those books have been enjoyable too.  Again, I'm always tempted by more titles in Marvel as well...and really grew up more of a Marvel kid than anything else...so there's always more titles calling to me.  The new Moon Knight starts up next week, which looks kind of cool.

Also...picked up "The Return of Tag and Bink: Special Edition" this week, and I really liked that.  I've never read the earlier issues, but have heard good things about them, and I thought it was a fun read.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 30, 2006, 04:38 PM »
Picked up Amazing Spiderman #530 yesterday.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 28, 2006, 11:25 AM »
Marvel has posted an "Opening Shot" quicktime movie that details the events leading up to the beginning of next week's Civil War event.  It sounds like it could be quite a series, and I'm looking forward to it.  Plus, DC's Infinite Crisis is scheduled to wrap up next week as well - leading into the year long "52".  Lots of fun stuff in the comics right now.

As far as recent books - I'm personally really enjoying the "One Year Later" stories of both Superman and Batman (going through Action and Detective comics as well).  Also, Infinite Crisis has been great too, and I can't wait to see how it wraps up.  Looking forward to the Flash and Justice League revamps to start later this summer too.  On the Marvel side, the "Road to Civil War" has been going through a few of the books, and I'm enjoy the Spidey books (Amazing, Friendly, and Ultimate) a lot now too.  Fantastic Four is getting interesting as well, and Astonishing X-Men has been good in its first couple issues back as well.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 28, 2006, 11:27 AM »
Brian, I haven't been able to get to the city latley to pick up my books, mind PM'ing me how they're adressing the Jason Todd issue in Batman OYL?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 28, 2006, 03:36 PM »
I personally missed "Part 1" of the story (in Detective #817 I believe) since my local shop was sold out by the time I got there - but, from what I've read in the last three issues I don't believe that Jason Todd has been mentioned.  I think that his story might be being covered in Nightwing, so someone else might be able to shed some light on that for you (Jeff - I thought you used to read NW fairly regularly?).  I've caught up with some of the story with what has been said online, but I'm sure I'm missing parts.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 03:51 PM by Brian »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #98 on: April 28, 2006, 03:42 PM »
I personally missed "Part 1" of the story (in Detective #817 I believe) since my local shop was sold out by the time I got there - but, from what I've read in the last three issues I don't believe that Jason Todd has been mentioned.  I think that his story might be being covered in Nightwing, so someone else might be able to shed some light on that for you (Jeff - I thought you used to read NW fairly regularly?). 

Yeah...

SPOILERS

Jason Todd is not dead OYL and is currently in New York City posing as Nightwing in that book.  They haven't really explained "why" Jason is now bothering Dick, but the explaination is coming soon I guess (hope)...  :-\

He's basically the same character as he was when he was the Red Hood, but it's just Grayson he's after instead of Bats.  Maybe he got tired of getting his ass kicked by Bruce so now he's moved down a notch?   :P

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 29, 2006, 08:30 AM »
*SPOILERS*

I think Jason is jealous of Dicky boy.

*END*

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 29, 2006, 09:41 PM »
I'm not so much into comicbooks, but My neighbor recently loaned me a bunch of Alan Miller stuff. Read V for Vendetta, LXG vol.1 and The Watchmen. I was blown away by the Watchmen. Arguably, the best comicbook I've ever read.

Currently getting through Tom Strong.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 5, 2006, 01:09 PM »
A pretty good week for comics, although I haven't gotten a chance to read all of them yet - but I did read the two "event" comics of this week.  First off, Infinite Crisis wrapped up this week with issue #7, and although I won't go into spoilers here, I really felt it was a great series.  It leads nicely into the whole One Year Later things, and likely into 52 (which starts next week).  Anyone else been keeping up with this series?

I also picked up the first issue of Marvel's Civil War this week, and I really liked it.  I'm pretty psyched for this series in general, because it seems like a good concept.  Plus, overall I've always been more of a Marvel fan at heart, and I was looking forward to a nice event like this.  I was sort of disappointed with House of M last year, although it wasn't bad, and I'm hoping this story lives up to the hype.  Reminds me of the same type of feeling I had about Secret War when I was a kid, even though not all fans enjoy that series now - it seemed pretty cool then.  Anyways, again avoiding spoilers, its a pretty nice first issue.  Definitely one to pick up if you are a Captain America fan.  I've always liked Cap, but with his stories recently I'm really finding his character even "cooler" (for lack of a better word).  Plus, Spidey is slated to play a big part as well, so I'm looking forward to that.

I haven't read anything else yet this week - but as a side note, I think the OYL stories for both Superman and Batman have been top notch so far.  Good stuff.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #102 on: May 5, 2006, 01:14 PM »
First off, Infinite Crisis wrapped up this week with issue #7...
(snip)   Anyone else been keeping up with this series?

Yeah, I've been keeping up.

- the fate of Alex Luthor?  Priceless.

- the conclusion to the Superboy Prime story?  Great!

- Have I mentioned how much I love the GL Corps being back in the DCU?   ;D  I'd love to get a full sized poster of this cover:

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 5, 2006, 01:29 PM »
I thought that cover was pretty sweet too.  I thought of you Jeff when I saw all of the GLC action in the latest issue.  I really liked the fate of Alex Luthor as well, good stuff.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2006, 12:39 PM »
Well, there's a pretty big hubbub gonig on over the latest issue of Civil War (#2) from Marvel.  I'll leave spoilers out in case anyone hasn't heard anything yet, but there's a pretty big change in store for my favorite character, Spider-Man.  Not quite sure how I feel about it, but there is definitely a wide variety of opinions on it so far from what I've seen.  As for the series itself, I'm really enjoying it so far.  Only two issues in, but it is a good read - at least for me.  Most of the other Marvel comics I read are tied into this in some way right now (Spidey, F4 - and eventually Cap, New Avengers, and to some extent X-Men).  I've read that Mark Millar (writer of Civil War) is a fan of the "old school" Marvel U, so I like that we're seeing more of those types of characters in the first couple issues.  Cap has been really good in this series as well.  Anyways, anyone else checking out Civil War?

On the DC side of things, I have to say I really like the "One Year Later" approaches to both Superman and Batman.  They each have 8 issue stories going on across the Detective/Batman and Action/Superman books, and I think both have been really interesting.  I'm looking forward to seeing what Flash has in store when his new #1 book is released next week - who's the new Flash?  If they handle it along the same lines as Supes/Bats, it should be good.