Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 135667 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #105 on: June 15, 2006, 12:53 PM »
Well, there's a pretty big hubbub gonig on over the latest issue of Civil War (#2) from Marvel. 

No kidding.  It was all the guys at the LCBS could talk about yesterday.

SPOILERS

I'm thinking that Peter's decision wasn't such a good one based on the cover to Civil War #5 - Hobgoblin, Venom, Bullseye, and more all kicking the crap out of "Iron Man Armor" Spidey!

http://www.newsarama.com/marvelnew/CivilWar/CW05Cvrpage.html

I'm not really a Marvel guy, but this one has definitely been worth reading...

who's the new Flash?

My money is on an aged version of one of Wally's kids. 
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 22, 2006, 03:08 PM »
Well, what's everyone been reading and enjoying?  I'm attempting to cut back on the titles I'm picking up, but here's what I've been keeping up on so far:

Marvel
Civil War - lots of delays coming up with the main book and main supporting books, but from what we've gotten so far I'm really enjoying it.  Civil War, Civil War: Frontline, Amazing Spider-Man, and Fantastic Four have been the main books I'm following - and a few of the other tie-ins.  It would be nice to have them all, but its just too much for me.

As far as other Marvel stuff, its mainly the other Spidey books - which have been good with their "unmasking" storylines, Astonishing X-Men (haven't gotten a new one until the one due this week), and Ultimate Spidey and Fantastic Four.  Also picked up the "Spidey and Friends" one shot, which was kind of neat - always enjoyed the cartoon when I was a kid.  I've also sporadically picked up Captain America and Daredevil, which have both been good.  If I could afford it, I'd probably stick with these books as well.  New Avengers hasn't been bad either, I've picked that up off and on.

DC
Superman and Batman - Really the main two titles I pick up here.  I've enjoyed the stuff starting off "one year later", and now we're getting into different teams on all of the books.  I'm debating whether or not to drop Action Comics - just to cut back titles, not because of the quality.  I'm enjoying the Detective Comics run now featuring Paul Dini from Batman: TAS fame.  I also continue to pick up the Superman/Batman comic, which I've always enjoyed.

Other Stuff - Well, I'm looking forward to the Justice League of America returning with this week's #1.  The roster has already been spoiled online, but it looks interesting.  I've been picking up the new Flash book, but I'm on the fence with that one right now.  I've always been a fan of Wally West Flash, and it doesn't look like he'll be part of this book in the foreseeable future.  We'll have to see on that one.

Star Wars
I pick up Rebellion each month, and I've liked that.  I've also been picking up the new Legacy book, but we'll see where that goes from here on out.

Offline mousedroid

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 24, 2006, 04:02 PM »
I watched Jeopardy! last night and it's the High School tournament I believe.  One of the catagories in the first round dealt with Marvel comics characters.  The players had to identify by sight as well as clue:

$200 - Iron Man
$400 - Bruce Banner as the Hulk's alter ego
$600 - (I can't remember)
$800 - Thor
$1000 - Hawkeye

Of the five answers, only Thor came easily.  None of them knew Bruce Banner is the Hulk. I think the kid who guessed Iron Man only got it because Alex mentioned it was also a famous triathalon.  The clue for Hawkeye mentioned that his name was also the nickmane for Iowa, which caused one kid to guess he was, "The Hoosier"  ::)

What the heck, don't kids in high school read comic books any more?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 23, 2007, 12:22 PM »
What is everyone reading lately?  Seems like there is a lot of books out there these days, much different than when I was growing up - and I'm really trying to think about which ones to stick with for this year and beyond.  What has everyone been reading?

Marvel

Civil War of course is the big deal right now, and although the delays have been annoying, I have enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to seeing how it wraps up at this point.  There are a number of rumors, many of which I hope don't pan out.

Other Titles I'm Reading - Amazing Spidey, Fantastic Four, Astonishing X-Men, and Ultimate Spidey are pretty much constants.  Others I currently pick up include Friendly and Sensational Spider-Man, New Avengers (and upcoming Mighty Avengers), and Captain America.  I've checked out a couple of other books occasionally as well (Thunderbolts, Daredevil), but like I said, I need to decide what I want to stick with.

DC

Here, I attempt to keep things restrained a little more since I'm such a Marvel buyer.  I'm really enjoying the new Justice League of America, and plan to continue with that.  I also like the Superman/Batman comic, although I know it isn't the main "in continuity" book for either character.  Other than that, its Batman and Detective, and Action comics.  I was reading Superman, but have taken a break lately and just stuck with the Johns/Donner Action Comics.  I also really like the Flash, but dropped out of the new book after the first couple issues.  I might start up again with Issue 9 when a new team takes over.  I've picked up Green Arrow sporadically as well, but nothing consistent. Oh, and All-Star Superman as well, when it actually comes out.  Kind of a neat book.

Star Wars

Legacy has been pretty good I think, and one of the few times I've enjoyed SW stories that weren't necessarily based on characters I know from the movies.  I picked up the first "Dark Times", but I'm undecided about the rest.  I picked up Rebellion when it was out, but I think it is now on break (alternating with Dark Times I believe).  Mainly just Legacy here.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #109 on: March 7, 2007, 11:27 AM »
Marvel

Civil War of course is the big deal right now, and although the delays have been annoying, I have enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to seeing how it wraps up at this point.  There are a number of rumors, many of which I hope don't pan out.

Brian, now that it's over, what did you think of Civil War?  I was tempted to pick it up, but never did...

Oh and...

HUGE SPOILERS AHEAD!

SERIOUSLY!  HUGE CAPTAIN AMERICA SPOILERS!

DO NOT CLICK THESE LINKS unless you want CAPTAIN AMERICA #25 spoiled!

SPOILERS - Shocking Event in Captain America #25

http://www.newsarama.com/marvelnew/CapAmerica/DDream/Cap_pages-2.jpg

Goodbye, Steve Rogers.   :'(

I'm definitely going to have to grab this one today at the local shop...
« Last Edit: March 7, 2007, 11:33 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #110 on: March 7, 2007, 12:26 PM »
WOW!  :o
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 7, 2007, 01:45 PM »
Damn, that sucks a lot. :(

Kevin

EDIT: Fox News has the SPOILER on their main page.
« Last Edit: March 7, 2007, 03:03 PM by Famine »
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 7, 2007, 04:15 PM »
Brian, now that it's over, what did you think of Civil War?  I was tempted to pick it up, but never did...

Overall, I enjoyed it.  I don't know if it lived up to everyone's expectations or not, and the ending wasn't as much of a "big bang" that many thought/hoped it would be - but overall it wasn't too bad.  The art was amazing, and I can definitely see what Marvel/Joe Quesada have been touting - that it will leave the Marvel U in a very different place and allow new/different stories.  I'm trying to look at it objectively, because I will admit I always like the stories where a big mess of my favorite heroes and other characters are involved.  That's why I liked Secret Wars as a kid too ;).

Regarding the spoiler mentioned earlier - I won't go into it now in case anyone hasn't heard - but yikes, it does suck.  We all know how these things go in comics, but still, its kind of a downer.  The issue is very good though, I picked it up today at my LCS.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #113 on: March 7, 2007, 07:40 PM »
Holy crap is that etarded.  Much like when they killed Hawkeye I give Marvel a big FU.  These are humans not super humans...any "resurrection" is just super lame beyond all belief.  I'm glad I don't read comics any more and probably never will again.  Its become a sad marketing tool ever since DC "killed" Superman...in fact how many former heavy hitter Avengers are now currently "dead" and have been killed over the last 4 years?  Hawkeye, Thor, Vision, Ant-Man to name a few...again...lame

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 7, 2007, 07:52 PM »
When did Thor bite it?!

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 7, 2007, 08:41 PM »
Whoa, very sad.   :'(

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 7, 2007, 08:42 PM »
I only read Star Wars titles these days, but man was it funny walking into the comic shop today to pick up the new issue of LEGACY.  The phone kept ringing every few minutes and the guy in shop is almost yelling into the receiver saying "NO, WE'RE SOLD OUT OF CAPTAIN AMERICA!"

What a way for things to go.  I guess maybe the whole message behind X-Men of people being outsiders and part of a minority didn't resonate with readers anymore.  Marvel has had this history of trying to be socially inclusive, but this story twist definitely pushes those boundaries even further.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 7, 2007, 11:44 PM »
I don't know if this was available to anyone else, but my Sunday paper had been reprinting the first 12 issues of "The Amazing Spider-man." I discovered this late and missed most of the issues, but I have to say, I got a real kick out of reading some of the adventures. Now I understand why Stan Lee is so revered.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 9, 2007, 10:46 PM »
Interesting tid bit on superherohype.com about an easter egg in the clip of 300.

First Look at Watchmen!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 13, 2007, 03:19 PM »
Regarding the big spoiler from last week, if this story has anything to it - it could be getting worse (depending on your point of view).  This might just be a red herring, and likely temporary either way, but this was posted over at Newsarama, which they received from Marvel.  SPOILERS - if true.