Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 135683 times)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #135 on: July 11, 2007, 03:24 PM »
I quit collecting in '91 when the art just went in a different direction and I quickly lost interest. 

Boobs over plot, that era beginning in the early 90s? ;)  Or are you referring to the multiple cover era?  Has Valiant resurfaced as a company yet with the old titles :-X

Story lines and art ended it for me.  More the art though.  I was never fond of the whole McFarlane art with Spidey, Hulk, etc. and how this spread through the classic titles with other artists.  It also bugs me that a ton of the original titles ended and restarted ???

Fortuneately there are hundreds of issues from the 70's (and 60's) that I would like to complete at some point.   I would like to try and complete a few of the original titles, especially Spider-Man.  Those first 40-50 issues are soooo expensive.  At last count I think I have around 240-250 of the first 300 Spidey issues.  My earliest only being #41.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 03:29 PM by Jim »

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 16, 2007, 09:21 AM »
My neighbor just loaned me the All Star Superman collection, so far, it's pretty good.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 21, 2007, 03:48 PM »
I've been a Marvel whore since day one of me reading comics.  I'd grab the occasional DC book, but Marvel was it for me.  I can't say that anymore.  The majority of my monthly pulls are now DC books.  I guess it goes to show what good writing and stories can do.

For some reason, I've started to get into DC more and more like this lately as well.  I can't say I'm necessarily disappointed with the Marvel stories, but I've just been in a bit of DC mood (watching a lot of DCAU DVDs while I work out lately too).  Much like collecting, I'm looking to streamline what I buy (need to save some money in these areas) - so there's a part of me that wishes things were like the "old days" (such as one Avengers book featuring Cap, Iron Man, Thor, etc./Uncanny X-Men holding most/many of the "main" X-characters).  Anyways, between subscriptions (I've been subscribed to Amazing Spidey for years) and my pull list, here's what I'm picking up currently:

Marvel
Amazing Spider-Man
Fantastic Four
Astonishing X-Men
New Avengers
Mighty Avengers
Ultimate Spider-Man

DC
Detective Comics
Batman
The Flash
JLA

Other/Limiteds
G.I. Joe - America's Elite
Star Wars: Legacy
World War Hulk
New Avengers: Illuminati
All-Star Superman (sometimes)

Not a terrible amount of comics, but still more than I should pick up I guess.  There's a couple other titles (Action and Green Lantern) that I wouldn't mind picking up too, but I've got too many already.  It would be nice to pick up 10 books or less (which I'm perfectly capable of doing, I know, but its hard to make the cuts).  Like I said, I miss the simpler (less titles) days of my youth :P.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 11, 2007, 12:31 PM »
This was just posted on Marvel.com, regarding some new Cap. info/pics.  Spoilers may apply, but it doesn't really show anything more than art and teasers - nothing really given away.  It will be interesting to see where this goes.  On, and the press release on Marvel states that it is not Steve Rogers.

Newsarama article
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 01:05 PM by Brian »

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 11, 2007, 03:34 PM »
Why's he all shiny?  Is Silver Surfer becoming Cap?
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 12, 2007, 10:52 AM »
Interview at Newsarama with Ross and Brubaker about the new Cap look.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 12, 2007, 11:28 AM »
AR: More the latter. I think some people will look at the design and get some strong suspicions of who’s under the mask, and that person, that character, went a long way towards guiding it.

NRAMA: But it’s not Steve Rogers?

AR: Nope. Not Steve Rogers.

NRAMA: So the person under the mask had some effect on your design, but back when we spoke about Avengers/Invaders, you spoke about how Captain America’s costume is one of the most iconic in comics – something that you would hesitate to alter or change…

BLAH BLAH BLAH....

AR:  .....We all just arrived at this point where we all came to the conclusion that it would look cool if you just pull the design element all the way up, so you get kind of a classic looking Cap, but with the spin of a new headpiece and armor. That is there to give the idea that…well, someone is tangential to the new suit’s design in the Marvel Universe. Someone who felt that Captain America would need something more protective than just chainmail. As much as I love that chainmail...

NRAMA: Right – which follows that, if you, or if a fictional character within the Marvel Universe is redesigning Cap’s uniform, there are better materials out there to use than chainmail., which, despite technology of the 1940’s, still made sense for the original costume…

I've been out of comics for years and years, except to just keep my finger on the big arcs and developments, but this sounds like Tony Stark to me....
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 18, 2007, 06:37 PM »
I'm betting that its Winter Soldier AKA Bucky.  I'm not at all familiar with this character, but he seems to be fond of guns and was obviousl close to cap.  He makes good sense as a replacement.  Seems out of place ot bring in someone new, its not a good fit for the punisher (who would have 20 more guns stashed in the outfit), and I think think it will be Clint Barton (AKA the original Hawkeye), as he's already got too many costumes between being Hawk and Ronin.  That and he already turned down the job.

As for the costume...wow.  What do you think?  Vote below:

- Really Bad
 - Really Really Really Bad
 - Worst Costume Design Ever

::)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #143 on: October 19, 2007, 12:12 PM »
I think i am hoping for the Punisher.

Not to change subject, but does anyone know why the Hulk is going red?
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #144 on: October 19, 2007, 12:32 PM »
So they can sell "Red Hulk" action figures?

A red variant Hulk may not sell now, but put him in the book and BAM!  Instant sales!  :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 19, 2007, 02:08 PM »
So they can sell "Red Hulk" action figures?

A red variant Hulk may not sell now, but put him in the book and BAM!  Instant sales!  :P

I'm sure that whatever they use to stop him or depower him turns him red, which as Jeff stated, is yet another marketing ploy to get you to buy the first issue when he turns red and offer a jumping on point to new readers and of course, eventually make a red action figure.  Looks like George's multi-colored clone idea is a continual hit.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 19, 2007, 10:03 AM »
Some crazy rumors from DC are starting to pick up more steam now, and I've read this at a few sources.  Hit the linky for more (its the second topic down on that page currently), to hear about possible plans by DC for next year - which should have fans pretty upset I would think.  SPOILERS are present, if this turns out to be true.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 11, 2007, 04:02 PM »
I was just curious, of those of you who read comics here, do you read any of the current Star Wars titles?  I've been reading Legacy from the beginning, and while I have enjoyed it, I'm thinking about dropping it as I need to cut back on my comic spending.  It seems to be a good book, but I know I look forward to the "superhero" books more each month, and if I had to make a choice, Legacy would probably have to go.  Sometimes I feel like I must think its my obligation as a Star Wars fan to read a comic or something :P.  Anyways, does anyone here read any of the current Star Wars comics, or do they not interest you at this point?

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 7, 2008, 02:04 PM »
In addition to the weekly pull list, I've been buying and reading TPBs in the last few months, mostly books that I've heard good things and decided to try out.  The big one was Y the Last Man.  Damn, what a great book.  I bought the first volume mainly to get free shipping on Amazon.  Finished it and immediately placed an order for the remaining 9 volumes.  Flew through those in about a day and a half.  Now I'm waiting patiently for the last volume (I think it comes out in June) to see how things with Yorick end up.  I've managed to stay spoiler free regarding the last six issues or so of the book and would like to keep it that way, so please provide suitable warning if you're going to comment on the book.

One of my local comic book/music/movie/action figure/pop culture store (Newbury Comics) had a 20% off sale on all TPBs this week.  I've heard great things about Geoff Jones' run on Green Lantern and the Sinestro Corps storyline, so I decided to start there.  Picked up Rebirth and the first volume of Green Lantern Corps.  So far, so good.  Did some researching and I should have bought GLC: Recharged  first, so I just placed an order for that book and volume two of GLC and the first three volumes of Green Lantern.  I'm not 100% sure, but I think that'll take me to right before the Sinestro Corps storyline starts.  Will grab the Sinestro Corps HCs and decide from there if I'll add GL to my monthly pull list.

Any other suggestions?  My monthly pulls are mostly DC - Batman, Teen Titans, JSA, JLA, Outsiders and the Countdown weekly.  The only two Marvel books I grab monthly are Daredevil and Ultimate Spider-man.  GIJoe and Savage Dragon are the only two non "Big 2" books that I read.  However, I do read Powers and 100 Bullets in their tpb format and enjoy them, so I have not qualms about trying a non-superhero book.

Common sense isn't so common

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 13, 2008, 12:52 AM »
I would suggest picking up some of the SW comics if you're not already getting them.  The Vector multi-timeline crossover starts in KOTOR this month, so perfect jumping on point for those new the these books.