Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 135658 times)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #150 on: February 13, 2008, 08:12 AM »
I recently dropped all the SW books I was pulling each month - Legacy, Dark Times and Rebellion.  I thought they sucked.  Never read KOTR, not really interested in that time period.

I loved the Clone Wars / Republic stuff, though.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 14, 2008, 12:05 AM »
I recently dropped all the SW books I was pulling each month - Legacy, Dark Times and Rebellion.  I thought they sucked.  Never read KOTR, not really interested in that time period.

I loved the Clone Wars / Republic stuff, though.

I was not initially interested in this time period either, but I gave the book a try and was hooked in the first few issues.  Very good storyline IMO - much better than some of the KOTOR mini-series books from a few years back.  The new crossover will go through all four monthly titles, which should make for a pretty amazing story, and it starts this month!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 27, 2008, 02:55 PM »
Just thought I'd bump this thread up to see what everyone is reading these days.  It seems like there are more and more books I'd like to pick up all the time, even as I should be cutting back.  I guess if I didn't collect anything, it wouldn't be a big deal - but, oh well.  Here's what I'm reading right now:

Subscriptions/Pull List

Marvel
Ultimate Spider-Man
Amazing Spider-Man
Fantastic Four
New Avengers
Uncanny X-Men
Captain America
Mighty Avengers
Astonishing X-Men

DC
Detective Comics
Batman
Justice League of America
Action Comics

Other/Limited
G.I. Joe: America's Elite
Spider-Man: With Great Power
Secret Invasion (When it Starts)
Final Crisis (When it Starts)

Other than that, I pick up a few random titles here and there.  I grab All-Star Superman, just because its a fun read.  I've been checking out Star Wars: Rebellion after dropping Legacy, just to see some OT stories and see what its like.  I've also been checking out The Flash again, after dropping it for a bit.  I'm a fan of the character, but just haven't enjoyed the comic that much lately - but I'm picking up the latest arc to give it a try again.  I plan on picking up DC's Trinity starting in June, which features the Big 3.  I'm interested in a lot of the other DC characters (Flash, Nightwing, GL, GA, WW, etc.) as well, but can't afford them all, and figured JLA would cover most of them.  Oh, I also picked up the first issue of Mark Millar's Kick Ass, and will probably grab the next one as well.  Anyways, what is everyone else reading/enjoying at this point?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 04:07 PM by Brian »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 28, 2008, 12:17 AM »
Here's what I'm reading:

X  Avengers Classic
 X  Avengers: The Initiative (dropping this with issue #12 I think - kind of bored with it)
 X  Captain America (just started, not very impressed yet)
 X  Invincible Iron Man (New series, looks good)
 X  Iron Man: Director of SHIELD (Getting a little bored with this one - move the plot along already)
 X  Marvel Previews
 X  Mighty Avengers
 X  Ms. Marvel (Awesome book.  Funny, lots of action, great stories)
 X  New Avengers
 X  Secret Invasion (Can't wait to see who's actually a skrull!)
 X  Star Wars: Dark Times
 X  Star Wars: KOTOR
 X  Star Wars: Legacy
 X  Star Wars: Rebellion
 X  Thor (one of the best books I've read in a long time - highly recommend it)
 X  Transformers Spotlights & Ongoing Series (Think Mirage and Grimlock are the next ones to hit)
 X  X-Factor: Quick and the Dead (I have a soft spot for Quicksilver, so I'm giving this a shot)
 X  Young Avengers Presents (Really missed this team - happy to have them back even on a limited basis)

From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 28, 2008, 10:19 AM »
Here's a stupid question, where do you buy comic books? Do you subscribe to them?  I've done searches for comic book stores in my area and they are either out of business or just don't exist. It not like I'm in a rural area or anything. You would think they would be more plentiful in southern california.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 28, 2008, 10:27 AM »
X  Secret Invasion (Can't wait to see who's actually a skrull!)

Speaking of Secret Invasion, Marvel has released an animated teaser for the event that is kind of spiffy.

As for where I get my books, its a combination of subscriptions and my local comic book store.  I used to live in an area without a comic book store, so I subscribed to a few (that list has since grown).  I've been subscribed to Amazing Spidey for years, and picked up other Marvel titles along the way.  I always had good luck with Marvel subscriptions - they are quite a bit cheaper, and the latest I've ever gotten a title is a week late (usually I get them a day or two early).  DC was a little slower (always two weeks late at least), but I think they "farm out" their home subscriptions.  I think there are direct subscription services these days that are probably a better option overall though (I think Jeff and others use services like these, and could give better advice there).  Otherwise, I hit our local comic book store for other titles that I try out, DC stuff, or limiteds.  I sometimes think about just using an online vendor though, and having them all shipped once a month or something - it might be easier.

Offline CaptainYoda

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 28, 2008, 11:08 AM »
hey Phruby,

I either get my Comics at Amazing Comics in Long Beach. Huge store. Lots of good stuff. Or a little closer to home I go to Beach Ball Comics, at the corner of Beach Blvd and Ball Rd in Anaheim or Buena Park.  Whatever it is over there. There was Mile High that burned down like two years ago, and another store in Fullerton that went out of business.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 28, 2008, 11:26 AM »
So there is nothing south of Tustin or Santa Ana or Orange? What about Pomona or Chino or around those areas? There was one in Rancho Cucamonga but it isn't there anymore.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 28, 2008, 12:52 PM »
Here's a stupid question, where do you buy comic books? Do you subscribe to them?  I've done searches for comic book stores in my area and they are either out of business or just don't exist. It not like I'm in a rural area or anything. You would think they would be more plentiful in southern california.

I think subscription has taken away a lot of the retail business.  In the Midwest, there are a handful of toy/comic type stores in bigger cities.  If you're not an avid reader, Ebay is actually not a bad place to find deals on older stuff.

I personally used to shop at a local store until December when they took away their discount.  I now use a subscription service called SciFi Genre - they offer great discounts, cover selection, super cheap shipping, AND you get a free bag and board with each book.  Pretty awesome deal.  I buy at least ten regular titles, which gives me a 20% discount on everything I buy.  They have carry a limited assortment of toys, which are also discount priced if you're a subscriber.   ;)

Offline CaptainYoda

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 28, 2008, 02:36 PM »
So there is nothing south of Tustin or Santa Ana or Orange? What about Pomona or Chino or around those areas? There was one in Rancho Cucamonga but it isn't there anymore.

I dont know. There used to be one on Chapman down by the Orange Circle, but I think that one closed years ago.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 30, 2008, 09:07 AM »
Sounds like the New York Daily News spoiled another big comic book happening today, for those that read it.  Newsarama has the details of the big news, but of course, SPOILERS are present (DC related).

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #161 on: April 30, 2008, 09:19 AM »
 :o :o :o

Man, I can't wait to read it...   ;D
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 5, 2008, 03:46 PM »
Well, its been a few months, so I just thought I'd bump this thread up to see what everyone is reading/enjoying.  I'm reading more books than ever right now I think, so I'm looking at cutting the list down quite a bit.  I stay pretty standard with my Marvel books, but I've been picking up more and more DC, so that starts to add up a bit.  Just like collecting, need to get the budget down here - so I likely need to make some cuts.  Overall though, it seems like a lot of good stuff to read out there right now.

Marvel
Amazing Spider-Man
Ultimate Spider-Man
Uncanny X-Men
New Avengers
Mighty Avengers
Fantastic Four
Captain America
Invincible Iron Man
Secret Invasion
Ultimate Origins

DC
Batman
Nightwing
Detective Comics
Action Comics
Justice League of America
Trinity
Final Crisis

Trying Out/Pick Up Occasionally: The Flash, Titans, Astonishing X-Men, Wolverine, Indiana Jones,  upcoming Clone Wars

Like I said, way too many titles, but a handful of them (Marvel ones) I've been subscribed to for awhile so its not quite as expensive.  I'm on the fence with DC's Trinity, since its a bigger financial commitment each month - and so far, to me, its just been "ok".

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #163 on: September 6, 2008, 01:24 AM »
Here's what I read these days:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8
Young Liars
The Sword
Fables
The Punisher MAX
Punisher War Journal
Star Wars Legacy
Star Wars Rebellion
various Transformers titles

I just started reading Young Liars and The Sword, and while The Sword is pretty lame from a storytelling perspective, the art is great. Young Liars is out there, and I'm loving it. Psychopaths, sociopaths, and transgendered drug addicts- what's not to love?
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 6, 2008, 11:08 AM »
Pretty similar interests on the Marvel side...

Marvel
Mighty Avengers
New Avengers
Avengers: The Initiative
Ms. Marvel
Invincible Iron Man
Iron Man Director of Sheild
Avengers vs. Defenders (LS)
Secret Invasion (LS)
Thor
Thor: Secret Invasion (LS)
Secret Invasion: Runaways/Young Avengers
Captain America (Thinking of dropping this title.  I miss the real Cap)
Marvel Preiviews (Keeps me in touch with the rest of the Marvel U for just $.99)

Dark Horse:
Star Wars Rebellion
Star Wars Legacy
Star Wars Dark Times
Star Wars KOTOR
Transformers Spotlight
Transformers All Hail Megatron

Secret Invasion has been pretty good so far, but hard to follow chronology across multiple books.