Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 135906 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #195 on: July 16, 2009, 11:55 AM »
So Blackest Night officially started yesterday and holy ****, what a doozy of a first issue (so much so that I read it twice).  I won't spoil anything specifically, but Johns and team certainly didn't waste any time bringing the zombies back and jumped right into the action.  Add to that the killing off of two fairly major characters, one of them in a pretty vicious manner that I would never expect said character to endure (I can't wait to see their zombie forms) and BN is off to a great start.

I picked up my books yesterday, and this was the first one I read as well.  Like you said Mikey, a doozy of a first issue - I'm already looking forward to the next one.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 9, 2009, 08:27 PM »
Maybe not quite as big news as the Disney/Marvel stuff last week, but it looks like DC is making a few changes as well:

DC Entertainment

Again, hopefully it won't mean any changes to the comics themselves, but if it means that DC/WB can get some more DC heroes on the big screen - that sounds good to me.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 21, 2009, 06:21 PM »
So who here has been reading "Blackest Night"?  I have to say, I've always been a pretty big fan of Geoff Johns anyways, but this has to be my favorite "event" comic in a long time.  The tie-ins (at least the ones I've checked out) have been pretty entertaining too.  Definitely look forward to that each month.  I'm actually enjoying comics in general (from both Marvel and DC) quite a bit lately, lots of good stuff out there.  I've been getting more into the DC stuff over the past year in particular, and the main Marvel books I follow have been great too.  I know many were turned off by the whole "One More Day" think in Amazing Spider-Man, but I have to say that right now (especially this year) is the best that book has been in a long time - at least in my opinion.

Anyways, quick question:  is anyone here reading Red Robin?  I've been picking up quite a few (most) of the Batman titles since the whole "Reborn" thing started, but that is one I haven't gotten a chance to check out yet.  I'm changing up my pull list, and was wondering if it was worth adding?  I'm not sure what to think of the name/costume change, but I always enjoyed Tim Drake so I thought about checking it out.  Just wondering if anyone here has any opinions.  I've enjoyed most of the other bat-books lately.  Dick Grayson is one of my favorite characters, and it is nice to see him in the spotlight (if only temporarily).  I just hope he doesn't get killed off when Bruce returns.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 06:25 PM by Brian »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #198 on: February 16, 2010, 01:34 PM »
One of my highlights of Toy Fair 2010?  Meeting Geoff Johns at the Mattel Preview Event.   8)

He was just standing there (badge turned around so you couldn't see his name), mixed in with the rest of us sheep, oogling the new Mattel DC stuff.  I introduced myself and tried not to go all fanboy on him.

We talked GL, Blackest Night, and Brightest Day for a minute or two and then I retreated and let him have the rest of his night back.  I could have spent hours chatting with him, but didn't want to derail his time and "out" him to others who'd bug him.  :)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 16, 2010, 02:21 PM »
One of my highlights of Toy Fair 2010?  Meeting Geoff Johns at the Mattel Preview Event.   8)

He was just standing there (badge turned around so you couldn't see his name), mixed in with the rest of us sheep, oogling the new Mattel DC stuff.  I introduced myself and tried not to go all fanboy on him.

We talked GL, Blackest Night, and Brightest Day for a minute or two and then I retreated and let him have the rest of his night back.  I could have spent hours chatting with him, but didn't want to derail his time and "out" him to others who'd bug him.  :)

Wow, that is really cool Jeff (especially for a huge GL fan like you).  I think he's probably the best writer in comics today.  I've been enjoying the heck out of his Green Lantern, Blackest Night, and Superman: Secret Origins stuff...and looking forward to his new run on the Flash and the upcoming "Earth One Batman" graphic novel(s).

Speaking of celebrities at Toy Fair, I saw some pics (I believe at SuperHeroHype) that Robert Downey Jr. was there taking pics with the Iron Man 2 toys as well (they had one with an action figure, and one with the role play helmet).

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 18, 2010, 10:31 AM »
Speaking of Geoff Johns, he was involved in a fairly significant announcement from DC Entertainment today:

Didio, Jim Lee Named Co-Publishers, Johns Named Chief Creative Officer of DC Entertainment

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 25, 2010, 03:17 AM »
I saw this posted on the otheR site & thoight you guys would be interested.

It’s a Bird…It’s a Plane…It’s the First Million Dollar Comic Book!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 25, 2010, 08:27 AM »
Ridiculous.  The bidder could easily have gotten that for around $950,000.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: Comics
« Reply #203 on: February 27, 2010, 01:16 PM »
Sadly I have not been reading Blackest Night, although I have been getting some of the figures to go with DCUC. I just saw that DC Direct added a White Lantern ring to the ring set, any one have info on the White Lanterns?
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 27, 2010, 01:42 PM »
Sadly I have not been reading Blackest Night, although I have been getting some of the figures to go with DCUC. I just saw that DC Direct added a White Lantern ring to the ring set, any one have info on the White Lanterns?

Just do a search on google for "Whitest Day" to get up to speed on the storyline.   ;)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 28, 2010, 09:11 AM »

Just do a search on google for "Whitest Day" to get up to speed on the storyline.   ;)

Brightest Day, actually.

The first White Lantern just appeared last week in Blackest Night #7.  I won't spoil who it is in case anyone hasn't read the issue yet, but he/she/it is a pretty important character (and one who's been hinted at saving the universe throughout John's run since Rebirth).
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 24, 2010, 12:36 PM »
It seems like a lot of the news lately in the comic book world has surrounded the slow move to digital.  Marvel and DC (as well as some smaller publishers) have all announced their plans, and it seems like things might be moving more and more this way in the future.  I was curious, for the comic book readers here, when the time comes where all the titles are available (and available the same date or roughly the same as the print versions) would you switch to digital for your comic reading?

Personally, I don't have an iPad or any of those fancy things right now (outside of a computer), so I'm not sure how easy the reading is for any of the various apps from Marvel or DC.  That being said, I think if everything was available (and easy to read) I would probably switch to digital for the majority of what I read.  My love will always be there for the "hard copies", but I just don't have the room to store all of these (much like toys/collectibles), and I can see already that it is going to be a problem for me in the future.  I think I'd always continue on with paper copies of things like Amazing Spider-Man, and possibly a few others (maybe like five favorites or something), but I could see switching most of the rest to digital only.  It would just ease things like storage, and possibly be a bit cheaper, and would likely make my wife happier not having all these long boxes sitting around in the closet.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #207 on: June 24, 2010, 02:00 PM »
Depends on the price.  If they're $3.99 for print and $.99 for a kindle/nook thing download, then I'd probably switch.  If the download is still $3.99 then no way.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 24, 2010, 03:12 PM »
Depends on the price.  If they're $3.99 for print and $.99 for a kindle/nook thing download, then I'd probably switch.  If the download is still $3.99 then no way.

Agree.  If the books were digital and affordable, there's the possibility that I'd read more comics than I do.  Part of the reason I don't read more is the price and part is that my LCS is run by a guy that's kind of a dick, and I hate going there.  If I could just download and read, I'd be happy.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 24, 2010, 10:21 PM »
Hmm, I don't think I'd be keen on the idea myself. I like to have something tangible, i dunno why, it just feels different holding it in you're hands as opposed to looking at it on screen.