Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 135638 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #210 on: June 25, 2010, 11:01 AM »
Yeah, the price would be the biggest issue for me too.  If it was cheaper, especially if it was a dollar or more cheaper, it would make it more appealing.  I can understand wanting something more tangible too, I'm more that way as well, but like I said the whole issue of storage of all these comics is becoming more of an issue for me personally.  When I already have a room full of "toys", adding comic book boxes to the mix doesn't sweeten the deal for the Mrs.  Like I said, if it was affordable, I'd like make the switch for some (if I had the proper tech for it), and stick to print copies for some of my favorites (Spidey, Batman, GL, X-Men, etc.)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 25, 2010, 01:34 PM »
I like to have something tangible...

I usually do also.  I prefer to read a book or magazine for that type of reading.  But I prefer to read my news online rather than a paper.  Comics, if was something I was interested in also collecting, like the GI Joe or few SW comics I read, I'd still buy them at the LCS.  But there are several other comics that I'd be interested in reading that I have no interest in owning hard copies of.

Those, I'd read on dedicated reader device, iPad or even a regular computer if the price was right.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #212 on: June 30, 2010, 07:37 AM »
So yeah... they decided to ruin Wonder Woman.

Idiocy.

Here's her new costume:

It's just mind-blowing how moronic conic execs can be.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 30, 2010, 09:42 AM »
Yeah, that seems kind of generic and boring.  And why are they screwing with her origin anyway?

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #214 on: June 30, 2010, 09:48 AM »
Yeah, that seems kind of generic and boring.  

It looks like she took one of Donna Troy's suits and one of Rogue's jackets and slapped them together.  So now, instead of looking like Wonder Woman, she looks like any 90s Jim Lee creation.  Great.   ::)

And why are they screwing with her origin anyway?

Don't they mess with her origin every ten years or so?  She seems to be constantly rebooted - she was made from clay, she was moratal, she died, she was a god, she was a mortal, she was born from clay, etc.   ::)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 09:49 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #215 on: June 30, 2010, 10:04 AM »
I guess they're trying to drum up sales.  They must think a generic, "modern" crime fighter will have appeal to... somebody.  I can see running out of ideas for the original Wonder Woman, and a need to change things up.  But this?  Pretty awful execution, IMO.

"Oooo... she punches people and leaves a welt shaped like a W on them... that's AWESOME!!!!"

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 30, 2010, 10:14 AM »
Quite lame...especially with all the "women" asking how she fights in the old costume, etc.  I sure bet that "women" are the ones buying up comic books.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #217 on: June 30, 2010, 10:15 AM »
"Oooo... she punches people and leaves a welt shaped like a W on them... that's AWESOME!!!!"

The worst part is that was totally intentional...  ::)

From the DC blog: "The bracelets are still there, but made more colorful, tied on the inside and over the hand, with a script W on each of them that form WW when she holds them side by side…and if you get hit by one of them, it leaves a W mark. This is a Wonder Woman who signs her work…letting her enemies know that she’s getting closer."

Good Grief.  She forms the WW when she holds her fists side-by-side?  Is she trying out for the WWE or a T-Pain video next?   ::)  ::)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 10:16 AM by Jeff »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 1, 2010, 02:20 PM »

The worst part is that was totally intentional...  ::)

From the DC blog: "The bracelets are still there, but made more colorful, tied on the inside and over the hand, with a script W on each of them that form WW when she holds them side by side…and if you get hit by one of them, it leaves a W mark. This is a Wonder Woman who signs her work…letting her enemies know that she’s getting closer."

Good Grief.  She forms the WW when she holds her fists side-by-side?  Is she trying out for the WWE or a T-Pain video next?   ::)  ::)

Yeah, that seemed kind of silly to me too.  Honestly, as much as I am for keeping "iconic" looks, I could see changing up Wonder Woman's get up a bit.  But, especially with someone like Jim Lee at the wheel, you would think they could have had something a little better than this.  Like others said, the jacket in particular just screams "90s comics", when it is supposed to be a modernization of the character's look.  It really seems like they are always trying to jump start WW, like Jeff said.  I don't read WW personally, but I can see why they would want to give her a big push.  For being such an icon, she sure doesn't seem to have very many memorable comics or runs in particular, and that is a shame.  I wonder how many costume revamps have been well-received (particularly in the days of the internet though).  The Captain America suit was made fun of at the time for being "shiny" and all that, but it seems to be generally accepted now (at least at Bucky's look).  Others with more subtle changes (like Thor) seem to be pretty well received too.  This one (WW) not so much.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #219 on: July 1, 2010, 02:28 PM »
Ugh - that horrible replacement Captain America suit?  Didn't they retire that when he came back to life?

How about the Stark Industries Spidey suit?  That thing sure didn't last long.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 1, 2010, 03:04 PM »
Ugh - that horrible replacement Captain America suit?  Didn't they retire that when he came back to life?

How about the Stark Industries Spidey suit?  That thing sure didn't last long.

Bucky's still Cap, Steve's just Steve, Shield agent or something now.  And Bucky is wearing the so called horrible suit.  I like it - it's his own but still retains the basic Captain America look.

The new Wonder Woman costume isn't going to last long IMO.  Other than the aforementioned Thor and Captain America, what other major costume changes have lasted (I'm talking major changes, not minor color changes like Batman's blue to black / grey or Daredevil's yellow to red)?  Spider-man wore all black for awhile but still went back to the classic red and blue (and did come back to black for a bit, I know). 

Failed costume changes off the top of my head that went back to the original because they sucked (similar to WW):
-Armored Daredevil
-Electric blue and red Supes
-Iron Spidey
-helmet Thing
-hook / long hair Aquaman (although I kind of like this one)
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #221 on: July 1, 2010, 03:34 PM »
Other than the aforementioned Thor and Captain America, what other major costume changes have lasted (I'm talking major changes, not minor color changes like Batman's blue to black / grey or Daredevil's yellow to red)?  

Nightwing's sleek blue/black look was miles better than the 80s circus jumpsuit he started in...   it remains to be seen if he'll go back to it once he's done with the batsuit.

Tim Drake's Red Robin has made it 1.5 years almost, still waiting to see if they let him go back to being "Robin" when Bruce makes it back.
« Last Edit: July 1, 2010, 03:34 PM by Jeff »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 1, 2010, 04:35 PM »
I only know the Marvel side, but there are a lot of other major costume changes I can think of besides those already mentioned:

Hawkeye has been running around in the Black Ninja Ronin outfit for several years now.  He’s just now going back to the purple archer look with Heroic Age.  I liked both, but the purple suit wins out for me and I like him best as an archer.

Mockingbird (Hawk’s wife) had a black/white leotard with long sleeves versus more of a catsuit and goggles look now that she’s back from the dead.  Hate the new look and wish they’d find a way to bring the old look back.

Wonderman changed his outfit a couple of times.  He was introduced with green and red spandex and had his whole head covered with red goggles.  The next rendition was just red sunglasses and a red overcoat.  The later incarnation and one that has stuck the longest is black spandex with a red belt and a big red W on the front.  I like that one best.

Ms. Marvel initially had Captian Marvel’s red and blue look.  Incredibly lame outfit IMHO even with Moonstone bringing it back in recent years.  The newer look is a black one-piece w/ long black gloves and thigh high boots.  Yowza. Definitely a much better look for her. 

Ant-Man (Scott Lang) changed from Pym’s original Red/Blue/Black design to a very different modernized version, though the character is totally different, so not really comparable.  For the record, I do like the older suit better even though it’s more campy and less bug-like.

Thor has a very new look since coming back to life a few years ago.  He’s had other minor variations in the past, but the new look is a little more streamlined I think.  I like ‘em both, but took a while for the new costume to grow on me.

The Vision went from Green/Yellow to all white for a while.  Pretty lame change and it didn’t last long (thankfully).

The “Iron Spidey” suit that Stark developed for Parker is actually still in use by another hero, a clone of MVP.  Not sure what he is doing now that the initiative is over.  I stilllike the Red/Blue or even the all black suit over these.

The Hulk went from dumb and green to smart and gray for several years.  That was a great storyline, but more driven by the prospect of a smart hulk IMO than the gray color/outfit change.  Green is still better.

Namor went from his trusty speedo to a much more covered up spandex look now that he’s hanging with the X-Men.  This change is the most like WW’s change I guess in that he’s covering up a lot more.  I was never really into the Sub-Mariner either way.

Iron Man has obviously had numerous changes over the year.  The War Machine look spawned a new hero in Rhodey.  The other one that stands out is the Silver Centurian outfit Start used to take down Stane and rebuild his life.  I always liked that look.  Changing his look is kind of his gig though and the red & gold looks are more iconic.

Hank Pym has had many different looks as well, but he usually changes his character with each.  Goliath/Giant Man were the two most similar, but he also had very different outfits as Ant-Man, Yellowjacket, and now the Wasp. 

The X-Men go through costume changes all the time and I consider their outfits a little less central to the characters.  Storm, Rogue, Angel and others have all had some pretty wild swings in design.  Wolverine’s brown costume stands out as a favorite for me.  The Fantastic Four have minor changes to their outfits every few years as well, but they’re mostly all similar to the originals.

There are plenty more examples out there, but the really core characters seem to always return to more original looks (Superman had long hair for a while there, Batman had his Knightfall armor, etc.).  Like everyone else, I think the new Wonder Woman outfit looks pretty bad – I don’t think it will last long at all.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 3, 2010, 05:02 PM »
Jeff's Nightwing example is an excellent one.  One of my favorite characters in comics (Dick Grayson), and probably one of the biggest improvements costume-wise.  I really didn't like the old "high collar, baby blue" version - and thought the update was great.  Still curious where he'll end up post "Return of Bruce...", but we'll see.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 30, 2010, 12:35 PM »
A little bit of news has hit the NY Post regarding the future of the Batman comics and where everyone (Bruce, Dick, Damian, etc.) will be.  I won't post it here in case of spoilers, but I don't necessarily think it is anything unexpected either.

Aside from that, what is everyone reading these days?  I've actually been reading quite a few titles, but have been looking to trim things up a little bit.  With so many comics hitting $4 these days, it just seems like too much.  Since we used to live in a small town/rural area, I've pretty much always had subscriptions through Marvel for those titles (they arrive about a week later, and run about $1.67 per issue that way), but have kept the minis/DC stuff at our local shop.  Put together, I suppose it is about 20 titles a month (including minis) which just seems like too many at today's prices.  Just curious what anyone else is reading/enjoying.