Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 135648 times)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #420 on: July 3, 2014, 10:56 AM »
Thus far, I've only heard pretty good things, as well. I might just hold off for the TPB and go ahead and get that Deadpool Minibus. I'm finishing up on the Dark Phoenix Saga, which I was able to get for $1 on Comixology not long ago -- I love the classics.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 3, 2014, 12:24 PM »
I've really enjoyed Original Sin so far.  I haven't read this week's issue, but the previous ones have been pretty good.  A little bit different type of "event" comic, more of a murder mystery with some interesting "team ups" which is kind of neat.  I've liked it so far.

Speaking of comics, has anyone here ever unloaded some of theirs - or have suggestions on where to store things?  I've basically at this point filled up my supply of long/short boxes, and have them all stacked up in our office (which is also the collection room).  Although I do like to go through them every so often, as we've been trying to clean the house out a bit I've considered getting rid of some of them.  The vast majority are more recent (within the past 10 years), so I'm not sure there is necessarily a lot of value, but again I don't just want to throw them out either.

I really should switch to digital (which I've done with anything new I want to check out), but part of me still likes having the paper copies - at least for some titles.  I've thought about cutting back to just getting my absolute (say 5 or so) favorite titles in paper form and going digital with the rest (or cutting them out altogether).  Much like Star Wars collecting, I started small with only reading one title, and over the years it has branched out and gotten a little harder to manage.  Storage is again an issue :).

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 6, 2014, 08:42 PM »
I've been reading Original Sin, I give it 4/5 stars. It's solid and entertaining so far but not amazing yet. The new Magneto series is great. 4.75/5 on that one. And New Avengers is also great, the Marvel Illuminati are fighting another universe's DC Justice League. But even before that the series was great in how it explored the damaged space-time continuum and the hole ripped in it as a result of the Age of Ultron. I recommend all of it Ewok.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 9, 2014, 10:26 AM »
Speaking of comics, has anyone here ever unloaded some of theirs - or have suggestions on where to store things?  I've basically at this point filled up my supply of long/short boxes, and have them all stacked up in our office (which is also the collection room).  Although I do like to go through them every so often, as we've been trying to clean the house out a bit I've considered getting rid of some of them.  The vast majority are more recent (within the past 10 years), so I'm not sure there is necessarily a lot of value, but again I don't just want to throw them out either.

Brian - I had some storage issues a while back as well. I had all my comics bagged and boarded, and you'd be surprised at how much space the added protection takes up.  I ended up changing my storage from one comic/board/bag to two comics (front to back) per bag.  So, Issue #1 goes in the bag, issue #2 gets flipped backwards and goes in the same bag on the other side.  If I pick up the bag and rotate it, I can see the covers for both issues.  With the bag thicker and binder reinforcement on both sides, you don't need backing boards anymore, though I still use them every 20-30 issues to protect an anniversary or #1 issue sometimes.  I probably gained about 20% more storage per box with this method.  Might buy you a little more time.   ;)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #424 on: August 15, 2014, 10:29 AM »
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: August 18, 2014, 10:18 AM »
Lobo is ruined

That looks ridiculous, but you DC guys still have it better than Marvel fans.  Thor's new look is with boobs and lipstick is still a bigger change.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #426 on: August 18, 2014, 10:36 AM »
you DC guys still have it better than Marvel fans.  Thor's new look is with boobs and lipstick is still a bigger change.

At least they didn't erase him from existence. 

Just thinking about the complete overhaul of the Flash-family history/timeline/origins/villians makes me want to  :'(.  RIP Wally West, Professor Zoom, etc.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: August 18, 2014, 10:44 AM »
At least they didn't erase him from existence. 

True.  With Marvel, you know you're going to get the original live and kicking again within the next 18-24 months.

The Thor and Cap moves really shock me though given how closely they've tried to tie the comics to the movies.  Hawk & Cap changed uniforms for no reason to map to what we get in the movies, and they even replaced Nick Fury with Nick Fury Jr. to get the Sam Jackson look.  Given that, it seems really weird to make a Black Cap and Lady Thor given upcoming Solo and Avengers films with still have the original characters.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #428 on: August 18, 2014, 11:39 AM »
The comic books are insignificant from a business perspective.  They really have no impact on the performance of the films.  They do these stunts to generate short-term sales boosts.  The publishing arm does what it can to create buzz and stay afloat.  The movies earn half a billion to a billion and a half each.

I read an analysis of Marvel "cancelling" Fantastic Four to hurt Fox movie sales.  And they concluded it was ridiculous.  They said Fox could take out a full-page ad inside the Fantastic Four comic saying "F-you!  Don't see our movie!" and it would only cut like half a million from the gross.  That's if every FF reader boycotted the movie.

We're in an age now when the "real" Iron Man is Robert Downey Jr., and movie canon supersedes book canon.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: August 18, 2014, 12:43 PM »
and they even replaced Nick Fury with Nick Fury Jr. to get the Sam Jackson look. 

Did not know this and checked out an image... really?  He's got the eye patch, too?

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #430 on: August 18, 2014, 01:22 PM »
The Ultimates Universe Nick Fury character design was based off Sam Jackson.  When they cast Nick Fury for the movies, they went with the Ultimates version (as they did with more than a few plot elements).  The movie Nick Fury was such a hit, that when the Ultimates Universe had a cross-over event with the traditional Marvel Universe, they decided to swap Nick Furys so the Marvel Nick could keep an eye on the Ultimates universe, and vice-versa.  So now the regular Marvel Nick Fury is Sam Jackson.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: August 18, 2014, 04:00 PM »
So which Nick Fury is David Hasselhoff playing?

« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 04:01 PM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: August 18, 2014, 04:28 PM »
The comic books are insignificant from a business perspective. 

They're totally different divisions with different profit targets and business plans. Obviously the general movie audience is bigger than small percent of comic readers.  Cheerios is ridiculously larger than Frankenberry cereal - doesn't mean Frankenberry doesn't have it's own business plans for growth.  I don't think anyone is suggesting that the movies have or should change to map to the comics are they?   ???

As I was saying, the comics have historically tried to link to what we see in the movies as the familiar look of the characters may draw in new readers from the significantly larger movie audience.  Since we've seen so much of this from Marvel, there's obviously some shift in the philosophy/strategy on the comic side to roll out Black Cap and Thor Lady when the movie side is at the top of it's game with the original characters.

and they even replaced Nick Fury with Nick Fury Jr. to get the Sam Jackson look. 

Did not know this and checked out an image... really?  He's got the eye patch, too?

Yeah, pretty ridiculous if you ask me.  Crusty old white Fury was such an integral part of the Marvel U for decades.  At least there's an explanation behind his change.  Hawkeye just shows up with shades instead of a mask mid-storyline for the Avengers.   ::)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: August 23, 2014, 01:41 PM »
It looks like the exposure of the Black Widow's past in Captain America - The Winter Soldier is going to be further explored in upcoming Marvel Comics.  And real-world players from the media like Anderson Cooper of CNN will be depicted investigating Natasha and her somewhat questionable past.  I think it's actually pretty interesting and topical.  But it could also have the effect of make the book seem deliberately dated.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #434 on: February 27, 2015, 07:08 AM »