Author Topic: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind  (Read 4481 times)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
Re: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2004, 07:12 PM »
you know, i went to a toy show near my house on sunday. and during this toy show, this woman was walking around wearing a lab coat, and handing out pens. ball point pens, like the bic ones. she handed me one, i stuffed it in my pocket, and didn't think twice about it. this morning, i was putting on my jacket, and felt the pen there... took it out, and it says "don't forget, with lacuna you can forget" www.lacunainc.com

Hahahaha! You got promo'd and didnt even know.

Kev-El
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline P'dubs

• Jedi Initiate
  • Bow to the might that is the Sith.............
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2004, 07:21 PM »
LOL. That's great.
"They were all around me and they kept on saying "Utini Utini"."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2004, 10:13 AM »
Anyone see this this weekend???

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2004, 11:43 PM »
I saw it last Thursday night.

Definitely the best movie I've seen in quite some time.

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2004, 01:30 PM »
We saw it...I didn't really like it, my girlfriend loves Kate Winslet so we had to drive a long way to go.  It was good and all but just wasn't my thing
Medical Droid Extrodinaire

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2004, 01:07 AM »
It's not playing here. Damn, I hate this town. I don't know if it's limited release or what, but it's not playing here.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2004, 12:02 PM »
I saw it...no one else did??

If you liked the mind-twists and psychological ideas explored in Being John Malkovich, you will like this moive. My fiance' and I were surprised to see how true to life the "love story" really was. It's not as zany (a surprise to me, with Carrey starring) but is much more touching than Kaufmann's previous work. There are few players in the movie, but everyone gets something interseting to do. Mark Ruffalo does well, as do Frodo Baggins Elijah Wood and Mary Jane Watson Kirsten Dunst.

It also doesn't explain itself as obviously as some mind-bending movies do (even BJM explained what was really going on in more detail than this) so you sort of have to pay attention.

I'd recommend it, if not for a weekend viewing then definitely as a must when it hits video.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2004, 10:23 PM »
Well, I had to choose between this and The Ladykillers, and I chose Eternal.  Glad I did because it was a helluva movie.  I loved the whole thing, the twists and turns, the neat little effects where his memories were fluid and changing based on how fuzzy they were in his mind.  Neat story, neat plot, neat twists.  Great performance by Carrey, he was really perfect and I can't say much more or less, also wonderful supporting roles by Frodo and Dunst

Kate Winslet is a Goddess, she is so above and beyond so many other modern day actresses of her age its not even close.  Her character really connected with me, she reminded me of some my ex-girlfriends and friends a lot.

I agree Bobb, the love story was really well done, not over the top schmaltzy romance, troubles and embarassing moments and wonderful things you never want to forget about the person you love

Great movie, on the OCB scale of 1 to 10, 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest I'll give it a solid 9

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2004, 10:47 PM »
This is the best film I've seen in a while.  It was fascinating to see Jim Carrey in a whole new light.  Kate Winslet had me transfixed, and Charlie Kaufman brought me there into Joel Barish's mind perfectly.  It was tremendous.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2004, 11:46 PM »
I also need to see Being John Malkovich again, I remember it vaguely and I really liked it at the time a ton...I also need to go and rent Adaptation which I haven't seen yet

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2004, 01:53 AM »
So, I finally got around to seeing this tonight, and I think I really liked it.  Probably a movie I'll need to see again just to get totally straight with, but I liked it.

Jim Carrey--like I mentioned earlier, I've always been a fan, and this movie is just more proof of what a talented actor he really is.  Shame that he had to start his career with Ace Ventura--not that I didn't like it, but with that role, and the next couple after it, he totally turned some people off to him, that now won't give his performances in The Truman Show, Man on the Moon, The Majestic, and this role the time of day.

Kate Winslet is amazing.  Beautiful, smart, funny, interesting--all those things.

What I liked about the movie is that the memories feel like memories do.  Fleeting, brief moments.  People remember brief little snippets about things, and this movie really captures that feeling.

. . .Adaptation which I haven't seen yet

Well, just remember:  

"That's how f--k fish."
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2004, 09:28 AM »
I also like how the memories get screwed up and weird stuff is happening in the background, like his memory isn't perfect and this is all he can remember...

LIke the scene in the book store near the end where all of the books on the shelves are backwards

Offline Xander

• Jedi Initiate
  • She-mantis, Ampata, Anya…a true demon magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2004, 09:43 AM »
Great flick.  Its a testament to the writers' skill that I didn't get lost in this complex story.  There is so much back and forth in time, and a lot of figuring out when this or that happened, that usually I would have to see it a second time.  The color of her hair was a great visual clue let you know what's going on in the scenes.  Clementine in that kitchen memory was hilarious.  Its great to see these big actors show their chops in a movie that's not cliche or predictable. You could figure out what was going to happen early on, I think, but it was a nice way to end it.

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2004, 10:53 PM »
I watched it last weekend & enjoyed it a lot.  The story was very original & the casting was perfect.  Jim Carrey (Joel) & gorgeous Kate Winslet (Clementine) were convincing in their roles & their relationship seemed believable (good chemistry).  The only negative part about the movie was Frodo.  Anyway, it's fun to ponder the consequences of erasing a person, experience, or memory (pleasant/unpleasant) from the "hard drive" that is the human mind.  If the possibility to escape the past became a reality, would you take the plunge & remove a few unwanted memories or "mistakes?"    
Binders full of astromechs...