Author Topic: Paint and production errors. Got any?  (Read 2577 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Paint and production errors. Got any?
« on: March 24, 2004, 04:05 PM »
With the void that is new figures over the past several months, I've been spending my free time sorting through and consolidating my collection.  The other day I got to my pile of carded Hoth Midget Troopers, and noticed one of them looked a little different than the rest.  After staring at them for a while, I finally realized it was because his visor wasn't painted green, like the rest.  In fact, it wasn't painted at all!  I'm not usually one to get into paint variations or errors, but I thought this one was pretty notable and cool (kinda like the visor-less Jango a while back).  I'll probably hang on to it and keep it carded just because of it's uniqueness.

Not sure if I have any other major paint error figures, but I have snagged a few card production errors, including:

• Star Tours R5-D2 droid packaged BACKWARDS in the bubble.
  • Saga Anakin (Tatooine Attack) with NO insert in sealed bubble.  Target had to scan a different figure in it's place, since there wasn't even a barcode.  I hesitantly traded this figure away to error collector Cohens4, but got some pretty good stuff in return for it.
  • POTJ Tessek, with a Ketwol Force File
Nothing that exciting, to be sure, but still a decent little error sampling.  I've probably get a few other production and paint errors here and there, but these are the few that come to mind.  By no means am I an error collector, but I do enjoy, and usually keep, the ones that I randomly stumble across in stores.

Anyone else have some good error figures?  Anyone actually collect errors?  BTW, when I say errors, I'm talking one of a kind errors, and not running production changes that Hasbro's made.

So...  Whatchya' got?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 04:08 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Paint and production errors. Got any?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 04:54 PM »
The only thing I have is a FF R2-D2 (w/Tools) that has a Luke Skywalker (Blast Helmet) FF pack-in.

I was mad because it took a while to find R2, then the dang FF was wrong!  Eventually, I found a correct FF R2-D2 during the TRU blow-out sales.

I still have it though... the only "error" figure I have.

Jeff

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2004, 01:31 AM »
I've had a couple "error" items over the years, most notably a weird version of the POTF2 Death Star Escape Cinema Scene that is supposed to have Luke and Han as Stormtroopers along with Chewbacca. If you recall the Luke and Han came packaged as such that their helmets were already on. So when I opened the sealed set I was surprised to find that the Han figure had a Luke head on it. So basically my set came with two distinct Lukes instead of a normal Luke/Han pairing. I've always found it to be one of the more interesting pieces in my collection and have left everything in the package with the helmets off the figures to show off their oddness.

I also recall picking up a POTF2 Bespin Luke that came with a Chewbacca (Boushh's bounty) Freeze Frame. Didn't realize this until I had opened the Luke for custom fodder purposes. Had I bothered to notice, I think I would have kept the figure on the card.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Jedirhino

• Jedi Initiate
  • The party's over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2004, 06:46 PM »
Since I rarely buy any dups of any one figure except for army builders, I do not have any but I have seen an Asajii with no marks on her left side of her face...

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004, 12:59 PM »
I have a blind Princess Leia.  No little black blobs in her eyes, lucky thing Yoda came with a cane  ;).

I also have a Padme with one painted shoe and one bare foot.  Poor girls, no quality control for them  :-*
Beth

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2004, 01:38 PM »
I actually never look for errors, but I just might start! :)
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)