Author Topic: MLB 2004  (Read 116830 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: It's Outta Here! The JD Official 2004 Baseball Thread
« Reply #15 on: April 7, 2004, 09:21 AM »
Twins are on pace for 162-0!

ALthough, Mauer, Santana and Hunter all left the game with injuries last night

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 7, 2004, 10:07 AM »
The D'Rays, Tigers, Brewers and Mets are leading their divisions.  Scary thought ;)

The Red Sox got their first win of the season and their two big off season accquistions, Schilling and Foulke picked up their first win and save, respecitively, for the Home Town Team.  Red Sox have to play tough during April while Nomar and Trot heal from injuries as they play a lot of division rivals.

And Mussina gets rocked once again to drop to 0-2 and the Yankees go under .500.   ;D

I knew it's early but I have to gloat while I can
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: April 7, 2004, 10:42 AM »
Twins are on pace for 162-0!

ALthough, Mauer, Santana and Hunter all left the game with injuries last night

Boy, it sure would suck to have any of those injured Twins on your Fantasy Basebal roster...

/DOH!

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Anaheim Angels - 2004 World Series Champs!
« Reply #18 on: April 8, 2004, 04:06 AM »
Good Lord.  We're only THREE games into the season and there's only TWO undefeated teams left...?!   ::)  That's totally pathetic.

But since one of those two teams is mine (Tigers are the other), I guess it's time to fire up the smack talk converters, and point out that my Angels are 2-0, and averaging a whopping TEN runs a game.  Glaus poked two out in the opener, as did Garrett Anderson tonight (Vlad hit one too).  Man, murderers row right there.  Best the rest of you watch out, 'cause Anaheim is comin' for YOU!!!   :-*

Unfortunately, they're going to probably have to beat my Dodgers in the World Series though, so that's a little heartbreaking.

Hope the rest of you enjoy the long season anyway, and we'll see you all in 2005!

P.S.  Heartfelt condolences go out to the BoSox and Cubbie fans, as usual...   ;)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #19 on: April 8, 2004, 09:52 AM »
The Halos definitely have a good shot at getting back to the playoffs I think injuries and the fact there was a bit of a letdown last year after winning it all in '02 hurt them.  The Dodgers on the other hand will continue to wallow in mediocrity

BTW...any push for the Dodgers to get a new Stadium at all?  They are playing in one of the oldest 50's/60's ballparks around...you think they'd be demanding a new home like most of the other teams (excluding the Yankees, Cubs and Red Sox)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2004, 07:37 AM »
Does any one actually give a sh!t that Bonds hit his 660th home run yesterday?  ESPN actually interupted PTI yesterday to show the at bat in which he hit it.   ::)

Some one wake me up when the ass hole passes Babe Ruth and Hank Aaron.  Then I might care.  Might being the key word.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2004, 02:16 PM »
I don't really care that much, the whole thing is tainted, the whole sport is so ****** up its not even funny.  Steroids, no Salary Cap, Contraction, Labor Stoppages, etc etc etc etc

Anyone actually think that Baseball is The National Pastime anymore???

Offline Pistol Pete

• Youngling
  • Maul
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2004, 02:39 PM »
I'd say Football is the NAtional Passtime, by far too, although the NASCAR fans might say something different
Bang Bang

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2004, 02:41 PM »
Does any one actually give a sh!t that Bonds hit his 660th home run yesterday?  ESPN actually interupted PTI yesterday to show the at bat in which he hit it.   ::)

Some one wake me up when the ass hole passes Babe Ruth and Hank Aaron.  Then I might care.  Might being the key word.

Not really.  I was just out at lunch, and they were talking about this on ESPN Radio.  Dan Patrick was going on and on about how this is such a big deal, and asking why isn't Barry Bonds getting the recognition.  Nobody has hit this many since Hank Aaron passed Willie Mays in 1972.  He was also complaining about the Balco, saying that people should be fair to Bonds until he has been found guilty of something.

For me, it boils down to these points:  

First, it's third place.  Not as big a deal to begin with right there.  If or when he catches Babe Ruth, then I'll take notice.

Second, I think that Willie Mays' overall numbers were more impressive.  He played all of his home games at some of the worst hitters parks in the history of baseball.  The Polo Grounds, Candlestick Park, and even Shea Stadium were all among the worst hitters parks in baseball, and Willie Mays put up impressive numbers in all of them.  He was also a far superior overall player to Barry Bonds.  Has Bonds ever made a play in the field that compares with Mays' over the head basket catch?

Third, there's the whole steroids suspicion.  Has Barry Bonds been found guilty of using steroids?  No.  Do most major league baseball fans think he has?  Yes.  Does the public's opinion of players matter in the grand scheme of things?  Yes.  Barry Bonds on the Pittsburgh Pirates of the early 90's is a very different looking guy to Barry Bonds of 2004.  Anyone with eyes can see that.  Add in the leak of Bonds' name in association with the Balco case, and you just have to play connect the dots.  

On top of all of these things, Bonds' poor relationship with the media has not helped his case.  The writers can be your friend or they can be your enemy.  Anyone who has seen the movie 61* will understand just sports writers are very influential people.  Bonds is completely responsible for his public image by the way he has conducted himself with the press and the public, and this is going to follow him well after his career.  Most people remember just how great a ballplayer Ty Cobb was, but just as many people knew he was possibly a cheater, a dirty player, a racist and an overall rotten human being.  I think the same kind of thing will follow Barry Bonds to the end of his days.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2004, 01:08 PM »
Bonds is #3 but how about this guy...

Forget Barry Bonds: The week's real star is superfan Larry Ellison.

He caught HR No. 661 last night -- to go with No. 660 he caught on Monday. Not only should he keep the 661 ball (as Barry himself suggested), Ellison might want to start playing the lottery.

But it gets better: After graciously giving No. 660 to Bonds on Monday, he was given six seats behind home plate for Tuesday's game, which he promptly gave away to family, while he returned to his kayak in McCovey Cove. Don't devalue his 660 gesture by calling his 661 fortune "luck."

Karma, friends: It's a boomerang, just like that freaky coffeehouse barista's tip jar proclaims. I'm the first to laugh at "curse" talk, but Ellison's 660 give-back earned some serious karmic payback.

What's the larger lesson here? Do the cool, neighborly thing and you'll be rewarded. Maybe not as immediately and ridiculously as Ellison, but his model is one worth following.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2004, 02:13 PM »
That is just insane luck, although kayaking in McCovey cove is a good recipe for getting a Bonds hit ball.

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2004, 10:10 AM »
Sox take 3 out of 4 from the Yankees and not a peep from anyone...wowza!

Twins are in 1st place and that is without Hunter and Mauer...doing pretty well actually.  I'm worried about their staff and pen

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2004, 12:19 PM »
I can't believe the Twinkies let LaTroi Hawkins go.  The guy throws some heat!  But his new club, the Cubbies aren't doing that well.

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2004, 12:28 PM »
If there was one mistake they made this offseason it was letting him walk, he's the perfect set up man, he was too much of a basket case to be a closer but he can like you say blow people away

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2004, 05:27 PM »
Sox take 3 out of 4 from the Yankees and not a peep from anyone...wowza!

Twins are in 1st place and that is without Hunter and Mauer...doing pretty well actually.  I'm worried about their staff and pen

I've been away and today is actually my first day at my new job, so being on the internet all day isn't exactly a way to make a good impression.

But yeah, it was great.  So much for their $200 million payroll.  They have the lowest BA in the league.

I know its April, but every game counts.