Author Topic: MLB 2004  (Read 116811 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: It's Outta Here! The JD Official 2004 Baseball Thread
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2004, 01:31 PM »
I thought you guys were bumping this thread up to point out which 2 teams have the best records in the majors...   8)  Unfortunately, the Angels have lost 2 more of their starting position players to injuries in the last 2 games, which makes 4 of our 8 starting players on the DL now - Garrett Anderson, Darin Erstadt, Tim Salmon, and Jose Guillen.  We're in trouble!

As for that Bonds walk - I agree.  Totally ridiculous.  That's the second time that's happened this month too!  Sissy managers...   ::)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2004, 01:33 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2004, 01:36 PM »

As for that Bonds walk - I agree.  Totally ridiculous.  That's the second time that's happened this month too!  Sissy managers...   ::)

A walk is a terrible thing in a tie game in extra innings with nobody out.  Just pitch to him, inside, outside, up and in, maybe he pops out, grounds out, strikes out!  But an INTENTIONAL walk?  This is just getting way out of control.  You cannot just put the winning run on base with nobody out, I don't care who is at the plate.  Make them swing the bat, Barry Bonds isn't even having to do that much anymore.  Stupid.  
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2004, 08:36 PM »
What really blows my mind is Bonds was O-fer on the day, was, I think, 0-15 coming into the ballgame, and has a sinus/ear infection that's throwing off his balance and timing and is serious enough that the doctor  recommended that he not play for 10 days.

OCB, one thing about the fantasy league... I noticed in your initial thread that no points are awarded for walks though pitchers are dinged for each one issued.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2004, 10:21 PM »
What really blows my mind is Bonds was O-fer on the day, was, I think, 0-15 coming into the ballgame, and has a sinus/ear infection that's throwing off his balance and timing and is serious enough that the doctor  recommended that he not play for 10 days.

OCB, one thing about the fantasy league... I noticed in your initial thread that no points are awarded for walks though pitchers are dinged for each one issued.

It's true.

My starting staff is Jason Schmidt, Kevin Brown, Javier Vazquez, Brad Penny, and at times, Matt Morris...and I'm only +25 pts on my starting pitching total.  That's because the BB + ER to K ratio is very hard to win.  Saves, on the other hand, are 5 points each.  And I'm 2nd in the league in saves.  So that's a plus.

But it seems like the key to starting pitching is to just try to stay on the + side of zero.

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2004, 11:11 PM »
There's a disproportionate negative to walks on pitchers' stats, but it's a level field since it'll affect everyone. (I feel the best strategy would have been to choose more by walks and strikeouts than win/loss record.)

Mainly, my point was whomever (or is that whoever) has Bonds is going to make a killing just on walks alone.  :P

Jedi "Peter Gammons" Idej

(btw, Gammons annoys the heck out of me.)

« Last Edit: May 10, 2004, 11:12 PM by Jedi Idej »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2004, 01:06 AM »
There's a disproportionate negative to walks on pitchers' stats, but it's a level field since it'll affect everyone. (I feel the best strategy would have been to choose more by walks and strikeouts than win/loss record.)

Mainly, my point was whomever (or is that whoever) has Bonds is going to make a killing just on walks alone.  :P

Jedi "Peter Gammons" Idej

(btw, Gammons annoys the heck out of me.)

I let Scott have Barry Bonds.  But now Scott wishes he had my team after I unseated him from his BALCO-riddled throne over a week ago.

:-X
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 01:06 AM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2004, 01:15 AM »
Let us all take a moment and remember the greatest moment in the history of baseball, and in all of sports, Sausage-Gate:

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2004, 08:17 AM »
Let us all take a moment and remember the greatest moment in the history of baseball, and in all of sports, Sausage-Gate:

RIP Sausage

BALCO!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2004, 12:31 AM »
Just saw one of the most amazing things I have ever seen in Baseball.  Alex Cora 2B for the Dodgers evened the count at 2-2 against Matt Clement of the Cubs. He then slapped around 13 straight foul balls and then went deep for a 2 run bomb.  18 total pitches is one at-bat and he ends it with a homer.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2004, 01:09 AM »
Jorge Posada got hit by a double play relay throw in the face tonight and broke his nose.  He's "expected to miss 3 to 4 games but the Yankees say that the disabled list will not be necessary."

:'(

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #85 on: May 13, 2004, 03:47 AM »
Just saw one of the most amazing things I have ever seen in Baseball.  Alex Cora 2B for the Dodgers evened the count at 2-2 against Matt Clement of the Cubs. He then slapped around 13 straight foul balls and then went deep for a 2 run bomb.  18 total pitches is one at-bat and he ends it with a homer.

Yeah, that was totally crazy!  It's always great to see a pitcher and hitter battle like that, especially when the hitter finally gets the pitch he's looking for and tallies a nice base knock.  But to go 18 freakin' pitches, and finish up with a dinger...  from a very light swinging second baseman no less...  That was just a thing of beauty to watch.  The crowd and Cora's teammates in the dugout were just going more and more nuts after every pitch.  Baseball needs more moments like that.  Not to mention my Dodgers went on to shutout the Cubbies 4-0.  Still rollin' along!   8)

Jorge Posada got hit by a double play relay throw in the face tonight and broke his nose.

Yeah... Uh, sorry 'bout that Matt!   ;)  Our bad.  Then we went and rubbed it in with an 11-2 shelacking of the Yanks.   8)  Now if we could just get Erstadt, Anderson, and Salmon back, this is really gonna be fun!  I may finally get that Freeway Series that I've been dreaming of since I was about 5 years old...   :)

See Clemens blow up again yesterday?  Holy God, that guy's not human!  What an incredible story he is this year.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #86 on: May 13, 2004, 11:51 AM »
Yeah the bench's reaction to all of those foul balls was priceless.  PRetty amazing feat and to top it off with a homer was just classic.  If he struck out, it would have been a waste of time :P

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 13, 2004, 05:48 PM »

Jorge Posada got hit by a double play relay throw in the face tonight and broke his nose.

Yeah... Uh, sorry 'bout that Matt!   ;)  Our bad.  Then we went and rubbed it in with an 11-2 shelacking of the Yanks.   8)  Now if we could just get Erstadt, Anderson, and Salmon back, this is really gonna be fun!  I may finally get that Freeway Series that I've been dreaming of since I was about 5 years old...   :)

See Clemens blow up again yesterday?  Holy God, that guy's not human!  What an incredible story he is this year.

That's okay, we stuck you with Jeff Weaver, and snatched Kevin Brown!

:D

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 13, 2004, 06:06 PM »
This just in...

Barry Bonds used his two off days earlier in the week to complete his force training at the Jedi Temple on Coruscant:

Offline Padawan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 13, 2004, 06:09 PM »

Yeah, that was totally crazy!  It's always great to see a pitcher and hitter battle like that, especially when the hitter finally gets the pitch he's looking for and tallies a nice base knock.  But to go 18 freakin' pitches, and finish up with a dinger...  from a very light swinging second baseman no less...  That was just a thing of beauty to watch.  The crowd and Cora's teammates in the dugout were just going more and more nuts after every pitch.  Baseball needs more moments like that.  Not to mention my Dodgers went on to shutout the Cubbies 4-0.  Still rollin' along!   8)

Congrat's Matt on the Dodgers taking 2 of 3 from the Cubs.  At least Zambrano finally got something going for them today.  I just hope Kerry only misses one start and will be 100% for his next one.