Author Topic: MLB 2004  (Read 116833 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: It's Outta Here! The JD Official 2004 Baseball Thread
« Reply #90 on: May 13, 2004, 06:46 PM »
Just got back from the Big Ballpark in the Bronx!  The Yanks took it to the Angels in style, knocking three out of the park courtesy of red-hot Ruben Sierra, Bernie Williams and Hideki Matsui.  Jon Lieber had a no-no going into the 4th, but the Yanks came back in the next inning.  And when Mariano trotted in from the bullpen to "Enter Sandman", it was a thing of beauty.  Yankees win!   Thu-uh-uh Yankees win!!!!!!!!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2004, 05:22 PM »
Milwaukee's Ben Sheets struck out 18 batters today!  I have not seen that in a while!  18 K, ER, BB.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #92 on: May 17, 2004, 12:03 AM »
Couple short of the record, but still very impressive.  Not bad...

I was actually on my way to stop in here earlier today with another update on the absolute brilliance and wonder that is Roger Clemens.  Went 7 innings today, no runs, 10 K's, 2 hits, 1 BB.  Leads the majors in wins and ERA now, and is third in K's.  Unfortunately, just 1 out away from getting win #8, Houston's stupid reliever blows the whole game and gives up a 2-run game tying dinger to Piazza in the 9th to ruin Clemens incredible game.  Still another outstanding start nonetheless.  Not to mention this guy's hitting .222 with 4 RBI's in his first season in the NL.  Not too shabby for a pitcher.  I've been a big Rocket fan ever since he first came into the league, so this is really fun stuff to watch from a guy who was retired from baseball just a few months ago!

Unfortunately, my Dodgers aren't faring as well.  4 losses in a row, as the team, and especially the offense, comes tumbling back down to earth.  They're still hanging on to the top record in the NL though.  Angels have dropped a few of late as well, but are still in the #1 spot in the Majors, so I guess I can handle that... :P

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2004, 12:33 AM »
Couple short of the record, but still very impressive.  Not bad...

I was actually on my way to stop in here earlier today with another update on the absolute brilliance and wonder that is Roger Clemens.  Went 7 innings today, no runs, 10 K's, 2 hits, 1 BB.  Leads the majors in wins and ERA now, and is third in K's.  Unfortunately, just 1 out away from getting win #8, Houston's stupid reliever blows the whole game and gives up a 2-run game tying dinger to Piazza in the 9th to ruin Clemens incredible game.  Still another outstanding start nonetheless.  Not to mention this guy's hitting .222 with 4 RBI's in his first season in the NL.  Not too shabby for a pitcher.  I've been a big Rocket fan ever since he first came into the league, so this is really fun stuff to watch from a guy who was retired from baseball just a few months ago!

Unfortunately, my Dodgers aren't faring as well.  4 losses in a row, as the team, and especially the offense, comes tumbling back down to earth.  They're still hanging on to the top record in the NL though.  Angels have dropped a few of late as well, but are still in the #1 spot in the Majors, so I guess I can handle that... :P

Yeah Ben Sheets rocks and either him or Randy Johnson will undoubtedly be in pinstripes by the all star break, maybe a little after.

The Dodgers offense hinges on Shawn Green.  Though he has 7 HR and 18 RBI, he's batting an anemic .236 avg.  That shoulder injury he had 2 years ago caused the 19 HR 85 RBI display last year as opposed to his normal 40 HR 120 RBI.  Adrian Beltre has cooled off.  Milton Bradley is overhyped.  The Dodgers starting staff got hurt by losing Kevin Brown and taking on Jeff "Cheech" Weaver, double whammy there.  And Hideo Nomo and Ishii are pretty much overrated, they generally combine to walk 200 batters per year, which kills them.  Eric Gagne is your stud, he's the best at what he does.  Period.

Still and all, I was picking Arizona to win the NL West with Randy Johnson and Brandon Webb as their # 1 and 2, and with Luis Gonzalez, Richie Sexson, and Shea Hillenbrand in the middle of that lineup, but with Alomar down and Sexson out for some more time,  may have to change that to the Dodgers when all is said and done, especially if Randy Johnson gets traded.

Who knows, LA may win the West after all.  It is the weakest division in baseball.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 12:35 AM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 18, 2004, 09:32 PM »
Randy Johnson's got a perfect game going in the 8th.  Put on TBS.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #95 on: May 18, 2004, 10:15 PM »
He did IT!!!  Wow, way to go Big Unit (which BTW is one of the best nicknames ever!)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 18, 2004, 11:46 PM »
He did IT!!!  Wow, way to go Big Unit (which BTW is one of the best nicknames ever!)

It was my nickname before it was his.

I picked that game up in the 4th inning when I got tired of the Red Sox beating up the Devil Rays, as soon as they said "Randy Johnson has retired the first 12 in order" my eyes got all big and I was glued to it.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #97 on: May 19, 2004, 04:22 AM »

Fortunately, my Dad called me from Arizona, and told me to put the game on when it was in the 8th inning.  Just incredible!  Another amazing achievement by a 40+ year old athlete.  Really happy for him...  I was certain that Perez (who was 6 for 13 off Johnson lifetime) was going to get a hit in that last at bat, but NO.  A 13th and final whiff!   8)

Randy Johnson actually goes to the same church as my parents, out in Scottsdale, AZ too!   :P

On to my boys, the Dodgers slide continues, and as initially expected earlier in the season, we probably ain't all that good.  I can live with that.  But my Angels though...  Damn.  We just lost Troy Glaus now, on top of all the other Angels on the DL (Erstadt, Garrett Anderson, Salmon, etc.)  They're even saying that Glaus, who's leading the AL in homers right now, may be out the rest of the season following shoulder surgery.  He's on the 60 day DL right now, as it is.  This really sucks...   :'(

But at least we threw an 11 inning, 3-hit shutout tonight against the Yanks!   8)

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 19, 2004, 08:23 AM »

Milwaukee's Ben Sheets struck out 18 batters today!  I have not seen that in a while!  18 K, ER, BB.

Both games against the Braves.  I can't even begin to figure out what's been happening in Atlanta.  I thought for sure Perez would have ended Johnson's perfect game but it was not to be.  The only consolation is it was to Johnson, one of my favorite players to watch.

I guess I go back to watching Tiger baseball since the Braves seem to be sliding in that direction.
Beth

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #99 on: May 19, 2004, 08:59 AM »
I think that who ever has "The Big Unit" on their roster should get bonus points in the JD.com Fantasy Baseball league for his perfect game... ;)

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #100 on: May 19, 2004, 09:46 AM »
Nice try :-*

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 19, 2004, 01:28 PM »
I think that who ever has "The Big Unit" on their roster should get bonus points in the JD.com Fantasy Baseball league for his perfect game... ;)

Jeff

Randy's +23 SP performance (+5 W, +5 SHO, +13 K) is the best performance of the year by a SP, tied with Ben Sheets and his win with 18 K's.

Actually, I got the same thing from Jason Schmidt last night with his 13 K 1-hit shutout.

Make that 3 SPs tied for the best.

:)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 20, 2004, 08:50 PM »
Tampa Bay's SP Victor Zambrano has already walked 8 batters in his first 3.1 innings in tonight's game.  We must be coming up on some kind of record  :o

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #103 on: May 24, 2004, 09:40 AM »
Twins lost bad yesterday to the White Sox and are now in a tie for 1st with them.  The team that is absolutely sucking is the Royals.  WTF happened to them???

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #104 on: May 24, 2004, 10:07 AM »
Twins lost bad yesterday to the White Sox and are now in a tie for 1st with them.  The team that is absolutely sucking is the Royals.  WTF happened to them???

Royals Starting pitching:
4-19, team ERA = 5.01

That is pretty poor.  Looks like this year's Royals and Tigers switched places...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender