Author Topic: MLB 2004  (Read 116840 times)

Offline Padawan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: It's Outta Here! The JD Official 2004 Baseball Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2004, 05:57 PM »
I can't believe the Twinkies let LaTroi Hawkins go.  The guy throws some heat!  But his new club, the Cubbies aren't doing that well.

Cubs will be fine.  Once the pitching staff kicks it in they will go on a tear.  That offense is potent.  

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2004, 12:09 PM »
Bonds must be on some sort of mission to prove his record was no fluke...9 dingers already...7 in 7 games!  Trying to tie the record tonight shared by Mattingly, Jr Griffey and Dale Long

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2004, 04:29 AM »
Glad that turd missed the record.   8)

BTW, I think I'm a little overdue on stopping in here to point out (and gloat) that my Dodgers are tied for the best record in baseball!  Don't ask me how though...  I have no idea where the hell their usually paltry offense is coming from now, but it sure is fun to watch for the time being.  Unfortunately, my Angels are quickly sliding in the opposite direction...   :-\

Kudos to the Twinkies for being third best though.   ;)

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2004, 09:14 PM »
I'm just wondering how many of you guys go to Triple AAA (or double/single A) games?  Lately, I find myself having more fun at those games than I do the Major league ones.  Don't get me wrong, I love baseball and will gladly shell out the bucks to get good seats at the big boys fields but it's so much cheaper and more fun going to the local "Timber Rattlers" games than the Braves, Brewers and others.

My son has just signed with Eastern Michigan University to play baseball in the fall and even college baseball seems to be more "intense" than the major leagues.  I know it's the caliber of players and experience but I was just curious how others felt.

PS:  Maybe I should get downstate to a Tiger game instead of going to the Brewers before reality strikes and the Tigers curse comes back. ;)
Beth

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2004, 07:20 AM »
You know why, Beth?  Its because they're playing for the love of the game and not the money.  Every AAA game I've been to was great. Playing for that one goal every young boy seems to have: to play MLB.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2004, 08:39 AM »
You know why, Beth?  Its because they're playing for the love of the game and not the money.  Every AAA game I've been to was great. Playing for that one goal every young boy seems to have: to play MLB.

You're so right.  That attitude is right under my nose (my son's goal has always been to play in the Majors) and I never even realized it.  He lives for game and has worked his ass of to be recognized by universities.  We don't have high school baseball in the Upper Peninsula so all he could do was play American Legion ball and hope that someone noticed him at all the baseball camps he attended.  

Beth

Offline Padawan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2004, 01:44 PM »
As a Cubs fan I do not see the lack of intensity in MLB players, but I do know it exists.  I think that is why I have always been and always will be a Cubs fan.  Every year they go out and do the best they can with what they have to offer.  The way Sammy trots out to right at the beginning of home games signifies how much he appreciates the fans.  Kerry Wood and Carlos Zambrano's emotional outbursts show how much thay want to win.  There are so many more things I could add.  This team wants a ring for themselves and for the fans and will stop at nothing to get it.  The major difference this year than in year's past is the management is serious about winning it all as well.    
« Last Edit: April 23, 2004, 05:48 PM by Padawan »

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2004, 07:26 PM »
Red Sox sweep the Yankees in the Bronx.  The home town team delivered a good old fashioned ass kicking on Friday 11 -2, then won yesterday in 12 innings even though they went 0-19 with runners in scoring position.  Then today all they needed was a two run shot by Manny to complete the sweep and raise their record against the Yanks this year to 6-1.  Something's definitely wrong in Gotham and I couldn't be happier.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2004, 07:38 PM »
Red Sox sweep the Yankees in the Bronx.  The home town team delivered a good old fashioned ass kicking on Friday 11 -2, then won yesterday in 12 innings even though they went 0-19 with runners in scoring position.  Then today all they needed was a two run shot by Manny to complete the sweep and raise their record against the Yanks this year to 6-1.  Something's definitely wrong in Gotham and I couldn't be happier.

Nothing's wrong with the Yanks.  At least 3 of those wins were 1 or 2 run games that could have gone either way.  The Yanks defense was real sloppy but that's just a fluke.  It could have very easily been 4-3 Yanks in the season series right now.

What I find more remarkable is that Red Sox fans, who haven't had a World Series win in 85 years, have just said to hell with October and have just made the regular season games against the Yankees their "world series."

I would just like to offer one sound piece of advice:

Never bet against the Yankees.

Their bats are going to come around, and they will probably lead baseball in runs scored per game around 7-7.5, maybe even 8.

It's April baseball people, settle down.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2004, 08:42 PM »
Lets go Yankees lets go! *clap clap*

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2004, 10:33 PM »
The Yankees are the Yankees for a reason and I'm smart enough not to count my chickens before they hatch.  And I would give up those 6 wins now for 6 wins in October when it really counts.  And I have no doubt their bats are going to come around (Arod looks to be coming out of his slump), but the Sox are without two of their biggest bats (Nomar and Trot) right now also.  Every game they win now without them is a bonus.  Getting them back is going to help tremendously.  Every win counts, whether by 1 run or 9 runs.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2004, 10:35 PM »
The Yankees are the Yankees for a reason and I'm smart enough not to count my chickens before they hatch.  And I would give up those 6 wins now for 6 wins in October when it really counts.  And I have no doubt their bats are going to come around (Arod looks to be coming out of his slump), but the Sox are without two of their biggest bats (Nomar and Trot) right now also.  Every game they win now without them is a bonus.  Getting them back is going to help tremendously.  Every win counts, whether by 1 run or 9 runs.

I hear ya, but i'm here in Boston and let me tell you, people were running around in the streets while I was jogging to the gym acting like they were just declared 2004 World Series Champions.

The Yanks will see you in October, worry not.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2004, 10:36 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2004, 10:41 PM »
I take great joy when the Sox beat the Yanks, but there is no way in hell I'm declaring anything yet.  I've said since day one that they were going to beat the sh!t out of each other this year, just like last year.  Both teams are too evenly matched (although I'd give the slight edge to the Sox starting rotation).

And I wouldn't be surprised if they meet up again in October.  One thing's for sure, it should be a great season.

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2004, 12:16 AM »
Unfortunately, my Angels are quickly sliding in the opposite direction...  

Now my Angels are sliding in the right direction.  Matt yor wish for a freeway world series may happen this year if our teams play as will as they are now.  

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2004, 08:21 PM »
OCB, your boy, AJ Piroshki, is apparently hearing the boo birds inside the club house too.

Giants pitchers rip into Pierzynski

I'm not big on anonymous sources, but if this is true, I hope they can settle it.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2004, 08:25 PM by Jedi Idej »