Author Topic: MLB 2004  (Read 117152 times)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: It's Outta Here! The JD Official 2004 Baseball Thread
« Reply #120 on: June 3, 2004, 11:35 AM »
Yankee fans like me love to eat up you CA team chumps.

You still on for becoming a CA chump soon yourself, Matt?

I took a position at a dental clinic in upstate NY and successfully seduced my girlfriend of 3 years to leave Los Angeles behind and come to NY to live with me.  In sum, I brought  the mountain to Mohammed.  CA is nolonger necessary in the immediate future.  Perhaps in the long term though  :)
« Last Edit: June 3, 2004, 11:41 AM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 3, 2004, 11:39 AM »
So who's the smart guy who wisely took Vlad in our fantasy league?   8)

Oh, and that would be yours Truly Team BALCO!

BTW, we should rename Dressel's team Team SP/RP!

I got 4 saves on Tuesday night.  You can call my team anything you want!

BTW Mr. Pearson, you picking up Scott Shields reminds me of the time that I went to Target and saw 3 Ephant Mons on the pegs.  2 were gem mint and went into my shopping cart, the 3rd was bashed, creased, and jacked, and I left it on the shelf.  Scott Shields is that bashed, jacked Ephant Mon.  He's the #3 closer behind Troy Percival and Frankie Rodriguez.  Any SP/RP that will provide a steady stream of SV's is already on my squad.  

:D

PS I think Magglio Ordonez is quietly going down for a couple months here.  I've seen reports of him needing to rest his hammy for 1 week to needing exploratory surgery and sitting 2 months.  Chances are you'll eat into a little of my 200 point lead  :'(
« Last Edit: June 3, 2004, 11:40 AM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #122 on: June 3, 2004, 11:58 AM »
196 Point lead...damn you

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #123 on: June 4, 2004, 12:51 PM »
I took a position at a dental clinic in upstate NY and successfully seduced my girlfriend of 3 years to leave Los Angeles behind and come to NY to live with me.

You dumbass!  I was looking forward to another local collector around here...   >:(

But congrats on the job and girlfriend relocation though.  This mean you're gonna finally propose to her?!?   ;)

Looks like the Angels pickup of Mondesi finally paid some dividends last night, when he jacked one out, and threw out a runner at home.  Despite all the injuries, we've won 3 in a row and are still hanging tough...   8)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 4, 2004, 05:53 PM »
I was at another Yankee game yesterday, and we broke out the brooms, sweeping the Orioles for a second time.  Man, does that team need pitching!  But I've got to admit, Baltimore has a serious lineup with Tejada, Palmeiro and Lopez hitting 3-4-5, but the guy who was really impressive?  Melvin Mora!  This guy is hitting .380, and he was 2-4 yeasterday with a couple of good hits!  It figures that the Mets would let this guy go.  And the only ball to get jacked was courtesy of Javy Lopez.  Drat!

The Yanks looked good, but a lot of guys had the day off as it was a day game right after a night game.  Bernie Williams had most of the game off until the 7th.  Sheffield was DH-ing.  Posada had the day off.  Giambi is still recuperating.  But all in all, the Yanks pulled off a good win with a somewhat unorthodox lineup.  NICE!
« Last Edit: June 4, 2004, 05:54 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #125 on: June 6, 2004, 05:16 PM »
Very glad to be seeing Junior Ken Griffey J.R. Jr doing so well this year...he's on a tear and finally Cincy is winning.  Talk about being Snakebit...3 healthy years and he might be right on Bonds heels right now for Aaron's record.  Always liked the guy too

2 More for 500...watch him pull another Hammy :-\

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 7, 2004, 12:16 AM »
Well, although Griffey Jr. has bopped a bunch over the fence this first 1/3 of the season, it should be noted that he's also batting .245 at the plate.  That's not vintage Griffey.  I'd still rather have Manny Ramirez in my outfield as he's hitting .345, 100 pts higher, and with 15 HR.  

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #127 on: June 7, 2004, 04:43 PM »
True...I would take Manny over Junior but thats knowing what's happened to him in the last 3 years...if he had been healthy hitting 40 HR's a year...he'd be closing in on 600 instead of 500 and would probably be just as formidible as Bonds is...plus he has help in the Line Up with Dunn and Casey.

He also started the year slow, so to have a .250 average right now is pretty respectable...and to think a few weeks ago they were talking of trading him.  I don't see that happening any time soon...

I was in Cincy last summer and listened to the talk Sports shows which were about ready to buy tickets for Junior to fly to Alaska and never come back.  I'm glad he's playing so well and I think he's much more apt to root for than Bonds ever will be (except when he's on your Team BALCO)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #128 on: June 7, 2004, 05:18 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1817400

Padres take a page from the Twins' notebook and draft a local HS hero as the #1 pick in draft due to "signability".

Damn agents!  Teams get stuck with lesser picks (cough*Mauer*cough) because their dang agents threaten to hold out!  >:(

Grrr... the rules need to be changed to allow draft picks to be traded.  Right now, it is against the rules to let picks get traded, so baseball resorts to the old "Player to be named later" nonsense.  I wish they would change the rules, that way if a team knew a player wouldn't sign (cough*Prior*cough), at least then they could trade the pick to a team he would sign with and get something in return.

>:(

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #129 on: June 7, 2004, 05:22 PM »
First Round, 2004 Amateur Draft:

1. Padres -- Matt Bush, SS, Mission Bay H.S., El Cajon, Calif.
2. Tigers -- Justin Verlander, RHP, Old Dominion
3. Mets -- Philip Humber, RHP, Rice
4. Devil Rays -- Jeff Niemann, RHP, Rice
5. Brewers -- Mark Rogers, RHP, Mount Ararat H.S., Orr's Island, Maine
6. Indians -- Jeremy Sowers, LHP, Vanderbilt
7. Reds -- Homer Bailey, RHP, LaGrange, Texas
8. Orioles -- Wade Townsend, RHP, Rice
9. Rockies -- Chris Nelson, SS, Redan H.S, Decatur, Ga.
10. Rangers -- Thomas Diamond, RHP, New Orleans
11. Pirates -- Neil Walker, C, Pine Richland H.S., Gibsonia, Pa.
12. Angels -- Jered Weaver, RHP, Long Beach State
13. Expos -- Bill Brey, LHP, William and Mary
14. Royals -- Billy Butler, 3B, Wolfson H.S., Jacksonville, Fla.
15. Diamondbacks -- Stephen Drew, SS, Florida State
16. Blue Jays -- David Purcey, LHP, Oklahoma
17. Dodgers -- Scott Elbert, LHP, Seneca H.S., Seneca, Mo.
18. White Sox -- Josh Fields, 3B, Oklahoma State
19. Cardinals -- Chris Lambert, RHP, Boston College
20. Twins -- Trevor Plouffe, SS, Crespi H.S., Northridge, Calif.
21. Phillies -- Greg Golson, CF, Connally H.S., Austin, Texas
22. Twins -- Glen Perkins, LHP, Minnesota
23. Yankees -- Philip Hughes, RHP, Foothill H.S., Santa Ana, Calif.
24. A's -- Landon Powell, C, South Carolina
25. Twins -- Kyle Waldrop, RHP, Farragut H.S., Knoxville, Tenn.
26. A's -- Richard Robnett, CF, Fresno State
27. Marlins -- Taylor Tankersley, LHP, Alabama
28. Dodgers -- Blake DeWitt, 2B, Sikeston H.S., Sikeston, Mo.
29. Royals -- Matt Campbell, LHP, South Carolina
30. Rangers -- Eric Hurley, RHP, Wolfson H.S., Jacksonville, Fla.

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 7, 2004, 10:33 PM »
True...I would take Manny over Junior but thats knowing what's happened to him in the last 3 years...if he had been healthy hitting 40 HR's a year...he'd be closing in on 600 instead of 500 and would probably be just as formidible as Bonds is...plus he has help in the Line Up with Dunn and Casey.

He also started the year slow, so to have a .250 average right now is pretty respectable...and to think a few weeks ago they were talking of trading him.  I don't see that happening any time soon...

I was in Cincy last summer and listened to the talk Sports shows which were about ready to buy tickets for Junior to fly to Alaska and never come back.  I'm glad he's playing so well and I think he's much more apt to root for than Bonds ever will be (except when he's on your Team BALCO)

Scott Pearson buys 1 new pair of panties for every 50 points I go up on him in the JD Fantasy Baseball League.

He currently has undergarments for Monday through Thursday.

He's got more freedom on the weekends.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #131 on: June 7, 2004, 10:36 PM »
Wearing Women's Underwear is part of my Turn-Ons

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #132 on: June 9, 2004, 02:47 AM »
Crazy Angels/Brewers game still going on right now (at almost midnight).  ZERO - ZERO score in the 17th inning!   :o  Angels only have 3 hits so far, and actually had a perfect game going against them until two outs in the 7th.  But on the flip side, the Angels pitchers just set the major league record by striking out 26 Brewers batters in one game.   8)

As for Griffey Jr., I'm glad to see him finally playing up to his old standards again, and being healthy for the first time in 3 years.  It's been sad watching him become so fragile of late, his stats and averages declining, and the Cincy fans absolutely turning on him.  Hopefully he stays healthy and puts up some monster numbers this year.

On another note, Clemens pitched another incredible game tonight, improving to 9-0, with a 2.08 ERA.  He'd be winning the pitching Triple Crown in the majors if it wasn't for Randy Johnson, who's got 10 more K's than Rocket does.  Clemens is just amazing.  Should be very interesting to see if how well he can keep this up for the rest of the season.  Absolutely, mind-bogglingly insane pitching from a 41 year old (or a pitcher of any age for that matter)!

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 9, 2004, 03:40 AM »
Crazy Angels/Brewers game still going on right now (at almost midnight).  ZERO - ZERO score in the 17th inning!   :o  Angels only have 3 hits so far, and actually had a perfect game going against them until two outs in the 7th.  But on the flip side, the Angels pitchers just set the major league record by striking out 26 Brewers batters in one game.   8)

As for Griffey Jr., I'm glad to see him finally playing up to his old standards again, and being healthy for the first time in 3 years.  It's been sad watching him become so fragile of late, his stats and averages declining, and the Cincy fans absolutely turning on him.  Hopefully he stays healthy and puts up some monster numbers this year.

On another note, Clemens pitched another incredible game tonight, improving to 9-0, with a 2.08 ERA.  He'd be winning the pitching Triple Crown in the majors if it wasn't for Randy Johnson, who's got 10 more K's than Rocket does.  Clemens is just amazing.  Should be very interesting to see if how well he can keep this up for the rest of the season.  Absolutely, mind-bogglingly insane pitching from a 41 year old (or a pitcher of any age for that matter)!
Its over now. :'(  I was at this game and was hoping for at least 23 innings of play.  One of the funniest things about it was the fact we got the wave going with only about 10,000 or few people left in the seats and we got it going for a few turns then the Brewers scored.  I was so hoping for a 21st inning strech.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 9, 2004, 11:46 AM »
The New York Yankees have the best record and winning percentage in baseball at .643

The closest 2nd place team is the Boston Red Sox at .596