Author Topic: MLB 2004  (Read 117667 times)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: It's Outta Here! The JD Official 2004 Baseball Thread
« Reply #150 on: July 1, 2004, 07:51 PM »
Garcia was shaky at best against the Twins, but the ChiSox got the job done...

At least we play KC soon so maybe the Twins can rebound a bit.

Anyone heard any good trade rumors lately?

I'd hate to think we're done already, but it sounds like Boston, NYC, and Cali are not planning on dealing, while Oakland and Chicago are all done.

Jeff

Mmmmm word has it that the Yanks are going after Randy Johnson real hard.  The 'Backs say that they won't trade him unless the Big Unit requests a trade, but at the same time word has it that Randy is complaining about the lack of offense in Arizona (he's not getting enough run support); but that's understandable since Richie Sexson who's good for .280 40 HR 110 RBI went down for the year with the shoulder, plus Robby Alomar's out all year so far.  Brandon Webb has had a disappointing sophomore season.

All in all, I say the chances of the Yanks getting Johnson is 50-50.  I am a little scared of the Red Sox reuniting Schilling with the Unit, I have to say, as a Yankee fan.

Hopefully we'll see Johnson in pinstripes, or at the very least, Carlos Delgado, since Beltran and Garcia already have new homes.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 2, 2004, 07:56 AM »
While I would love to see the Big Unit in Boston, unfortunely I think they need the hitting and defense more.  Manny and Ortiz can't provide all the offense and giving up 60 unearned runs (so far) is pathetic.  I hate to say it, but I think it's time to trade Nomar and see what we can get.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 2, 2004, 12:16 PM »
While I would love to see the Big Unit in Boston, unfortunely I think they need the hitting and defense more.  Manny and Ortiz can't provide all the offense and giving up 60 unearned runs (so far) is pathetic.  I hate to say it, but I think it's time to trade Nomar and see what we can get.

On behalf of the New York Yankees:

We don't want him!

Enjoying our 8.5 game AL East cushion,

Dressel, Cashman, and Steinbrenner

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 2, 2004, 09:55 PM »
What, Giants in first place despite losing 2 of 3 to LA in the last series?

JediMac, if it's any consolation, Bonds will now make his off-season home in 90210... in case you want to egg his house.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #154 on: July 8, 2004, 11:13 AM »
At least we play KC soon so maybe the Twins can rebound a bit.

Ha!

What a couple nights for my boys, THREE complete game shut-outs in a row as the Twins destroyed KC, outscoring them 25-0 over the past three games.  

Radke threw a 4-hitter, then Santana a 3-hitter, then Lohse with a six-hitter last night.  That's 27 scoreless innings by starters, along with 24 strikeouts and only 2 walks.  KC managed to get 13 hits scattered across those 27 innings, all of them singles.

Things are getting pretty bad in KC.  Since tradong Beltran, they are 1-12 and they have scored just one run in the last 37 innings of baseball.  KC's big boon last year was their divisional record, but this year that's flopping.  After going 11-8 against Minny last year, this year, they are 3-9 so far.  Not looking good for them....  :)

But, things are looking better for the Twins.  After the Sweep of KC, and combined with the Chi-Sox 5-game losing streak, my boys are back in First Place with a 2.5 game lead and a fully rested bull-pen... here's to hoping that they continue the run by pounding on Detroit!

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #155 on: July 8, 2004, 11:16 AM »
Don't anyone look at who I picked to win the Central this year either.  Who knew after getting swept by the Pale Hose last week the Twins would be up by 2.5 again so soon.

Sad to see that happen the Royals

Oh...and Dressel, your once almost 300 point lead is fading fast.  And that's without Beckett and Wood pitching for me...I'm gonna get you sucka!

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 8, 2004, 06:48 PM »
Don't anyone look at who I picked to win the Central this year either.  Who knew after getting swept by the Pale Hose last week the Twins would be up by 2.5 again so soon.

Sad to see that happen the Royals

Oh...and Dressel, your once almost 300 point lead is fading fast.  And that's without Beckett and Wood pitching for me...I'm gonna get you sucka!

Strong words from a 2nd rate team that's down 230 points to the big dog.

Good luck.

« Last Edit: July 8, 2004, 11:08 PM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #157 on: July 11, 2004, 12:07 AM »
Big dog my ass.  BALCO!

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 11, 2004, 02:58 AM »
Big dog my ass.  BALCO!

Yeah Jason Giambi and Gary Sheffield have been ultra scary.  I'm going to go find a corner to cower and quake in fear.

:-X
« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 03:02 AM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 11, 2004, 12:50 PM »
Manny Ramirez is making a bid for the Triple Crown in the AL.  He's currently batting .345 with 26 HR and 77 RBI, which makes him the leader in both homeruns and runs batted in and fourth in batting average.

Over in the NL, Scott Rolen is the leader in RBIs and is hitting about .340, but probably will not have the HR total to compete if Jim Thome remains healthy.

Watch for Manny Ramirez to make a serious run at the crown.

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 14, 2004, 10:41 PM »
For those who mostly see Bonds only in seconds-long highlights, did you notice in the All-Star game and homerun derby how he now sports a *ahem*  looser fit uniform top than in past years?  :P

Whether Bonds took THG, knowingly took a substance that doesn't conform to the spirit of fair play, or if he should even be penalized for either of the above if conclusively proven -- it wasn't illegal at the time of alleged use and the bill making it illegal has hit a snag -- I get a kick out of the people in the game who jump in and out of his bandwagon.

Reggie Jackson made nice with his comments about the unfairness of the innuendos of the game's athletes and performance enhancers. Yet, a few months ago, he did everthing but name Bonds when he ripped into athletes using steroids. I suppose the 23 homers despite the walks and mounting scrutiny kinda muffled Jackson tad.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #161 on: July 26, 2004, 03:37 PM »
Page 3 :-\

Trading deadline is fast approaching, sounds like the Twins are making a serious play for Kris Benson...he'd be a great pick up...may ship out Mientkiewicz too

Sounds like Giambi is really sick :-\  Or its BALCO coming back to bite him in the ass

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #162 on: July 26, 2004, 03:40 PM »
I read that they aer testing Giambi for all sorts of stuff to figure out why he's sick:
HIV, Cancer, weird parasites, etc.

I don't think they have ANY idea why he's sick... unless they are just coving up his BALCO crash?  Strange...

Jeff

ps.
My Boy Milty had a no-no going into the 8th this weekend and the Phillies almost blew it for him  >:(
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 26, 2004, 03:43 PM »
the "official" story was that both he and kevin brown had unknown parasites from their trip to japan at the start of the season. but i heard about all those tests for everything under the sun as well. i think the first half already came back, and they found nothing. they are still waiting for the rest of the results to get back in.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 27, 2004, 09:41 PM »
Page 3 :-\

Trading deadline is fast approaching, sounds like the Twins are making a serious play for Kris Benson...he'd be a great pick up...may ship out Mientkiewicz too

Sounds like Giambi is really sick :-\  Or its BALCO coming back to bite him in the ass

He feels weak cuz of the lack of steroids.  Ceeeeeerrrrrash!!!