Author Topic: MLB 2004  (Read 117957 times)

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
Re: It's Outta Here! The JD Official 2004 Baseball Thread
« Reply #165 on: July 28, 2004, 01:33 PM »
http://msn.foxsports.com/story/2611108

Some rumors from FoxSports.com.  Enjoy.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #166 on: July 28, 2004, 04:17 PM »
I've been pleasantly quiet of late in this thread, but I just wanted to make sure that everyone here was aware that my Dodgers are officially KICKING ALL YOUR ASSES right now.

That's all.

Thanks.

- M

P.S.  Damned Angels are still farting around though.  But hopefully they'll land the Big Unit, and get their $h!t back together real soon here...   >:(

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #167 on: July 28, 2004, 04:28 PM »
Don't worry, the Dodgers will crap out at the end of the year for one reason only... from page 1 of this thread:

I, too, am a crappy division-winner chooser, but it never stops me from trying...

AL East: New York Yankees
AL Central:  Minnesota Twins
AL West: Oakland A's
AL Wild Card: Toronto Blue Jays

NL East: Atlanta Braves
NL Central: Chicago Cubs
NL West: LA Dodgers
NL Wild Card: Houston Astros

You're doomed.

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 28, 2004, 07:47 PM »
Bad news for you then.  Randy Johnson shot down a trade to the Dodgers within the last couple of days.  The D-Backs were so sure it was complete that they went to him and asked him to waive his no-trade and he declined!  He is saying Yankees or bust now.  Funny thing is, a kid from my high school who's in the Dodgers system was supposed to be part of the deal.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 28, 2004, 08:10 PM »
Bad news for you then.  Randy Johnson shot down a trade to the Dodgers within the last couple of days.  The D-Backs were so sure it was complete that they went to him and asked him to waive his no-trade and he declined!  He is saying Yankees or bust now.  Funny thing is, a kid from my high school who's in the Dodgers system was supposed to be part of the deal.

I don't know if I like the Yankees trading for him.  Sure, the guy is a gamer.  But the D-Backs want Jorge Posada, who is arguably the second best catcher in baseball.  I don't know if I'd do it.  It would be the first instance of the Yanks trading one of their big home-grown players.  It would almost be like them trading Jeter, to put it in perspective.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 28, 2004, 08:21 PM »

I don't know if I like the Yankees trading for him.  Sure, the guy is a gamer.  But the D-Backs want Jorge Posada, who is arguably the second best catcher in baseball.  I don't know if I'd do it.  It would be the first instance of the Yanks trading one of their big home-grown players.  It would almost be like them trading Jeter, to put it in perspective.

Where did you see they wanted Posada?  That's the first I'd heard of that.  We all know that won't happen.  The reason the D-Backs haven't sent him to the Bronx is because there are no "major league ready" prospects in the Yanks system.  That's why all the 3-way trade rumors are surfacing now.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #171 on: July 28, 2004, 08:34 PM »
This is what I like to see...

Big White Sox miscue helps lead to huge Twins sweep

3.5 game lead, now turn it on (with or without Benson) and don't look back!

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 28, 2004, 08:47 PM »
Rumor has it that Johnson asked "acquaintances" about playing in SF and for the Giants. The likelihood of landing him is virtually zip, but oh, I can dream.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #173 on: July 28, 2004, 08:57 PM »
Bad news for you then.  Randy Johnson shot down a trade to the Dodgers within the last couple of days...He is saying Yankees or bust now.

Yeah, that's the same thing I unfortunately heard on the sports talk radio during lunch unfortunately...  What the hell happened to the Angels though?  I thought they were the favorites just a day or two ago.  Dammit!

As for the Posada demand by the D'backs, I heard the same thing on the radio at lunch today too, but most everyone was in agreement that the Yanks would be stupid to do that.  Just as the Dodgers would've been stupid to let Paul LoDuca go as part of a potential Big Unit deal too...

Today's the supposed deadline (that Randy just set) to figure all this crap out.  So it sounds like there's only a few more hours for the D'backs to move him.  Should be interesting...

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 28, 2004, 09:35 PM »
Bad news for you then.  Randy Johnson shot down a trade to the Dodgers within the last couple of days...He is saying Yankees or bust now.

Yeah, that's the same thing I unfortunately heard on the sports talk radio during lunch unfortunately...  What the hell happened to the Angels though?  I thought they were the favorites just a day or two ago.  Dammit!

As for the Posada demand by the D'backs, I heard the same thing on the radio at lunch today too, but most everyone was in agreement that the Yanks would be stupid to do that.  Just as the Dodgers would've been stupid to let Paul LoDuca go as part of a potential Big Unit deal too...

Today's the supposed deadline (that Randy just set) to figure all this crap out.  So it sounds like there's only a few more hours for the D'backs to move him.  Should be interesting...

What happened to the Angels is that they forgot how to score runs and have fallen out of the race for Unit.  As it stands for them, he doesn't see them as a legit title contender so he doesn't want to go there and the Angels are reluctant to part with any of their studs in the farm system.  Anaheim is the best fit, but I don't see it happening unfortunately.  I'd like to see Randy pitch all the time as much as the next guy here in So Cal, but it ain't gonna happen.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #175 on: July 29, 2004, 07:49 PM »
Reports are hitting the radio that the Dodgers are somehow back in the running for the Unit.  Still prefer to see him go to the Halos, but the Dodgers would be a nice runner up choice.  I'm sure the Yanks will still figure out a way to eventually make it happen though, unfortunately...

BTW, A-Rod suspended for 4 games for that brawl with the Sox.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 29, 2004, 10:51 PM »

BTW, A-Rod suspended for 4 games for that brawl with the Sox.

Varitek should have gotten 5-7 for punching A Rod in the face to start the whole thing, then maybe 1-2 for A Rod for being involved.  What was A Rod supposed to do, let Varitek punch him in the face and walk calmly back to the dugout?
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 29, 2004, 11:01 PM »
Varitek should have gotten 5-7 for punching A Rod in the face to start the whole thing, then maybe 1-2 for A Rod for being involved.  What was A Rod supposed to do, let Varitek punch him in the face and walk calmly back to the dugout?

Of course he was.

Baseball is such a civil sport, I'm shocked at his actions. ::)

I'd have picked up a bat and started swinging!

Went Hank Arron on them all!

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 30, 2004, 10:14 PM »
A flurry of deals today, the biggest being the Dodgers/Marlins deal.  Very suprised that the Dodgers dealt LoDuca, who I consider to be the heart of their squad.  They must really be confident that they can land Randy Johnson.  Supposed Unit is going to sleep on the deal to LA.  

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 30, 2004, 11:28 PM »
A flurry of deals today, the biggest being the Dodgers/Marlins deal.  Very suprised that the Dodgers dealt LoDuca, who I consider to be the heart of their squad.  They must really be confident that they can land Randy Johnson.  Supposed Unit is going to sleep on the deal to LA.  

I don't think there's a team on the planet that wouldn't deal Lo Duca for Brad Penny anyhow; regardless of whether it turns into a 1/2 year of the Unit or not.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda