Author Topic: MLB 2004  (Read 117164 times)

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
Re: It's Outta Here! The JD Official 2004 Baseball Thread
« Reply #180 on: July 31, 2004, 07:31 PM »
A flurry of deals today, the biggest being the Dodgers/Marlins deal.  Very suprised that the Dodgers dealt LoDuca, who I consider to be the heart of their squad.  They must really be confident that they can land Randy Johnson.  Supposed Unit is going to sleep on the deal to LA.  

I don't think there's a team on the planet that wouldn't deal Lo Duca for Brad Penny anyhow; regardless of whether it turns into a 1/2 year of the Unit or not.

That's debatable.  The LA Times was filled with articles today about how the Dodger players were stunned that Lo Duca was dealt.  He was the heart of the team.  The Dodgers brass better hope these deals don't ruin the team's chemistry, especially now that Charles Johnson vetoed the trade from Colorado and the Unit deal falling through.  Penny definitely upgrades their staff, but now they have no catcher.  The West is so weak they should still make it out of there.

I'm SO happy that Nomar is out of Boston.  I wish him well with the Cubbies.  

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #181 on: July 31, 2004, 07:45 PM »
I'm still fuming over the LoDuca deal as well, and to rub salt in L.A.'s wounds, we didn't even wind up landing Randy Johnson, or Charles Johnson who was all set to replace LoDuca behind the plate.

LoDuca was definitely the heart and soul of the Dodgers, and pretty much every L.A. fan's favorite player.  To make matters worse, we'll probably lose Adrian Beltre after this season.  Man, if the Dodgers don't stay in the playoff picture, heads WILL role over yesterday's deal.

Just as heartbreaking to Dodger fans as when we dumped our other beloved catcher several years back - Piazza.  This blows.

Unit stays in AZ.  That blows too.  But I guess it's better than having him in pinstripes!   ;)

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 1, 2004, 12:39 AM »
Unit stays in AZ.  That blows too.  But I guess it's better than having him in pinstripes!   ;)

>:(

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 1, 2004, 02:37 PM »
I've been pleasantly quiet of late in this thread, but I just wanted to make sure that everyone here was aware that my Dodgers are officially KICKING ALL YOUR ASSES right now.

So they are. So they are. One thing certain about the Dodgers from the last dozen years, they'll find a way to screw up.  :-*

****Breaking News****
GM DePodesta sucks lifeforce from Dodgers.

LoDuca? Dave Roberts? These two (along with Gagne and to a lesser extent, Green) were the backbone of the Dodgers. What was DePodesta thinking?

Not that I'm complaining.  ;D

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 1, 2004, 10:32 PM »
I've been pleasantly quiet of late in this thread, but I just wanted to make sure that everyone here was aware that my Dodgers are officially KICKING ALL YOUR ASSES right now.

So they are. So they are. One thing certain about the Dodgers from the last dozen years, they'll find a way to screw up.  :-*

****Breaking News****
GM DePodesta sucks lifeforce from Dodgers.

LoDuca? Dave Roberts? These two (along with Gagne and to a lesser extent, Green) were the backbone of the Dodgers. What was DePodesta thinking?

Not that I'm complaining.  ;D

Brad Penny and his 3.15 ERA and 1.25 WHIP isn't such a bad thing.  This is a guy who beat the Yankees twice in the World Series last year, winning a championship.  He is the 15th to 20th best pitcher in baseball, somewhere in there.  While Lo Duca may be a fan favorite in LA, he was a tad overrated on the left coast.  He averages just 125 games per year over his career.  At the same time, while LoDuca was just a little better than average offensively most of his career, Steve Finley's bat that was also added with Penny more than makes up for Lo Duca leaving.  And remember, pitching wins.  I think the Dodgers are a much better team adding Brad Penny and Steve Finley.  And those changes are magnified in a weak division.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #185 on: August 1, 2004, 10:36 PM »
I think the Twins are giving the Dodgers a run for thier money as the hottest team in baseball.  Damn me for leaving Santana on my bench for todays game >:(

They seemed to give away Meintkeiwicz, that wasn't too cool :-\

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 2, 2004, 03:49 AM »
Brad Penny and his 3.15 ERA and 1.25 WHIP isn't such a bad thing.  This is a guy who beat the Yankees twice in the World Series last year, winning a championship.  He is the 15th to 20th best pitcher in baseball, somewhere in there.  While Lo Duca may be a fan favorite in LA, he was a tad overrated on the left coast.  He averages just 125 games per year over his career.  At the same time, while LoDuca was just a little better than average offensively most of his career, Steve Finley's bat that was also added with Penny more than makes up for Lo Duca leaving.  And remember, pitching wins.  I think the Dodgers are a much better team adding Brad Penny and Steve Finley.  And those changes are magnified in a weak division.

I can't stress enough the chemistry aspect for this team. Perhaps it was only during Giants/Dodgers games and the rivalry had something to do with it, but in those games, Lo Duca was always amped up and was usually involved in a key play. And it seemed like Roberts was always getting on base and scoring or making a nice defensive play. On a team that was finally coming into their own, losing a fifth of the roster -- and two of those being their "spark plugs" -- and having to integrate their 5 replacements with under 60 games left... And let's not forget, they dealt Mota.

For Giants fans worldwide, let's hope I'm right.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #187 on: August 7, 2004, 02:13 AM »
And let's not forget, they dealt Mota.

Yep, and it cost us the very next game!  Mota was our setup man for Gagne, and was 8-4 with a miniscule ERA.  So he leaves and Dreifort replaces him, and what happens?  We're up 2-1 in the 8th inning.  Bring in our new setup man Dreifort, and what does he do?  Yep.  Gives up two runs, and we lose 3-2.  Fortunately, we've still been playing pretty well since then (24-7 over our last 31 games - Not bad  ;))

Still not thrilled with some of those deals, but Matt's right, getting Finley and Penny's not a bad thing...  Just didn't want to have to lose LoDuca and Mota to do it.  But things seem to continue rolling along smoothly for the Blue Crew, so I guess I'll bite my tongue and not complain about it... for now.

In other news, the Cards already stacked lineup (Pujols, Rolen, Edmonds) just got even better by adding Larry Walker from the Rock's, for absolutely zip practically.  Man, that's a murderer's row if I ever saw one (at least by today's standards).

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 7, 2004, 09:16 AM »
Damn me for leaving Santana on my bench for todays game >:(

Don't feel bad.  I actually did the same thing for Jason Schmidt last night.  It seems that they moved up his start 1 game.  Our mistakes cancel out.  

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #189 on: August 9, 2004, 01:40 PM »
Brad Penny and his 3.15 ERA and 1.25 WHIP isn't such a bad thing.  This is a guy who beat the Yankees twice in the World Series last year, winning a championship.  He is the 15th to 20th best pitcher in baseball...  And remember, pitching wins.  I think the Dodgers are a much better team adding Brad Penny and Steve Finley.

Not when Penny's fragile ass goes down in the first inning of his second start with us.   >:(  Looked pretty bad, but they're hoping it's just a sprained bicep.  But when I see a pitcher just run right off the mound in sheer pain after throwing a pitch, I tend to worry that it may be something much worse.  Guess we'll know soon.

Meanwhile, my Angels are finally showing signs of life, and creeping back into the AL West picture.  Only 1.5 back now!   8)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
AL Wild Card Race
« Reply #190 on: August 9, 2004, 02:22 PM »
OK,

Who wins the AL Wild Card?

Boston Red Sox (My pick)
Texas Rangers
Oakland A's
Anaheim Angels
Clevland Indians

I'm pretty sure that Minnesota can hang on, especially with the White Sox being so Diseased.  I am also certain that the Evil Empire will win another AL East, barring a major disaster (ie a plane crash with all team members aboard).

The West, however... I'm not so sure about.  Seems like the A's have the pitching, the Angels the hitting, and Texas the will-power to stay in the hunt.  Someone is gonna win the West, but will the runners-up have a shot at the Wild Card?  Is it an all-or-nothing division this year?

I'm going to stick with my original plan and choose the A's to win the West... leaving the Wild Card door open for the Red Sox as the Angels and Rangers crap out.

Jeff

ps.
Having just spent the week in Boston, it's safe to say the folks there don't appreciate Douggie Baseball just quite yet.  At least not as much as they miss No-mah.  That NomarGate stuff is crazy... lotsa cheap Nomar T-Shirts around though.

Also, I got to tour Fenway.   Absolutely Amazing.  I was sad I couldn't take in a game, but the tour was great.  Got to go to the press box, the .406 Club level, the Green Monster Seats, and take a walk on the warning track around the field (no going on the field though as it was being groomed :().  

Truly a "wicked awesome" ballpark.  Makes me sad to have to sit in that teflon baggie covered cement monster to watch a baseball game  :'(

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 9, 2004, 02:34 PM »
The three teams in the West will beat the piss out of each other for the remainder of the season thus  giving the WC  to the most underachieving sack of ***** I've ever seen play the game.  And stupid ass me will final believe this is the year only to have my heart ripped out once again.  At least by then the Patriots should be close to a 20 game win streak and it will ease the pain a little.

Common sense isn't so common

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 9, 2004, 10:12 PM »
The A's will win the West and the Angels will win the Wild Card.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 9, 2004, 10:16 PM »
I don't know about that.  Texas has been pretty hot.  I think it'll be the A's winning the west, but Texas bringing in the wild card.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 10, 2004, 12:35 AM »
The A's will win the West and the Angels will win the Wild Card.

The way I see it any of the three - A's, Angels, or Rangers can take the AL West, and the remaining 2 combined with the Red Sox all have a one in three chance of winning the AL wild card.  It's tight.

Over in the NL, what the HELL happened to the Astros?  I know you Red Sox fans may disagree, but just looking at winning percentage W and L's, the Astros are the most perplexingly underachieving team in '04.  I don't get it.  Beltran, Kent, Berkman, Bagwell, Pettitte, Clemens, Oswalt.  Man.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2004, 12:37 AM by Dressel Rebel »