Author Topic: MLB 2004  (Read 117882 times)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: It's Outta Here! The JD Official 2004 Baseball Thread
« Reply #390 on: October 6, 2004, 08:07 AM »
1 game down, 10 more to go.

I missed the 7 run inning and was forced to listen to it on the radio because MLB doesn't get the fact that people are still working at ******* 4 o'clock in the afternoon.  Dipshits.  And it's not just yesterday's game.  Tonight's game starts at 10pm and with Colon pitching and the amount of time he takes in between pitches, the game will probably end around 2am.   ::)  Hey but at least Friday's game starts, oh yeah, that's right 4 pm.  Asswads.

I think Petey will bounce back tonight.  It won't be a perfect game, but he'll do enough and leave with the lead.  That is of course, unless Francona leaves him too long, ala, He Who Must Not Be Named.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #391 on: October 6, 2004, 09:41 AM »
Can I just say again how impressed I am with my club???

* FIVE Double Plays to get out of trouble!

* An A-Rod homer stolen by Hunter! (I loved A-Rod's little smirk when he saw Torii caught that ball)

* A Sierra (oops) homer foul ball called correctly by the officials!

* Hunter gunning Posada at the plate!

* Santana - 7 IP, 0 ER, and only 93 pitches

They didn't give the Yankees any extra outs, they played great fundamental ball, and they took their chances when they got them.

Very impressed indeed, especially compared to the 7 run - 4th inning tragedy in the other AL series (oooh, burn!)  ;D

I have great faith that my club will jump all over Lieber (14-8, 4.33) and the BRadke (11-6, 3.48) will bring the good stuff... :)

Jeff
« Last Edit: October 6, 2004, 09:56 AM by Nataku »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: October 6, 2004, 09:54 AM »
Can I just say again how impressed I am with my club???

* An A-Rod homer stolen by Hunter! (I loved A-Rod's little smirk when he saw Torii caught that ball)

Great play but I don't think it would have been a homer if Torii didn't catch it.  Looked like it would have bounced off the top of the wall for at least a double.

* A Bernie homer foul ball called correctly by the officials!

Ruben Sierra hit that ball.  Best part was him striking out after rounding the bases.

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: October 6, 2004, 11:33 AM »
Yeah, so that sure wasn't worth taking a day off for!   :P  I wasn't terribly surprised though.  Schilling's a rock in the postseason, so I thought he'd handle us pretty well.  I was actually surprised to see us get to him as much as we did.  If we had just a couple more key hits we would've been right in there.  Had some of our top guns up there with runners on base and in scoring position several times, but we couldn't come through in the clutch.  Surprised at how poor our fielding was though...   ::)

Being at the game it was worst... exspecailly being next to some Sox fans.  I compelely missed the 9th inning since I was watching a protinal fight/riot between Angels fans and SOx fans.  Nothing to bad started just a Sox fan getting his hat throwen around a bit (almost on off the level we were on).  The cops escoted out the two main probelms from the stadium before anything bad broke up.

Pretty worried about the Dodgers, but I think the Angels will bounce back.  They always do.  I think they lost all three of their Game 1's on the way to their World Championship a couple years ago, so I don't think they're gonna panic.  And since Pedro's been pitching like **** for the past month (which I hadn't fully realized until today), I think we can hopefully rough him up a little.  I think the nerves will hopefully be a little better for Vlad, Figgins and the other playoff newbies come Game 2.  They sure better be!

I think we will start getting runs and the win tonight.  I think I saw that its going to be on UPN so hopefully I can watch it since I don't have cable.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #394 on: October 6, 2004, 10:59 PM »
Come On!  Where the hell are all of the baseball fans out there...5-5, Rivera blows the Save, Twins and Yankees in the 12th and Nathan just shut down Jeter, A-Rod, Sheff (BALCO!), Matsui, Posada, and Sierra...wowza what a game!!!

GO TWINS!

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #395 on: October 6, 2004, 11:03 PM »
[holding breath]
 :-X

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #396 on: October 6, 2004, 11:03 PM »
TORII!!!!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #397 on: October 6, 2004, 11:17 PM »
I'm Nervous to see Nathan out there again though :-\....although sit your ass down Olerud

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #398 on: October 6, 2004, 11:26 PM »
I'm Nervous to see Nathan out there again though :-\...
:'(

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #399 on: October 6, 2004, 11:31 PM »
Nice job Grady Little >:(  And now...we'll hear from the Yankee "fans" ::)

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: October 7, 2004, 02:14 AM »
A-Rod is the king!

As for the Angels, I smell a sweep.  The Sox are looking scary right now.  Damn shame.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: October 7, 2004, 08:06 AM »
Going on 3 1/2 hours of sleep with a bid due this afternoon is going to be hell, but it was all worth it.  Stayed up until late last night this morning and watch a great game.  The Angels look tired but they never gave up and you have to respect that.  This Sox team is the best and most balanced team I've seen - from starting pitching, offense, defense and the bullpen, they got it.  And did anyone really doubt Petey would go out and pitch a ****** game?  He always steps it up in the post season.

Go Red Sox!!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #402 on: October 7, 2004, 09:03 AM »
Yeah even if the Twins do get by the Yankees, I think the Sox are so good all the way around that they have to be the favorites in the AL.  I like their chances versus NY too, I think the Yankees trading for and signing A-Rod instead of going after a pitcher or two will bite them in the ass

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 7, 2004, 06:22 PM »
As 2004 JediDefender Fantasy Baseball Champion, I would like to state for the record that I had no idea that Grady Little was managing the Twins until I saw Joe Nathan come out for his 3rd inning of work.  Thanks Grady!!

Go Yanks!!
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #404 on: October 7, 2004, 06:35 PM »
What?  The Angels lost again?!  No way.  I don't believe you Mikey.  My boys wouldn't do that to me...   >:(

I do have to nitpick the **** out of that home plate ump last night though.  In my entire history of watching baseball, I've seen only one game (not even with the Dodgers or Angels) where I think the strike zone was called/not called so unfairly.  I'd say at least 3 of the Sox first 4 runs came on hits by batters that had technically (by any other ump) already struck out.  Pretty bad.  Really bad, actually.  OK, horrible.

But I still think the Halos can bounce back.  They've always had that "never say die" attitude, so I'm not throwing in the towel quite yet.  If they can just win Game 3 in Boston tomorrow, I think the stigma of "the curse" may start sneaking into the Sox players head's again, and may get them mentally off their game just a little.  Plus, their two dominant pitchers will/should be out of action the next couple games, so we should have a much better shot against Bronson Arroyo and Tim Wakefield.  That's assuming they don't get desparate and bump Schilling up to Game 4.  Granted the formidable Sox lineup will still be there, but I think the Angels bats will at least be able to contend with them now.

Still not hoping for too much out of the Dodgers though, so any wins in the Card's series would just be icing on the cake of a surprisingly decent (if not overachieving) season.  But who knows...  I've seen stranger things happen. (Lakers/Pistons, anyone?  :P)

Crushing blow to the Twinks last night though, as further evidenced by the posts above.  Had victory snatched right outta your hands.  Ugh.  That one may really come back to haunt you.   :-\

Looks like Jim's Bravos might be heading for more postseason disaster as well.  Got handled by Oswalt pretty well, though Hampton didn't do such a bad job himself.  2-1 going into the ninth...
« Last Edit: October 7, 2004, 06:38 PM by JediMAC »