Author Topic: MLB 2004  (Read 117636 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: It's Outta Here! The JD Official 2004 Baseball Thread
« Reply #420 on: October 8, 2004, 10:58 PM »
Good thing I watched the Debate instead of the Twins ::)  Win tomorrow and hope Radke shows up for Game 5 ::) ::)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #421 on: October 8, 2004, 11:04 PM »
Good thing I watched the Debate instead of the Twins ::)  Win tomorrow and hope Radke shows up for Game 5 ::) ::)

:'(

It's all up to Johan to keep us in it... and if it isn't in the cards for us this year, at least we won one game and didn't get swept.

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: October 9, 2004, 07:21 AM »
On to the ALCS!  Perfect situation - four days of rest, Schilling and Pedro in Games 1 & 2 and 6 & 7 if necessary.  Honestly I don't care who they face, I just Twins - Yankees to go to five games.  Going through New York to get to the Fall Classic would be nice, but if it's the Twins, then so be it.

Common sense isn't so common

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: October 9, 2004, 12:33 PM »

I'll take Vazquez fresh over Johan on 3 days rest.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #424 on: October 9, 2004, 01:46 PM »
Yeah Vazquez has been a stud the second half of the season...I'd take the real Cy Young long dead  over Vazquez right now

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: October 9, 2004, 02:03 PM »
Yeah Vazquez has been a stud the second half of the season...I'd take the real Cy Young long dead  over Vazquez right now

Johan couldn't save your fantasy baseball team from my fantasy team, and he can't save your real life team from my real life team either.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: October 9, 2004, 11:38 PM »

Later Twinkies.

Johan Santana and Brad Radke quickly learned that they are not Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling.

Bring on the Red Sox.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #427 on: October 9, 2004, 11:40 PM »

Later Twinkies.

Johan Santana and Brad Radke quickly learned that they are not Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling.

Bring on the Red Sox.
Radke isn't but the Yankees scored how many runs on Santana?   And what's their payroll?  I'll be cheering for the Red Sox from here on out...go Sox!

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: October 10, 2004, 12:10 AM »

Later Twinkies.

Bring on the Red Sox.
Radke isn't but the Yankees scored how many runs on Santana?   And what's their payroll?  I'll be cheering for the Red Sox from here on out...go Sox!

Don't even start in with the payroll, if you're an owner that's not willing to get out there and spend money to compete with payrolls with the Mets, Red Sox, and Yankees, then don't complain when your team loses.  If you're not going to do it right, then why own a team at all? 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #429 on: October 10, 2004, 01:37 AM »
Once again, the Yankee fans are like, "We're so great."   ::)

You lost game 1.
You BARELY squeaked out game 2 (in extra innings).
You won game 3.
You rallied to win game 4 (again, in extra innings).

You got lucky to get by us, and you'll be EXTREMELY lucky to get by Boston the way they are playing right now.

I won't get into he payroll stuff as it's been hashed out over and over, but some teams only get 3mil a year for TV deals while others get 10x that much.  That's just the way it is.   :(

Go Red Sox!   :P

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: October 10, 2004, 02:07 AM »
I think it was a good series.  Two extra inning games, and it went to 4 out of a possible 5.

As for the Red Sox, just let the teams play and we'll see who wins.  The Yanks have been pretty hot against the Red Sox lately, and Pedro hasn't been anywhere near as dominant against the Yanks as he was back in '99.  Schilling is another story entirely.  The guy's a horse, pure and simple, but he's also facing Mussina who's been pretty hot recently.  We just have to see how it plays out.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #431 on: October 10, 2004, 09:58 AM »

Later Twinkies.

Bring on the Red Sox.

Don't even start in with the payroll, if you're an owner that's not willing to get out there and spend money to compete with payrolls with the Mets, Red Sox, and Yankees, then don't complain when your team loses.  If you're not going to do it right, then why own a team at all? 
So Pohlad (the Twins owner) is supposed to lose money to try and play on an even field with the Yankees and Red Sox?  Its a testament to their farm system and scouting departments that they are even in the playoffs and not some Milwaukee or Tampa Bay whose franchises are both poor and have horrible front offices.    The economics of baseball while better than they were after the threatened lockout are still way out of whack and it still sucks for teams that will never have a chance to buy a World Series title ::)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: October 10, 2004, 11:35 AM »
I may be mistaken, but I think Pohlad is THE richest owner in baseball.  What he could do is follow the Yankees lead and try to form his own regional Sports cable channel.  Carry the bulk of the Twins games, the T-Wolves and the Wild when they come back.  A move like that will increase the team's revenues and then he could put more of that money out on the field.  That is the real future of baseball from an economic standpoint.

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #433 on: October 10, 2004, 11:47 AM »
He did try that this year, failed miserably because he wanted to charge the local Cable franchises the same rate the Yankees are charging in New York, something like $4 per customer per month for the year

The cable companies said get bent and the Twins weren't on TV for the first week or so of the season.  He had to ditch it in favor of going back to FoxSports because people here were Pissed Off the games weren't on TV and there was lots of ill will for him.  None of the Gopher basketball games were on.  The Wild and Wolves refused to join them and stayed on FOXSports so why would the Cable Companies want to pick up an inferior station?

I'm not saying he's not a rich bastard, he's just frugal to the point that he'll only lose so much money on the team every year and what suffers is the payroll.  Doesn't help they play in a **** hole stadium too
« Last Edit: October 10, 2004, 11:51 AM by OCB »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: October 10, 2004, 03:13 PM »
I hear ya.  Steinbrenner was smart in the way he went about putting YES together.  He owns the Yanks, and had a stake in the Nets at the time, too.  He also locked up the Devils once their current TV deal is up, and also looked into getting some other programming like Manchester United soccer.

If Pohlad wants to make a Twins focused network a reality, then he would try to lock up the T-wolves and Wild as well as some college teams to make it happen.  YES has proven successful, and so has NESN for the Red Sox.  I think it's pretty much inevitable that baseball owners are gonna go this route.

There will definitely be growing pains for baseball teams to do this.  YES wasn't carried on Cablevision in the NY area for a long time.  That wound up affecting about 6 million households.  Finally, the two parties came to an agreement since so many fans were incensed that they couldn't see the games.

Feedback