Author Topic: MLB 2004  (Read 117619 times)

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
Re: It's Outta Here! The JD Official 2004 Baseball Thread
« Reply #660 on: December 21, 2004, 05:17 PM »
The Angels sign Orlando Cabrera to a 4-year deal.  They called his agent and 8 hours later the deal was done.  They also did not offer arbitration to David Eckstein.

The Big Unit deal is in the hands of the commish now, so it should be done soon.  Word around LA is that Vasquez is gonna get shipped to the White Sox for Paul Konerko.  Dodgers are going after JD Drew, Derek Lowe and others.

Beltran is meeting w/ Steinbrenner today.

As for the A's, I'm as clueless as the next guy.  Mulder was signed through next year w/ an option for '06.  I just see no reason why they would get rid of him.  Hudson was a no-brainer since they weren't going to re-sign him.  Obviously they aren't going to make a move at any of the free agents.  That's not their style. 

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: December 22, 2004, 01:57 AM »
Dodgers pull out of proposed 3-team deal that would have sent Big Unit to the Bronx.  I really hate the Dodgers.  I love how Frank McCourt called the Yanks and D'Backs and told them not to worry, that the deal would get done.  If I'm a GM, I don't want anything to do with the Dodgers.  Who's gonna do business w/ these guys now?  One way or another, Unit will end up in pinstripes.  I'm guessing another team like the White Sox will get involved now.

Looks like they Dodgers have agreed to terms w/ JD Drew (ESPN reporting it.) 

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: December 22, 2004, 05:02 PM »
If this all does come to pass, the Yanks adding Unit, Beltran, and Pavano is HUGE especially since the Sox lost Pedro.  Even though they got Renteria, he does not scare me any more than Nomar did at SS.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: December 22, 2004, 05:23 PM »
Yep, Dressel if you guys can get Beltran, Pavano, and Big Unit I don't see how the Yankees can lose.  Unless your team falls to injuries.  Very, very impressive. 

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: December 22, 2004, 11:03 PM »
I just don't get it.  What's their plan here?  What, sign Beltran?

The Cubs you mean?  Or some other team?   As far as the Cubs go supposedly if they trade Sosa to another team they will offer Beltran a contract.  But they still have to pay Sosa's contract.  So, I don't know why it makes a difference if they trade him or not.  They still have to pay it regardless.   

I was talking about Oakland.  I don't know why they would trade Mulder who was signed through '06.  They let Giambi walk to tie up Zito and Mulder in contracts, then they let Tejada go to Baltimore, and then FINALLY decided to pay an offensive player in Eric Chavez.  Then, I can see they were going to have to pay Hudson big bucks so they let him go to Atlanta, but then traded Mulder for a bunch of prospects who may never pan out.  The whole strategy seems retarded.  Look at them now, they've got a big time 3rd baseman in Chavez and 1 good starter in Barry Zito.  They are not going to compete this year with Anaheim and Seattle both improving.  Anaheim was good and now they added Finley, Seattle added Beltre and Sexson and are going to be offensive BEHEMOTHS when you add that to Suzuki and Boone.

Oakland's plan here?  They threw up a white flag.

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: December 23, 2004, 01:53 AM »
I disagree that Oakland threw up the white flag.  Bottom line is that they don't have the funds and they show that year in and year out.  We all knew Hudson was a goner, but Mulder too?  Still not sure about that one.  And the A's didn't just get prospects for Mulder.  They got Haren who spot-started for the Cards before going to the pen for the playoffs and Calero who was in the pen all year.  They just got younger and cheaper guys in return, but not all are prospects.  I also disagree about Seattle being offensive behemoths.  Sexson is coming off majorshoulder surgery.  Everyone is wondering if Beltre will be a 1-hit wonder.  Boone's production has dropped.  Edgar has retired.  They aren't that much better if you ask me.  The Angels clearly are the class of the division and the reason why?  They have pitching.  Seattle's starting rotation is weak.  Their ace?  Jamie Moyer.  I rest my case there.  The Mariners are basically the new Texas Rangers, a team that can score 12 runs a nite but gives up 13 (and I'm referring to the Rangers teams that had Juan Gone, Pudge, Raf, etc. not the new younger squad.)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 01:55 AM by Holographic Elvis »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #666 on: December 23, 2004, 10:21 AM »
Agreed...and I do think the Angels are better as well.  What still torques me off is that there are basically 10 teams doing all of the spending and signing.  I don't see how that is good for the game

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: December 23, 2004, 06:38 PM »
Well something finally positive out of Boston.  Varitek signed a 4 yr 40 million deal.  Still wont make up for some of the bad pitching signings we have had ::) Clement is the biggest disappointing signing this season.  8.5 million a year for a pitcher with a losing record ???

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #668 on: December 23, 2004, 06:46 PM »
I was glad to see the Dodgers pull out of that mega 3-team deal involving Randy Johnson, despite how bad it pissed the Yanks and D-backs off.  We were getting screwed in that thing.  Glad to see the Dodgers pick up JD Drew, and look like they're still showing signs of life.  We've actually get a pretty decent offensive lineup now, we're just a little iffy on the starting pitching and the catcher's spot is a HUGE glaring hole right now.

Sad to see the Halos dump Eckstein last week too (though I'm sure Scott was thrilled).  Hopefully he winds up on the Twins, for Scott to enjoy for the next several years!   :-*  Sadly, one by one, a lot of my longtime Angels are disappearing, like Glaus, Percival, Eckstein...  Not that they've been bad moves, or that they haven't been replaced with other suitable players - just sad.  Still wish we'd kept Glaus though.  That hurt.

Sounds like Arizona's completely pulled the Big Unit off the table for good now.  Poor Steinbrenner...   8)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: December 23, 2004, 06:59 PM »
Glad to see the Dodgers pick up JD Drew, and look like they're still showing signs of life.  We've actually get a pretty decent offensive lineup now, we're just a little iffy on the starting pitching and the catcher's spot is a HUGE glaring hole right now.

No way.  You lost Beltre, last year's NL MVP if not for Bonds' popularity, and you lost LoDuca and Finley.  You got JD Drew back to add to the regressing Shawn Green, and then there' s Milton Bradley, perhaps the most overrated offensive player in baseball.  Look at his career stats, the guy has not had a good season yet.  The Dodgers will be the worst hitting team in their division with the D'Backs.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: December 23, 2004, 07:02 PM »
I disagree that Oakland threw up the white flag.  Bottom line is that they don't have the funds and they show that year in and year out.  We all knew Hudson was a goner, but Mulder too?  Still not sure about that one. 

Their pitching staff was clearly their strong point.  Now it's gone.  And Mulder was dealt for no reason.  They surrendered.

They got Haren who spot-started for the Cards before going to the pen for the playoffs and Calero who was in the pen all year. 

They got who?

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: December 24, 2004, 03:30 PM »
I disagree that Oakland threw up the white flag.  Bottom line is that they don't have the funds and they show that year in and year out.  We all knew Hudson was a goner, but Mulder too?  Still not sure about that one. 

Their pitching staff was clearly their strong point.  Now it's gone.  And Mulder was dealt for no reason.  They surrendered.

They got Haren who spot-started for the Cards before going to the pen for the playoffs and Calero who was in the pen all year. 

They got who?

Sorry dude.  They didn't "surrender."  This organization has no money and they show that each and every year.  Maybe there's more to the Mulder deal than we know (injury perhaps?) 

You seem like such a smart baseball guy.  I figured you'd know those names.

Read:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=bayless/041223
« Last Edit: December 24, 2004, 03:39 PM by Holographic Elvis »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: December 25, 2004, 04:42 PM »
I know the names, I just think they're non-impact players.  Especially in the wake of losing Tim Hudson, Mark Mulder being dealt leaves only Barry Zito, the worst of what was their 3 big starters.  Let's just say you won't see who they got in return for Mulder on anyone's fantasy team next year.  And when Oakland has such little offense to start with (they lost Dye too), they relied fairly heavily on their pitching.  Anaheim is going to win the division, and Seattle will finish ahead of Oakland as well.  Probably Texas too.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2004, 04:44 PM by Dressel Rebel »

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: December 26, 2004, 04:45 PM »
I know the names, I just think they're non-impact players.  Especially in the wake of losing Tim Hudson, Mark Mulder being dealt leaves only Barry Zito, the worst of what was their 3 big starters.  Let's just say you won't see who they got in return for Mulder on anyone's fantasy team next year.  And when Oakland has such little offense to start with (they lost Dye too), they relied fairly heavily on their pitching.  Anaheim is going to win the division, and Seattle will finish ahead of Oakland as well.  Probably Texas too.

Well I doubt Billy Beane had people's fantasy teams in mind when he made the deal.  My guess is he was focusing more on Oakland's tiny budget.  Dye isn't a huge loss because the guy missed so much time while in Oakland.  He wasn't worth bringing back.  Oakland's strength has always been pitching and clearly in the deals of Hudson and Mulder they focused on getting pitching in return (4 pitchers total in the deals.)  I think anyone would be dumb to pick against Anaheim now, but don't underestimate the A's.  The Mariners still have no pitching.

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: December 27, 2004, 08:22 PM »
Moving the two pitchers was a calculated risk brought about partly because of escalating salary/limited budget and fears they're breaking down -- drop 'em now while they still have trade value. The first reason was widely speculated and the second is an interpretation of what Beane said in a radio interview following the trades.

Here's an article with Schott from today's SF Chronicle. In it he explains why of the three, Zito was kept. "He's been healthy the whole time."