Author Topic: MLB 2004  (Read 117556 times)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: It's Outta Here! The JD Official 2004 Baseball Thread
« Reply #675 on: December 28, 2004, 01:55 PM »
Moving the two pitchers was a calculated risk brought about partly because of escalating salary/limited budget and fears they're breaking down -- drop 'em now while they still have trade value. The first reason was widely speculated and the second is an interpretation of what Beane said in a radio interview following the trades.

Here's an article with Schott from today's SF Chronicle. In it he explains why of the three, Zito was kept. "He's been healthy the whole time."

This basically amounts to a rebuilding process.  They are not going to compete with Texas or Anaheim this year, and at the rate Seattle is adding players, Oakland could finish last in the AL West this year.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: December 29, 2004, 12:15 AM »
I hesitate to call it a rebuilding; maybe just a re-model. They still have very good talent, though not widely known around the country. Like I said, it was a calculated risk. There's big expectations from the guys they're getting, not so much how each will fair as an individual, but how they'll work together. <insert "sum of the parts" cliche here> And there's plenty of time for more deals... and I don't mean deals to gut the roster even more.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #677 on: January 4, 2005, 01:29 AM »
Looks like the Yanks are gonna land The Unit after all since Selig OK'd the trade today, and that the Dodgers are still gonna unload Shawn Green to the D'Backs.  That bites.

But that doesn't bite nearly as bad as Angels owner Arte Moreno wanting to rename the team the "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim".  What the **** is that all about?!?  Absolutely the most idiotic thing I've ever heard.  Two entirely different cities in the same team's name?  Hell, they're even two different COUNTIES!  Orange County people HATE being associated with Los Angeles County.  Two totally different worlds, despite both being "SoCal".  Pisses me off somethin' fierce, dammit!  All for a few extra marketing bucks?  ****, please.  *******.  Makes me practically want to root AGAINST them...   >:(

Glad to see the city of Anaheim is sueing their stupid asses because of it.  Violates the terms of their lease with the city and it's stadium.

On a happier note, the HOF voting is tomorrow.  One of my all-time favorites - Wade Boggs - is up for election.  He better be freakin' unanimous.  No other new shoo-ins this year, so that should open the door for another deserving great - Ryne Sandberg - to get in there this year as well (after falling short last year).

One last note, my dad went golfing with HOF'er Robin Yount a couple weeks ago (they have common friends in AZ), and got me a cool customized autograph from him.   8)
« Last Edit: January 4, 2005, 01:30 AM by JediMAC »

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: January 4, 2005, 12:14 PM »
Yeah, that Anaheim name change is stupid.  The Chicago Bears almost had something like that happen to them.  Only a sponsor was going to link it's name with the Bears.  I can't remember how that was to be now?  Something like Chicago Bears Property of the Coca Cola Bottling Company.  That was not the ponsor but you get the idea.  The name was supposed to be tagged along with the Bears all the time.  I guess that fell through. 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #679 on: January 4, 2005, 02:08 PM »
It's official, Boggs and Sandberg.

Boggs, Sandberg are Hall choices

Congrats to the best 2B of all time finally getting his due.   ;D

Sutter was closer than ever with 67% of the vote, maybe next year relievers will start getting the nod as well?   :-\

Considering the whiffers on the ballot next year (Albert Belle, Will Clark, Gary Gaetti and Orel Hershiser) hopefully Goose or Sutter will get in next year... after that, in 2007 you start seeing some big names pop up (like Tony Gwynn, Cal Ripken and Mark McGwire) and they are running out of eligibility.

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #680 on: January 4, 2005, 02:12 PM »
It's official, Boggs and Sandberg.

Great news!  Glad to see Rhino make it too - just barely, by a measely 6 votes.  Phew!

Man, next year's gonna be wide open.  Have they ever had a year where nobody made it?  Doesn't seem like too many seriously deserving candidates to pick from in 2006.  Should be interesting.  Maybe a reliever or two finally...
« Last Edit: January 4, 2005, 02:15 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #681 on: January 4, 2005, 02:19 PM »
Man, next year's gonna be wide open.  Have they ever had a year where nobody made it? 

I think the last year with no one being voted in was in the 90s, about 10 years ago.  I think there was 2-3 guys with 65-70% of the vote, but none of them got in... 1996 maybe?

Hasn't happened for a while though...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #682 on: January 4, 2005, 02:21 PM »
Here's the final voting:

Player  Votes   %

Wade Boggs  474  91.9%  
 Ryne Sandberg  393  76.2%

-----------------------------------------
 Bruce Sutter  344  66.7%
 Jim Rice  307  59.5%
 "Goose" Gossage  285  55.2%
 Andre Dawson  270  52.3%
 Bert Blyleven  211  40.9%
 Lee Smith  200  38.8%
 Jack Morris  172  33.3%
 Tommy John  123  23.8%
 Steve Garvey  106  20.5%
 Alan Trammell   87  16.9%
 Dave Parker   65  12.6%
 Don Mattingly   59  11.4%
 Dave Concepcion   55  10.7%
 Dale Murphy   54  10.5%
 Willie McGee   26   5.0%
 Jim Abbott   13   2.5%
 Darryl Strawberry    6   1.2%   :P
 Jack McDowell    4   0.8%
 Chili Davis    3   0.6%
 Tom Candiotti    2   0.4%
 Jeff Montgomery    2   0.4%
 Tony Phillips    1   0.2%
 Terry Steinbach    1   0.2%
 Mark Langston    0   0.0%
 Otis Nixon    0   0.0%

Love seeing Daaaaryl garner all of 6 whopping votes.  Classic.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #683 on: January 4, 2005, 02:23 PM »
If you had a Vote who would you put on your Hall of Fame Ballot?

The complete ballot (x-first time eligible): x-Jim Abbott, Bert Blyleven, x-Wade Boggs, x-Tom Candiotti, Dave Concepcion, x-Chili Davis, Andre Dawson, Steve Garvey, Rich Gossage, Tommy John, x-Mark Langston, Don Mattingly, x-Jack McDowell, x-Willie McGee, x-Jeff Montgomery, Jack Morris, Dale Murphy, x-Otis Nixon, Dave Parker, x-Tony Phillips, Jim Rice, Ryne Sandberg, Lee Smith, x-Terry Steinbach, x-Darryl Strawberry, Bruce Sutter, Alan Trammell

Here's mine:

Bert Blyleven - 5th All Time in Strike Outs won a World Series, he deserves a spot
Jack Morris - Greatest Pitcher of His Era behind Ryan, won 2 rings, one of the best big game pitchers of all time, plus he completes the Saint Paul trio of Winfield, Molitor and him
Wade Boggs - The AL equivalent of Tony Gwynn, best pure hitter in his era, little less than Puck only due to his lack of rings and power
Ryne Sandberg - Again, best 2B of his era and maybe of any era, he'll get in eventually

Not making the cut:

Don Mattingly - Hrbek was a better 1st Baseman and Mattingly won all of the Gold Gloves, his bat was good but I just couldn't vote for him)
Andre Dawson How many average power hitters does the hall need?
Lee Smith - Pitched in the closer era and was never as dominant as Eck and heck as even Reardon, him getting in lets anyone in to Cooperstown
Alan Trammell Next year for Alan
Jim Rice See Andre Dawson and Lee Smith
Dave Parker See Jim Rice
Dale Murphy See Dave Parker

WHere's the love for Bert and Jack? >:(

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: January 4, 2005, 02:26 PM »
Where's the love for Otis Nixon? Not even a single vote??  ???

And how the hell does Dave Concepcion get more votes than Dale Murphy? Ridiculous.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: January 4, 2005, 04:01 PM »
As a Cubs fan I am glad one of my all time favorite players made it in.  It just pisses me off that he just barely squeaked by the third time when he should have been in the first ballot. 

So, out of all those players only 2 make it in?  Me thinks it's time to lighten up the rules a bit so more of these deserving players actually has a shot in hell of making the Hall. 

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: January 4, 2005, 06:48 PM »
When the Halos stadium was called "Edison International Field of Anaheim", what did everyone call it?  Edison Field.  The Angels will be the "Los Angeles Angels" because no one is going to tag on the "of Anaheim" part.  Personally, I think the move is pure genious.  Moreno has committed himself to being an owner who 1) keeps the payroll high and 2) keeps ticket prices down.  In order to keep doing those 2 things, the team had to explore alternate revenue sources.  Labeling the team "Anaheim" pidgeon holes it as a small market team associated w/ 3 million people.  Attaching "Los Angeles" associates the team w/ the greater Los Angeles area and 13 million people.  The Angels TV ratings went up significantly last season and this move will allow the Angels to get more money out of advertisers.  Right now, the Angels bring in less broadcast money than the Brewers and Pirates.  WTF?  This is a brilliant long-term move and if people think it's dumb, then don't go to games for dirt cheap.  Be thankful your team doesn't have to raise ticket prices. 

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #687 on: January 4, 2005, 07:11 PM »
Well, I don't think it's "dumb", at least not in the financial sense.  I understand why he's doing it and all, and yeah, it'll probably help bring in some more coin to keep the payroll up and the ticket prices down (which is obviously great).

I just think it's wrong 'cause the Angels are not IN Los Angeles.  They're not even in L.A. County.  And like I mentioned earlier, most OC'ers HATE being associated with L.A. in any way, especially in something as publicly renowned as this.  That's where my biggest beef comes from anyway.  Always hated it when the Rams were known as the L.A. Rams.  Don't like sharing my teams with the neighbors up to the north/west, even though I'm one of them myself now...

They should just go back to "California Angels".  That'd be fine with me, and would broaden their audience a bit, I'm sure.  Oh well...

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: January 4, 2005, 11:30 PM »
Despite beating the Giants in the WS, the Angels were lacking that "something" that could rile me up. But now... Now I have two Los Angeles baseball teams to boo.

Vlaaaad-meer. Vlaaaad-meer.

Pitchers and catchers report in 6 weeks, Johnson out of the NL, the Dodgers falling faster than Skylab... I'm getting all goose pimply.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: January 5, 2005, 03:48 PM »
Well sure I understand the financial part is not dumb.  LOL!  Speaking of finances.  Have you all heard the offers for Carlos Beltran? 

Mets - 6-7 years possibly 8 years over $100-119 million
Astros and Cubs 5-6 years a little over $90 million

Yankees have not offered...yet.