Author Topic: NFL Offseason 2004  (Read 50959 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: NFL Offseason '04
« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2004, 11:03 PM »
Good thing we haven't drafted here or in my real world Fantasy leagues too.  Ricky is one weird dude

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 26, 2004, 07:05 PM »
Ricky Williams retires from football (and takes the Dolphins Super Bowl hopes with him.)

The Pats repeating as division champs just got a hell of a lot easier.  ;D

Common sense isn't so common

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2004, 02:00 PM »
Whoop-Dee-Doo!  Training Camp starts today!!!!!

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: NFL Preseason '04
« Reply #93 on: July 27, 2004, 04:04 PM »
Hey Scott, did the Vikings really sign that one wrestler?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #94 on: July 27, 2004, 04:10 PM »
Yeah that's the rumor going around right now, should be later today

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 27, 2004, 07:55 PM »
Yeah, they've signed him!  I have to admit I'm genuinely surprised.  But I just saw a satellite feed of him being interviewed about things.  Apparently he hasn't been training much over the past month, since he's suffering from a groin pull.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #96 on: July 27, 2004, 08:10 PM »
He was in a motorcycle accident and got banged up pretty bad which really hurt his workouts

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 5, 2004, 10:20 AM »
wow I wanted the Cowboys to have a new QB, but I was hoping it would be a little less Dramatic.

IF IF IF it is a drug related reason then I applaud the Jerry and Bill for finally having the guts (as an owner and coach not them personally) to do something like cut the starting QB.

Makes me feel a little better about the Eddie George signing.  After Vinnie gets hurt in game 3, Drew Henson is gonna have to have somebody to hand it off to.

I'm still optimistic about the season, but guarded optimism...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #98 on: August 5, 2004, 10:23 AM »
I just laugh at the Stupidity of Jerry Jones in drafting Q Carter in the first place...in the second round no less.  He was easily the worst draft pick of that draft and one that everyone in the world said the Cowboys reached about 3 rounds too high on...

Cowboys aren't making the Playoffs anyway so it matters little, I'll say their D may get them close but with Vinny or Hutchinson or a Baseball Player, no way in hell are they gonna make it

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 5, 2004, 11:45 AM »
Well.  Carter is swearing to anyone who will listen that he's never done cocaine - and of course, the team isn't allowed to comment....  more details to come I'm sure....

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #100 on: August 5, 2004, 01:24 PM »
Bummed to see the Raiders finally release Tim Brown yesterday too, after 16 seasons with the team.  Sounds like rumors have him heading to Tampa Bay or Dallas, in an effort to grab one more TD pass for the magic #100.

He was hoping to stay in Oakland as the #3 option behind Porter and Rice, but apparently the coaches told him that wasn't going to happen, and that they wanted a couple of the "kids" to get a chance in there.  Tim didn't want to play such limited downs, so he said it's time to go.  Sounded like a fairly amicable parting though, fortunately.  He was Mr. Raider, and the last holdout from their Los Angeles playing days...

As for Q, the reports I've been hearing said he was already at a drug rehab center sometime in the past 18 months.  Didn't say for what though...

I also heard that with respect to Bob Marley's Ricky Williams situation, the NFL has a policy that if you come back within one year of a positive drug test, you'll be punished.  But after that, it sounds like you might be in the clear.  So maybe Ricky's just gonna sit this season out under the guise of retirement, smoke a big ol' bunch o' weed as he walks the earth, and then maybe come back to the NFL for the 2005/06 campaign.  I just highly doubt this is gonna wind up being a permanent retirement.  He'll need to eventually make some more coin to buy some more reefer, after all...

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 5, 2004, 01:36 PM »

(snip)...He'll need to eventually make some more coin to buy some more reefer, after all...

The wacky tabacky ain't that expensive, Matt.  If broke ass college kids can afford it, then me thinks Ricky won't have any problems.  Plus he probably gets free hand outs anyway.  Who wouldn't want to rip a few bong hits with him?  ;)

Quick question...Will this be the football thread once the season starts or is another one going to be created?  It's almost time to start making preseason picks.  Hopefully my football picks are better than my baseball ones  ::)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #102 on: August 5, 2004, 01:44 PM »
True dat.  But I was thinking more along the lines of a healthy lifelong supply of ganja for him though...   ;)

And yes, I think this thread will just become our "Official NFL Thread" when the season opens, so fire away with your picks Mikey, if you dare...  'Cause you never know what other dumbasses out there are gonna wind up retiring, getting suspended, or just blowing out their knee during the remainder of the preseason.
« Last Edit: August 5, 2004, 01:44 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 5, 2004, 02:10 PM »
Well I already have my Super Bowl winner (three guesses who) but division winners I'm still thinking about.  Probably won't do it until right before the season starts, for reasons you already stated, among others.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 5, 2004, 03:16 PM »
right on all counts...but tell me this how many quarter bags could Ricky's signing bonus buy?

As far as picks go, I think we should work some pre-season picks less of awho will win/who won't" and more of an injury predictions.  Like how many starting QB's don't get to start the regular season due to injury, you could almost go down the list of the "skilled" positions and set the over and under.  

But like y'all said  I don't want to make predictions till we know who else is going to retire, smoke dope, get hurt or become a cap casualty.