Author Topic: NFL Offseason 2004  (Read 51046 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: NFL Offseason '04
« Reply #75 on: June 8, 2004, 12:51 AM »
Uh-oh.  Parcells goofs.

"You've got to keep an eye on those two, because they're going to try to get the upper hand," Parcells said about quarterbacks coach Sean Payton and defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer. "Mike wants the defense to do well, and Sean, he's going to have a few ... no disrespect for the Orientals, but what we call Jap plays. OK. Surprise things."

Bummer seeing my Rams finally part ways with Warner.  Those were a few of the greatest offensive years in NFL history watching him pass and Marshall run.  What a tandem.  Still sucks that they only won 1 Super Bowl through their great run (shut up Mikey!  >:()  I've been holding out hope that the Rams would put him back in the starting role for one last run at the glory days of old.  When that wasn't going to work out, I was hoping my Raiders would pick him up, but they went with assturd Kerry Collins instead, while the Giants scored Warner.  Wonder what the means for dumbass Eli out there in N.Y.  Hopefully Warner sticks that punk kid's ass on the bench for a solid season or two!   8)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 8, 2004, 08:06 AM »

Bummer seeing my Rams finally part ways with Warner.  Those were a few of the greatest offensive years in NFL history watching him pass and Marshall run.  What a tandem.  Still sucks that they only won 1 Super Bowl through their great run (shut up Mikey!  >:()  

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :P

St. Louis will not win another SB with dumb **** Martz coaching.  Common sense left with Vermeil.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2004, 10:47 AM »
Damn, sounds like the Pack signed Couch which I was hoping they wouldn't be able to get done.  I think he's played in a crap system in Cleveland and he'll be a good fit for them once Favre finally gets hurt or retires >:(

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2004, 04:02 PM »
Brock Lesnar and the NFL

I guarantee the Vikes will bring him to Camp this summer...Imagine the number of Jersey sales Lesnar would bring into a team

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2004, 04:50 PM »
From reading the article, I'd be surprised if the guy could make an NFL practice squad.  He hasn't got any NCAA football experience, and hasn't played since High School.  It seems like kind of a longshot to me.  He could always go for the CFL or the Arena League.  I'm definitely surprised he didn't try to get on any of the NFL Europe rosters.  Add in the motorcycle accident injuries, and it doesn't look good to me.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2004, 04:53 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2004, 11:10 PM »
He lives here in the cities and is on the local Sports radio Morning show about once a month.  That is where he first announced this and he said that he wanted to play for the Vikes.  I think in marketing dollars alone he would be worth a practice squad roster spot.  I realize he has no real football skills but he also is one of the most insanely agile and strong men I think I have ever seen of his size.  With a year of training and playing I really think he could do something in the NFL.  

I'd like to see them at least give him a shot

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2004, 11:43 PM »
I know what you're saying.  But I think owners wouldn't necessarily be into him from a marketing standpoint.  I definitely think they would catch a lot of flack from their football people.  Especially since in this era of NFL parity, almost any team can really compete for the Vince Lombardi trophy.

I definitely think the guy has serious athletic ability.  He was an NCAA wrestling national champ, right?  But his absence from any kind of organized football since high school is a huge strike against him.  I think a route like the Arena league, the CFL or NFL Europe would be the most likely scenario for him before he plays a single down in the NFL.  Could he get signed and get invited to an NFL training camp?  Possibly, but I would be really surprised to see him make any team's roster.

Now, upon looking at the article, I'm even more unsure about the guy.  He'd most likely play DE.  Honestly, I think that may be more of a skill position than someone like him is ready for.  He would really need to work on his footwork in a big way.  There's also a lot more to that position than just pass rushing.  It's about reading the offense, and trying to figure out pass versus run.  I definitely don't think he'd be a serious pass rush threat to top flight O linemen like Runyon, Pace, Turley or Ogden.  I think if he were lighter and faster, he might have more options in playing LB, but he'd need to shed like 30 odd pounds for that.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2004, 11:54 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2004, 12:14 PM »
I know what you're saying.  But I think owners wouldn't necessarily be into him from a marketing standpoint.  I definitely think they would catch a lot of flack from their football people.  Especially since in this era of NFL parity, almost any team can really compete for the Vince Lombardi trophy.

I definitely think the guy has serious athletic ability.  He was an NCAA wrestling national champ, right?  But his absence from any kind of organized football since high school is a huge strike against him.  I think a route like the Arena league, the CFL or NFL Europe would be the most likely scenario for him before he plays a single down in the NFL.  Could he get signed and get invited to an NFL training camp?  Possibly, but I would be really surprised to see him make any team's roster.

As Scott said, I'd bet he'll end up AT LEAST on the Vikings Practice Squad.

Lesnar:
- Former NCAA Champion and University of Minnesota Alumni
- Constant guest on local Minnesota Spots Talk Radio station

He guy has a HUGE following here for whatever reason.  I'd compare this to when Jordan wanted to play baseball.  The White Sox were basically forced to give this Jordan a minor league tryout contract or else theyd have to face the wrath of the home-town fans.

I agree with ya that he might not make it in the NFL, and that MOST teams wouldn't even give the guy a look, publicity or not, but here in MN it's a bit of a differnt story.  If the Vikings don't give this guy at least a try-out, Mike Tice will be answering questions from the local media about it for the rest of the year.  Lesnar's popularity here (MN) is the deciding factor.

One thing you have to take into account is Minnesotan's LOVE of their "own".  If you are from here, you are pretty much a lock to be loved here...

Jeff

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2004, 12:20 PM »
Also note the NFL increased Practice Squad sizes this year from 5 to 8.  I really think they'll give him a shot

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2004, 01:31 PM »
Teams invite like a hundred guys to camp.  I think it's a fair bet that he might get invited.  Thing is, he's going to be competing for a roster spot against guys who played Division 1 ball and were undrafted this year, veterans who've been cut by their teams, etc.  In terms of football knowledge and skills, he's definitely behind in this race.  Besides, doesn Minnesota have enough Prima Donnas in Randy Moss alone?

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2004, 01:32 PM »
Yeah probably...it will be an interesting summer

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2004, 02:08 PM »
Only two more weeks until training camp.

My dad picked up a few tickets the other day at work, so it looks like we'll be headed to see the Vikes and the Chiefs Practice Scrimmage in August...

Wonder how the Purple will fair having made no major changes in the Defense other than a couple draft picks and a new Def Coordinator... :(  

Still time to work something out though.  A few goofy Free Agents left out there to sign during camp, right?

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2004, 01:52 PM »
Only two more weeks until training camp.

And only 3 weeks until the Hall of Fame game, the kickoff for the season!

[size=12]Are you ready for some football?!?![/size]

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2004, 05:17 PM »
A bittersweet day for Cowboys fans:

URL TextReady For Eddie; Cowboys Sign RB

URL TextBack Surgery To Sideline Woodson

I wasn't thrilled about the George signing early on--I don't think we have any use for a 3.3 ypc back. But, it sounds like he'll split time with Jones and I want to see why Parcells took Jones over Jackson. We could have taken Jackson and we passed on him, so that must mean Coach thinks Jones has something.

Losing Woodson sucks! At least it's not for the season, but DAMN! It's ironic, but maybe it will help him keep healthy this season by missing camp. He IS after all, an old man, so if he's ready to play by the 3rd or fourth game, then we'll get by. But that means we move Williams over to the strong side and promote Dixon, who is a rather unknown commodity.

Maybe we can find a cap casualty after the first or second cut...

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2004, 06:34 PM »
Ricky Williams retires from football (and takes the Dolphins Super Bowl hopes with him.)