Author Topic: Modular Cloud City Playset  (Read 39621 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: !!LEVEL ONE COMPLETED!! Modular Cloud City
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2004, 04:42 PM »
What head did you use for the Ice Cream Maker guy?  It looks great!!

:P

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2004, 07:12 PM »
Breathtaking, as always Bobb.  All the small details that most customizers would probably overlook (or just wouldn't be able to do themselves) make it just outstanding.  God, I wish I could just buy your stuff at Toys R Us.  I'd pay top dollar for the kind of "playsets" you put together.  Someday I'm gonna win the lottery, and when I do, I'm gonna find a suitable enough commission to persuade you to to make a duplicate version of all your custom projects!   8)

It's close to 2 1/2 feet wide by 1 1/2 feet long. So, yeah, it's on the large side. Each level loses a bit of that "fin" look on the front, so that the third (top) level is a circle with a 1-foot diameter. Then, off the back of the structure, I'll add the gantry, which will be another two feet long or so.

The second level will hold the torture room, the cell, and the junk room/boiler room. Then the top, circular piece will be the Carbon Freezing Chamber. Off the back, Luke and Vader wil be able to duel through the control room with the big window, out onto the gantry.

Looking very much forward to seeing all the rest of this...  Now get to work Bobb!   :-*

P.S.  Nice ass kissing of Scott with the ICMG.   ;)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 07:12 PM by JediMAC »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2004, 11:43 AM »
Hey, ICMG. Sweet.  8)

Offline The Collector

• Youngling
  • Behold! I am The Collector!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2004, 01:53 PM »
You're sick! That rawkes!

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2004, 03:49 PM »
What can possibly be said that hasn't been said by everyone else already?

Just amazing.  Excellent work Muftak.  Please send your resume and some sample photos into Hasbro, and tell them you can provide a LOT of references if they require!   ;)

I don't know if I can wait for the next level now.  What's your ETA on that one?

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2004, 09:58 PM »
Once again, thanks to all. And wow--the fornt page? Thanks, Scott! (Job well done, ICMG. ;) )

Chewie, the ICMG head--and gloved hands-- are from one of those "Elite Forces" (I think) figures you can find at TRU, I added the burns and the stache.

Snively, it really depends on how things go around here--I'm getting married in May, so I'll have to try to fit it in to the chaos that I find coming to a head right now.

But I haven't stopped completely, and don't plan to. I'm currently building Han's torture rack, and things are looking good. Hopefully it won't be nine months till I'm done with level 2!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2004, 05:58 AM »
Very cool news, and you deserved some publicity on it Bobb, so kudos.  I'm really REALLY curious to see what (if any) way you'll incorporate Hasbro's Freeze Chamber set.

I really enjoyed it, and still am figuring a way to make a bigger gantry thing that just snaps on over its current one.  The only thing that set lacked was it being able to hold more figures I thought.

Cool work, and the push light has me really scheming.  nothing I'lld o any time soon, but it's inspiring nonetheless man.  Good work and improvisation for a feature that really gives your set a nice look when displayed.  The light is very cool.

BTW I still think the neatest thing is the sculpture.  No matter how you made it, or were given the idea, that's funny, and really accurate.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2004, 12:22 AM »
Muftak, thanks for the reference on the ICMG - I plan on making my own very soon.

Like everyone else said, great job, and I think it's great that the staff posted it on the main page - another reason why this is in my opinion, the best bunch of guys at any Star Wars site on the web - staff and forum members included.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2004, 06:35 PM »
I'm really REALLY curious to see what (if any) way you'll incorporate Hasbro's Freeze Chamber set.

I really enjoyed it, and still am figuring a way to make a bigger gantry thing that just snaps on over its current one.  The only thing that set lacked was it being able to hold more figures I thought.

I first sketched an idea for a Bespin display back in 2000 (long before I'd ever even heard of NiubNiub, I think I'd seen StarConstrux by then but there was no clue given as to how to go about building something like that) but I dropped the idea once I heard the Hasbro Freeze Chamber was going to be made. It was great for what it was, and I've really enjoyed a nice little display on it.

That said, it is just too miniaturized to work in my playset, and I'm just going to have to scratch build my own. I did pick up two spares back when the fan club clearanced 'em,  but other than chopping out the steps from them for my walkways, I've never figured out how to use them.

On the Death Star I used the Detention Block pretty much as a whole, and on my upcoming Endor Playset I intend to use the POTF2 Bunker, but I don't think the Freeze Chamber is going to make the cut, except as fodder for set dressing.  :( Too bad, because I've always really liked it.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2004, 11:05 PM »
That said, it is just too miniaturized to work in my playset, and I'm just going to have to scratch build my own. I did pick up two spares back when the fan club clearanced 'em,  but other than chopping out the steps from them for my walkways, I've never figured out how to use them.

Oooohhh, can't wait to see that done. Are you going to be adding lights and stuff too?

Offline DARKLORD

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2004, 12:22 AM »
OH- MY-GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Muftak... I've seen a LOT of custom-built STAR WARS dioramas out there.

And I've even seen many that I considered to be above and beyond the ordinary.

But I must say, my friend, in this old city boy's opinion, THIS IS FAR AND AWAY THE BEST DIORAMA / PLAYSET that I have EVER SEEN... PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!

If Hasbro EVER even DREAMED of creating something like this, they'd make a FORTUNE!!!!

This is the "Death Star Space Station" playset of the custom world!!!!!

You ought to have your hands insured for a million bucks with the type of MAGIC they're capable of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations, my friend. You should be VERY PROUD!!!!

Very Best Regards,

Roberto DARKLORD Williams

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2004, 01:13 AM »

« Last Edit: January 4, 2005, 12:19 AM by Morgbug »
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2004, 02:22 PM »
Went by TRU on lunch break and grabbed one of those black army figures for my very own ICMG custom.    :)

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2004, 09:20 PM »
WOW!!!!!!!!
I don't know which section impressed me the most.  The more I scrolled around the more I realized I couldn't pick a favorite part.  Fantastic work!!

Beth

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
Re: Modular Cloud City
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2004, 07:34 PM »
A sneak peek at Level Two...

the torture rack...

"You may take Captain Solo to Jabba the Hutt after I have Skywalker."