Author Topic: Modular Cloud City Playset  (Read 39631 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Modular Cloud City
« Reply #75 on: February 7, 2005, 05:27 PM »
Can't wait to see more pics... are you going to make a dueling area for Luke/Vader?

:P

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 7, 2005, 05:59 PM »
You know it. I sort of consider it "Phase II" of the playset...think of it as if Hasbro released the first three levels one year, then came out with the duel area the next, to continue the playsets. I'll probably be taking a nice little break from Bespin between the two parts, to work on a couple smaller projects I want to get to.

There will be a drop-off on the back of the Carbon Freezing Chamber that will lead to the gantry, so that the duel can flow as it did in the movie. The gantry itself I'm basically going to copy off the Micro sets from the 80s, at least as close as I can get, with the small addition of the aforementioned drop-off area, and a little "slide" tunnel leading to the control room proper.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 7, 2005, 07:50 PM »
Dude, I would love to see a 3-3/4" scale Freeze Chamber/Gantry like the vintage micro version - that thing rocked.  Hasbro should do this - but I'm sure yours will be better.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #78 on: February 7, 2005, 09:44 PM »
To me, the junk becomes an accessory...  Like a plate on a dinner table, or some such.  An unseable droid arm with wiring jutting out it is just something an Ugnaught can tote around like a Bespin Guard carries a gun or Chewie lugs the accessory 3PO...

I see the playability factor though.  Hasbro should've made an interchangeable "Droid Factory" type of playset ages ago but they've not really tried to capture anyone's attention that way it seems.  :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2005, 08:08 AM »
Hey guys, miss me?  ;D

This customizing section sure has blosssomed since my last visit around March or so. Lots of cool new work here, that's for sure, but that might be a topic for another time...

If I'm back, you know that means I have completed Cloud City level 2 pictures to show you all. Once again the project got put on the backburner as I got a new job this spring, then turned around and got married in May. As of June I went back to work on this monster, and here I am to show you the results.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2005, 08:12 AM »
Let's start with the torture room.

The biggest deal here is the torture rack I made and previewed back in December:

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2005, 08:16 AM »
Next is the hallway, also previewed a few times earlier in the year:

The problem I can see I'm going to have here is the rubbing off of the painted doors on their tracks in the walls...already the front door has needed a touch-up during photographing. I guess not everything works as planned.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2005, 08:23 AM »
Onto the holding cell. I gave a bit of a detailed "putting together" of this room as I built the walls, but here it is finished:

I included the shelf for Threepio, as well as the fan/grill on the ceiling that annoyed Chewie so. I also made a removable bench for Han to crash on:

I'm very pleased with this room, it's fun to "play" in.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2005, 08:32 AM »
The last room for this level is Chewie's junk room. This is where I did the bulk of my work this summer.

I mad a ton of junk for this room (as shown earlier) and a half of it is "dedicated" (ie glued in place) while the rest is stackable around the room or on the conveyor or whatever. The above pic is the room with its bare bones junk, including dead IG-88:

No other real "play features" in here, but it's fun to have stuff for the ugnaughts to toss around:

The crate for the Threepio parts is actually the tray to a pack of Gummi-Savers I happened to scavenge at Halloween, painted white. I'd like to make a few more but I haven't seen a single pack of the "fun size" ones since!

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
Modular Cloud City NEW PICS 7/15
« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2005, 08:37 AM »
And here are pictures of Cloud City, the playset, as it stands today:

Next up, as the top piece of the playset, is the Carbon-Freezing Chamber. To make it work, I had to install a little lift in the back of level 2 to allow for the figures to be lowered into the chamber. The circle on the roof will eventually be the center of the CFC:

« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 08:38 AM by Muftak »

Offline sith_fire30

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Re: Modular Cloud City NEW PICS 7/15
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2005, 08:54 AM »
I just joined this forum and am freaking out about this modular design your working on - it's just to good dude - I'm at a loss for words here - Good work! Can't wait to see more!!!

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2005, 10:54 AM »
WOW!  This Cloud City set is incredible!  I can't believe how much detail you've been able to incorporate into it.  Every room looks great.  My favorite is the Ugnaught's junk room, your pics look like they're straight from the video. 
As sith_fire30 said, the modular design is very well done.  If only hasbro could make something like this.....
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2005, 11:13 AM »
I would work in the salt mines in Libya for a week to have this.

This is unreal... it just keeps getting better.  I honestly can not believe your attention to detail... even Niub Niub would have hard time keeping up with you.

Don't forget to revive your Death Star thread for everyone who hasn't seen it yet.   ;)

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2005, 12:05 PM »
Thats just incredible. It gets better and better as the pic go on.
Love the Junk room.

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2005, 03:18 PM »
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge