Author Topic: Modular Cloud City Playset  (Read 39639 times)

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
Modular Cloud City Playset
« on: April 6, 2004, 06:01 AM »
I've been hard at work on my next project, a "three-level + a gantry" modular Cloud City Playset.

Right now I'm in the middle of putting the bottom level together. It' the "civilized" part of Cloud City, represented by the Guest Apartment, Dining Room, and Grand Corridor.

I've uploaded some in-progress pics to my "making-of" site for anyone who wants to take a peek and offer your comments.

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: February 4, 2008, 03:58 PM by Muftak »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Modular Cloud City
« Reply #1 on: April 6, 2004, 12:29 PM »
Where's the Frozen Dairy Chef Galley???

Looks great though Bobb...as great as the Death Star turned out I am giddy with anticipation for how this will go.  I've thought about either doing an Echo Base or a Cloud City type of thing for a long time.  I just need some motivation...perhaps this will be it!

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 6, 2004, 08:22 PM »
looking good so far... what are the dimensions of the main base section? looks pretty big to me  ;D

can't wait to see some more "finished" versions. like scott said, thinking about how awesome your death star was done, i can't wait to see this.

do you know what rooms you are going to make on each level yet? i don't know why but i always thought the carbon freeze chamber was in the "basement" so to speak on cloud city...

great work  :)

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 7, 2004, 06:09 AM »
It's close to 2 1/2 feet wide by 1 1/2 feet long. So, yeah, it's on the large side. Each level loses a bit of that "fin" look on the front, so that the third (top) level is a circle with a 1-foot diameter. Then, off the back of the structure, I'll add the gantry, which will be another two feet long or so.

The second level will hold the torture room, the cell, and the junk room/boiler room. Then the top, circular piece will be the Carbon Freezing Chamber. Off the back, Luke and Vader wil be able to duel through the control room with the big window, out onto the gantry.

I always thought of the CFC as the bowels of the city, too, but I put it on top since it's the most important thing in the playset, and as a level by itself was going to take up the least space.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: April 8, 2004, 02:16 AM »
Great work again so far Muftak, especially the sculpture...  That's a NICE piece of work, and looks real accurate from what I can see.

The lighter colors of Bespin should lend themselves to a more photogenic project.  Death Star's hard to photograph and get all the finer detail.

Are you tinkering with the idea of lighting this set perhaps?  There's very vibrant lighting on Bespin, and very moody stuff at times too (Freeze Chamber for instance).
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 9, 2004, 12:06 AM »
I always thought of the CFC as the bowels of the city, too, but I put it on top since it's the most important thing in the playset, and as a level by itself was going to take up the least space.

yeah, that makes sense, especially with the vader/luke duel idea...

"planning is everything"  ;D

can't wait to see some more photos... get back to work!!  ;)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 9, 2004, 04:48 PM »
Very impressive and a treat to see!  Yeah get back to work, and while you're at it, make me one too! ;)

:P

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2004, 06:25 PM »
The push light is a fantastic idea!!  When I set up my carbon freezing chamber I used those small orange lights (from Halloween) to give it a "glow".  I am anxious to see your next levels, especially the top.  As always, great work!!
Beth

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2004, 04:43 AM »
1)  Looks absolutely incredible, as expected.  The intricate details in things like the sculptures are absolutely to notch.

2)  Please hurry up with the next stage, so you can show me some more!   ;)

3)  Happy Birthday Bobb!  Welcome to the 30-something club.   8)

« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 04:45 AM by JediMAC »

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 2, 2004, 10:44 AM »
Thanks, Matt (that is you, right? :)). Cloud City has been on hold for about a month or so...I moved in May, and I've had to spend the time concentrating on real floorplans and furniture.

I hope to get back to Bespin soon...  

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: June 2, 2004, 07:41 PM »
Yep, still me.   ;)

Cloud City has been on hold for about a month or so...I moved in May, and I've had to spend the time concentrating on real floorplans and furniture.

You really need to work on your priorities Bob.   ::)  Work on the Star Wars diorama FIRST, so you can show 'em off to your buddies here in the forums who are anxiously awaiting your updates, and THEN mess around with all that "real world" crap once you've finished Cloud City.  Thanks.

Now go get to work...   :-*

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2004, 06:46 PM »
So, when are we due for some more updates here?  Don't leave us hanging like this Muftak!  Hopefully you're settled into your new place by now and you've delved back into your Cloud City project.  Your fans await!   :P

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2004, 10:51 PM »
So, when are we due for some more updates here?  Don't leave us hanging like this Muftak!  Hopefully you're settled into your new place by now and you've delved back into your Cloud City project.  Your fans await!   :P

My fans... ::)

My toys are still not settled to satisfaction at the new place. Way less room than I had before (on account of the fiance moving in and all, but don't tell her I said that!) so I no longer have both a workroom and a display room. It took forever just to get the Death Star back out and situated.

And so much to do while there is still some summer in the air..! Cloud City hasn't even been unpacked yet, but I am hoping to get to some of that stuff in the next couple weeks. Plus I finally found a Cloud Car Pilot at the store, so my motivation is coming back to me.

In the meantime, here's a Cloud City Prequel to enjoy instead...my first diorama from two years ago, which I built to gear up for the Death Star.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2004, 05:58 AM »

Check out my newest "making-of" pictures for a look at what I've been up to this past week.
« Last Edit: November 3, 2004, 04:05 PM by Muftak »

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
Re: Modular Cloud City NEW PICS 10/27
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2004, 12:26 PM »
Completed Level I pics, starting with the plaza:

Here's one showing the push light on:

That worked out better than I'd imagined as far as lighting the place from within. It really adds drama to what has to be my favorite shot of the bunch: