Author Topic: Modular Cloud City Playset  (Read 39620 times)

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
Re: !!LEVEL ONE COMPLETED!! Modular Cloud City
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2004, 12:30 PM »
(Don't just skip to the second page--there're more pictures at the bottom of page one!)

Now the apartment. I had some unfinished pictures up, but it really looks different with all the set dressing. Plus I completely redid the couch:

« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 12:55 PM by Muftak »

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2004, 12:36 PM »
And the dining room.

I procrastinated on this room because for whatever reason that table really scared me. As it stands, I like it!

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2004, 12:44 PM »
Finally, some shots of the whole thing as a "playset:"

That back wall is just a gratuitous bit of foam scuplting, in an attempt to llok like the exterior of a Cloud City building:

And I made the "Beldon's Eye" sculpture removable, since it's battery-operated (and you really have to take those batteries out if you're not using it, because it will suck them dry in a day or so, even turned off!) I also wanted to leave the option of a more open plaza, or even building one of the other Cloud City sculptures to swap with it.

So that's it for now. Level 2 is up next, but I can't really say when I'll get around to working on that, with the holidays and all...

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2004, 01:10 PM »
Very well done, Muftak. I think that light adds more to that diorama/playset than anythings I have seen, custom related. A very very nice job on your part. :)

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2004, 01:33 PM »
Well, I almost fainted when I saw this.  You did an unbelievable job of executing this project. 

:P

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2004, 10:22 PM »
Clunk! Sound of jaw hitting the floor. This is absolulty amazing Muftak. One heck of a project, well done.  8)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2004, 10:45 PM »
Wow.  :o

I don't know what else to say...

The dining room is amazing.  And the detail in the sculpture in the room with Han & Leia - it really makes your display shine.  Those VOTC stormtroopers are really at home in a display like this!

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2004, 10:49 PM »
At the risk of sounding like I'm jumping on the bandwagon, that is just an amazing piece of work. Your dioramas/playsets continue to amaze me. Just absolutely incredible detail put into that. How long has it really taken you to complete this? I don't mean "I started on April 1st and finished it today", I mean roughly how many actual hours (if you even have any idea)??

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2004, 02:18 AM »
Can you go work for hasbro and show them how to make a good payset????
That is a truly beautifull piece of work
Kudos to you.
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2004, 03:34 AM »
Very nice Muftak.

I like that the contours of the Bespin set aren't rigid and square.  You captured the way Cloud City sorta curves and circles in its architecture, while your Death Star was more squarish, as its architecture was.

Very cool.

I'm curious to see what you'll maybe try/do with the freeze chamber, and Hasbro's mini-fc they made some years ago.  I liked that set a lot, though it's small.  It worked though.  I thought it was only needing to be bigger itself, or be something they made additions for that snapped to it.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2004, 03:38 AM »
PS:

The push light's an awesome touch btw.  I've wanted to try something along the lines of using those push lights.  They're relatively inexpensive and look useful, but I've yet to work on a project I really wanted to put big domed lights in.

I have considered something a light-up holo-table thing though, like in AOTC.  Not a film diorama though I don't think.  Just something from my own cranial cavity.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2004, 03:31 PM »
Beautiful work. Really beautiful.

:-*

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2004, 03:05 PM »
Thanks to one and all. To pick up some stray comments...

--There's actually only one VOTC Stormtrooper in there. He's pretty obvious. The rest are commtechs.

--Total hours worked on this project,  I would estimate to be around 100 hours. Though that's not including laying out the floorplans. I doodle all the time at work, at home, wherever, just little ideas for how things ought to work. A lot of the issues I on this I worked out while in the midst of building the Death Star.

--I originally thought of using a push-light to build a Yavin War Room table. I'd still like to try it someday, if I ever get to building a Yavin War Room. I adapted the idea to this project as a test, and because I'd never seen anything like it done before.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2004, 03:11 PM »
I almost forgot--what would a new playset be without an exclusive pack-in figure?

I give you the Ice Cream Maker Guy:

CCP: "Excuse me sir, do you have a license for that frozen dairy equipment?"

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2004, 03:30 PM »
Nice job Muftak!  That whole idea and your work are the greatest, and then you honor the funniest bit player of the saga with a spot in there, I'm touched.