Author Topic: Figures You Have Passed On, Or Will Pass On  (Read 11477 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Figures You Have Passed On, Or Will Pass On
« on: April 7, 2004, 02:07 PM »
Although the recent figures (most of 2004) have been pretty great so far, there are always a few figures that not everyone is fond of.  I was curious which (if any) figures you have passed on this year, or ones that you might leave on the pegs that are coming up.  I guess for completists this isn't an option, but maybe there are some that you don't feel as good purchasing and you're buying just to stay complete.  So far, of the 2004 figs the only figure I have passed on is the Hoth Trooper...but I have considered picking it up because I plan on getting most everything else (outside of re-releases).  I'm not a completist by any means, but if I'm only a figure short of having the whole she-bang, I might consider it.

At the end of last year,  I also passed on (or missed) Tatooine Padme, Ackh Med-Beq, Ayy Vida, Elan Sleazebaggano, Deluxe/Ultra Jango and Obi, re-releases, and most of the regular Clone Wars line (and ships).  I have Anakin, Yoda, the ARC trooper, and one SA Clone from that line.  I also passed on the Geonosian War Room scenes, due to space at the time.  Anyways, anything you have been unhappy with or passed on lately?

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: Figures You Have Passed On, Or Will Pass On
« Reply #1 on: April 7, 2004, 02:10 PM »
I wish I would have passed on Ayy Vida, Ackh Med, and the second Dignitary. I've had them for months, and I haven't even opened them yet.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline obi-dad

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 7, 2004, 06:17 PM »
I'll have to look to see what I've passed on.   With Hasbro giving the collectors what they want this year, I think I've picked up everything in the basic and Ultra line.  I passed on all Animated Clone and Clone War figures.  I've passed on all re-releases.   As far as basic figures go, I'll have to dig back to see what I've passed on.  I probably would have passed on the Tie Fighter Pilot (since I already have so many) but I hadn't seen a new figure in a while, so I went ahead and got that as well.

Offline Jedirhino

• Jedi Initiate
  • The party's over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 7, 2004, 06:45 PM »
I've pretty much stayed away from some of the rereleases, but I like most of the figures...I would say the things that I have passed on are the things that I have not seen...

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: April 8, 2004, 12:05 AM »
Figures I've passed on?

Um...  Well...  Uh...  That would be... none.  My OCD causes me to collect every last one of 'em.   :-[  If they're just re-released (recarded) figures, I obviously only need one of them for the carded collection, since I've already got a loose (and carded) one from that figure's previous release.  Hate that recarded crap, but of course, I've got nobody to blame but myself for collecting them (and Hasbro, just a little, for rereleasing them).

But when the OTC era rolls around, I will anxiously and happily grab every recarded issue they put out in that line, since the packaging is so damned beautiful!   8)

Offline Rob L

• Jedi Initiate
  • Timelord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 8, 2004, 07:52 AM »
I had OCD* too, but I'm better now  ;)

I buy one of everything new to me carded, so the reissues can Ewok off as far as I’m concerned. My need for loose toys has been taken up by LOTR figures…much easier for my aging eyes to see for a start! I basically love all the OT stuff, so there’s no way I could give those up. I will think again when Ep3 comes around: if I’m going to start passing up figures big-time, it will be then. Not sure I want to still be in the collecting game when I get to 30.

* I assume that’s something like Obsessive Completist Disorder?
Palitoy...it ain't yellow :)

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 8, 2004, 10:59 AM »
Yup!

I am currently in that trauma right now!

Obsessive Completist Disorder!

I have to have all of the figures, if not then I go crazy trying to find them everywhere!

Although things have been slowing down a little bit with the 2004 waves, it is starting up again! :-X

Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: April 8, 2004, 11:09 AM »
Figures I've passed on?

Um...  Well...  Uh...  That would be... none.  My OCD causes me to collect every last one of 'em.   :-[  If they're just re-released (recarded) figures, I obviously only need one of them for the carded collection, since I've already got a loose (and carded) one from that figure's previous release.  Hate that recarded crap, but of course, I've got nobody to blame but myself for collecting them (and Hasbro, just a little, for rereleasing them).

But when the OTC era rolls around, I will anxiously and happily grab every recarded issue they put out in that line, since the packaging is so damned beautiful!   8)

I concur.

I, too, suffer from OCD.  I buy one of everything carded (including re-card figures) and one of each sculpt to open (ie I bought a CommTech Cantina Han to open, but didn't buy any of the re-issues to open, only to keep carded).  I have NEVER passed on a figure.  

I have no plans to pass up any figure anytime soon, but eventually they might create a figure so lame that I don't need it.  Like if they crank out a Raek MullaCcM (X-Wing Pilot) for Celebration 3 (Hasbro PLEASE don't do that).  I wouldn't want that.  Sacul was one thing, but please end the trend with Jorg.

I have, however passed on vehicles occasionally.  Like the CW re-released AAT.  If they would have packed in a figure though... I'd have purchased one.  It's a disease.

A variant of this disease causes me to have 50+ Clones and 70+ Stormtoopers, but that's another story...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #8 on: April 8, 2004, 07:55 PM »
I too once had OCD, but the tail end of the Episode 1 line cleared me of that. Nowadays I will not buy a figure I have near-zero interest in unless I find it on a major clearance, like $2 or less. That led me to getting the Ep1 Softgoods wave and the eventual first wave of Ep1 resculpts in POTJ for $1 on clearance. Since then I've passed on some of the early 2003 Saga figs, like Acklay Obiwan and Lollipop Mace. I've also recently passed on the TRU Jedi Warriors 4pack and the Ultra Obi-Wan/Jango recards.

As for whats to come, I think I'm going to pass on the new Bossk. While it certainly looks like a neat figure, I already have 2 pretty cool POTF2 Bossk's that fill the need just fine. One of my thoughts is, if the new version can't really improve on a previous version, why buy it. Thats why I'm not going with the Bossk, but will go with Dengar and did recently go with the new Lando Skiff and TIE Pilot.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #9 on: April 8, 2004, 10:50 PM »
I pass on a lot of figures nowadays.  I also used to be a one of everyone kind of guy, but the number of figs I don't buy has been growing ever since EP1.  I've left about half of this year's offerings on the pegs.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 9, 2004, 11:53 AM »
Most of the HOF figures are definitely passes on for me.  Don't need them.

:P

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2004, 10:14 PM »
Recards are a pass for me.  I simply don't have room or interest in six-eight versions of the commtech Han.  Or otherwise.  

Everything else though, one of each and I try to force myself to open them immediately. If not, then temptation takes over.  Not that I would have a problem finding multiples.  Geez, I've got so many people hunting for me, I end up being ahead of the average American collector anyway.  

I've run out of space for loose stuff too, with so many more figures to open.  Possibly moving, so no new shelving for now.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2004, 02:05 PM »
I have to agree that I also will pass on any recard. The main characters I look at and if I think the recard is better, then I will pick it up.
This year, I have picked up the Tie Pilot, Tanus, J'Quille, Jedi Luke and Hoth Luke (my 10 year old wanted both), Ozzel (again my son wanted to go with a story he has made up), Bossk, Dengar (did not have either of the POTF ones), R1-G4.
I have had Gold Leader but sold him to a fellow collector, as I did Dodomma.  Passed on Jedi Holo Luke, Rappertunie, Jabba Ultra, Obi Wan and Jango Kamino, Rebel Hoth Trooper, and any other figure  not mentioned as buying.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Jedirhino

• Jedi Initiate
  • The party's over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2004, 11:41 AM »
My wife causes me not to be suffering from OCD   :-\

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2004, 10:00 PM »
Since I stopped being a carded completist, I won't be buying any of the reissues aside from army builders.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback