Author Topic: 100 days of slaughter  (Read 1694 times)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
100 days of slaughter
« on: April 8, 2004, 01:16 AM »
I figure with all the attention that is given to the tenth anniversary of Cobain's death, this one deserves some attention too, because it started at the same time.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/evil/etc/slaughter.html

800,000 people were killed in Rwanda in the span of 100 days. Damn near one million. And it happened only ten years ago.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: 100 days of slaughter
« Reply #1 on: April 8, 2004, 09:12 AM »
This event is still unfathomable to me...how in the hell did the world let this happen???  ANd not even blink an eye about it?  People went nuts when Milosevic killed people in Europe but it wasn't 800,000.  Africa and its nuances is a scary place to me...how long will it be until the world finally recognizes the problems that exist there and starts to do something about it...AIDS, Famine and War being the big three.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #2 on: April 8, 2004, 11:10 AM »
The world powers wanted to intervene, but were worried about who was going to pay the bill.

Nice. ::)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 8, 2004, 02:45 PM »
Famine

What?

All kidding aside, thats nuts.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 8, 2004, 09:48 PM »
This event is still unfathomable to me...how in the hell did the world let this happen???  ANd not even blink an eye about it?  People went nuts when Milosevic killed people in Europe but it wasn't 800,000.  Africa and its nuances is a scary place to me...how long will it be until the world finally recognizes the problems that exist there and starts to do something about it...AIDS, Famine and War being the big three.

It is a stunningly frightening place.  I have had the opportunity through my job and grad school to meet a large number of Africans.  

AIDs is huge beyond comprehension.  In certain areas, nearly 50% of the population is infected and the misinformation is astounding.  The belief that sleeping with a virgin will rid one of the disease is a widespread one.  Couple that with the treatment of women as irrelevant beings and it is a mess.  

War and famine are a result of the numerous dictatorships and disparaties that arise from that.  Relief seldom goes to where it is needed and some of the stupidest things in the world happen.  I am utterly apalled at Europe and organizations like Greenpeace.  Tons and tons of corn were sent in relief efforts (maize) but because some of it might have been transgenic, they suggested it could be dangerous.  Rather than distribute it, out of fear of market restrictions and mythological health fears, millions more perished.  

Malaria would be number four on that list.  A difficult disease to treat and quite possibly even harder to treat.  Yet another reason for my, bluntly, hatred of groups like Greenpeace and World Wildlife Fund.  They, among others, are pushing for a worldwide ban on DDT.  Despite what you may have heard about DDT, it saves more lives in Africa than just about anything else.  Yet "environmental" organizations as such want to ban all uses.  In Africa, the only use anyone wants to retain for DDT is as a treatment for walls.  Mosquitoes land on those walls and are killed.  There is minimal environmental impact and no broadcast type of spraying.  But a bunch of (relatively speaking) rich people that have zero knowledge of life in Africa are dead set on condemning millions to illness and death.   >:( >:( >:(  Catch a quick glimpse on the top of this page for some perspective

« Last Edit: April 8, 2004, 09:49 PM by Morgbug »
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 9, 2004, 11:35 AM »
The Catholic church (I am currently disputing remaining with the church) is spreading misinformation of condoms preventing the spread of HIV, by saying that even if a condom is used, you will contract HIV. Science has proven this is not true, if the condom is used properly.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...