Author Topic: Designed by You...  (Read 4392 times)

Offline Jedirhino

• Jedi Initiate
  • The party's over....
    • View Profile
Designed by You...
« on: May 12, 2004, 05:01 PM »
this may be another rehashed topic but...

what if you could design the next line of figures for after OTC (probably EIII) what would you include as pack-ins, what would be considered an Ultra figure, what would the figures be like single pose, etc. what size vehicles, I know that some details are missing because we don't have all of characters but...see what you would do...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Designed by You...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 03:16 PM »
Oooooooh ...nice topic!

If CHEWIE were in charge, I would have each figure with an awesome pack-in like weather vane that came with the SAGA Bespin Luke, the bar edge with the Outlander Club Obi Wan, the conveyor belt piece that came with the Factory Padme figure, etc.

To me, environmental pack-ins are the best.  They can be environment bases (stands) or whatever else was an object that was seen in movie that is relevant to that particular figure.

There would also be a wider range of Ultra/Deluxe figures, with constant additions to the line (Death Star Trooper w/ Imperial Command Console, Owen Lars w/ Moisture Vaporator, etc).

We would also be getting more of the large scale vehicles (AT-TE, Sail Barge, etc) and a few mammoth playsets (Death Star, Theed Palace, Coruscant, etc).

:P

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 02:51 AM »
If I could design the next line of figures after OTC, I would chose characters that have never been made before & then after I found them at retail, I would brag about it by starting multiple threads at various SW forums to let everyone know of my 'accomplishment'.  
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 12:56 PM »
If I could design the next line of figures after OTC, I would chose characters that have never been made before & then after I found them at retail, I would brag about it by starting multiple threads at various SW forums to let everyone know of my 'accomplishment'.  

You know, I don't see why you have to kick a dead horse here.  This forum has been clean and fun and has not been tarnished and stained by ignorant/stupid arguments like you are attempting to start with me.  You should go back to your other forums and try to start your flame wars there if that is your intention.  

You've done this enough to me at another forum for me to know you're not just playing around.  If you have a problem with me because I used to 'brag about my accomplishments' (as you call it) once ever 2 months by starting a new post about what I found and a personal review, then PM me, there's no place for it here.  I don't see any reason for these comments you come up with out of the blue.  You started this same crap a few months back at a different forum.

Moderators, please lock this post or start a new one for Jedirhino if you believe it starts getting out of hand.  It is not my intention to start any arguments, and I will not post in this thread again if Force Guy replies to it in an ignorant way.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 03:18 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 01:50 PM »
We'll keep an eye on it Justin.  Might just lop off these last two posts here, so the conversation can continue on, uninterrupted here.  We'll see...

As for the redesign idea, to be honest, after seeing the beautiful OTC cards, I wouldn't ever redesign them.  I'd let the line run it's course on those great looking cards!  I would however get a lot more flexible and creative as far as the figures that are being offered.  For example, if a Luke X-wing Pilot figure was being put out, I'd toss in a Biggs and Wedge head for some variety.  I'd try to offer as many of the appropriate accessories as possible for each respective figure too.  More articulation would obviously be a popular move, along with neautral poses.

Aside from the initial Ep. 3 onslaught, I'd be much more collector focused, rather than trying to entice the kiddies into the line, and I'd set up some type of line of communication between the collectors and the creative process of designing the actual figures.  Might be as easy as signing some Hasbro reps up around the forums, to chat with all the collectors, and pick their brains for ideas.  Actually, you could just confirm that you're already reading their ideas in the forums (like the Hoth Han), and that would probably suffice.

I'd also try to beef up some/all of the vehicles so they're a bit more to scale, even if it means a $10 - $20 bump in price.  Finally, playsets for some of the key scenes is a must, especially ones that we're all setting up in dioramas.  Far too neglected playsets have been!

I think that would be a good start for me.   ;)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2004, 03:09 PM »
I also would leave the cards the way they are.  My main concern forward would just be articulation.  No stands, no gimmicks, nothing but standard articulation on every figure.  Lots of it.  And finally, a carded Wedge.  Oh, and Dorme.  And Swimming Obi Wan.  And...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2004, 03:20 PM »
I agree, standard awesome articulation would be a great way to go.  I don't see that happening unfortunately.  

I suppose as long as they don't reintroduce the action features and keep the overposed figures to a minimum I will be happy.  And if we can finally get some figures made of Dorme, the prequel Lars family, etc.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2004, 03:47 PM »
I agree with what everyone has been saying here as well.  I really hope that they continue the cardback style that we are going to see in the OTC collection....for both OT and PT figures.  I think the cards really stand out, and are the best cards we have seen in the modern line.

As far as the actual "toys" themselves, I agree with the obvious that I don't want to see any more "action features".  As I have been packing up my collection in the past couple of weeks getting ready to move, I have realized once again how much I dislike these things.  It really hurt a lot of figures that could have been great.  I'm also not a big fan of the extreme poses.  At first I didn't think they were too bad, and figures like Luminara do "look" good...but I'd rather have more static poses.  Neutral, but with the articulation that allows you to put them in poses yourself.  I agree with increased, standard articulation as well.  I like a lot of posability, but the ability for them to stand neutrally as well.  From the pics we've seen, the VOTC figures are a good example of this.  I don't want articulation to the point where they look goofy, since they are in the 3 3/4" scale, but as long as they do it well, and where appropriate, I'm all for it.  Example, to me, figures like the upcoming Lobot (as well as Dodonna, etc.) don't have to have as much articulation necessarily as Vader, Han, Luke, etc.

I also could do without overly done multiple versions of characters in the same outfit, but that does come with the territory.  I don't mind it if it is resculpts years apart, to adapt with evolving technologies where the figures are worlds better than they were years back.  I'm actually someone that enjoys seeing main characters once in awhile, in resculpt form, when they are done better than before.  For example, I have more than my share of Commtech Han Solo, and I think that figure is great, but the upcoming VOTC one, while the same outfit, looks much better to me.  The multiples I don't care for are, for example, in movie years.  I didn't need quite so many Jangos or Mauls, or Anakins...but then again, I didn't HAVE to buy them either.  If I went back, I probably wouldn't have bought all of them.  But, like I said, this is just part of the line....we'll get one or the other, multiple character versions like the past couple prequel movies....or rehashed figures like was done in the vintage days (which didn't seem too bad back then, you could pretty much always find who you were looking for).

Finally, this is getting long...sorry, I'm down with people who would like to see some playsets.  Now I realize it is probably a bit of a risk for Hasbro to put out tons of playsets like we had in the vintage line, but it wouldn't be so bad to see one every once in awhile.  Personally, I'd really like to see a Death Star playset again, even if it was a vintage re-do type of thing.  I never had that as a kid, and always wanted it.  Otherwise, I agree with what others have seen, and I hope the line is at least close to what everyone wants in the future.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2004, 01:59 PM »
I agree mosnab, why in the heck do they keep releasing that Han figure?  It was cool when it came out, but my Lord this figure has been released too many times.

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2004, 04:08 PM »
I've tried to design on paper some playsets like the kamino playset and the Lars homestead. I envision the Kamino set sort of like the death star set with three or four levels, an elevator to connect each level plus support beams. One elvel on top would be the slave 1 landing pad, next down would be either jango's aprt or the clone facility. Using cardboard backgrounds to show the scenes as well.
Then the Lars homestead as an opening cylandar that has the different rooms seen inthe movies: the dining rom/kitchen, the garage.
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2004, 05:31 PM »
If I were running the show?

I'd reuse parts where it were logical...

If I re-released a Gammorean, for instance, I'd release him with a new skirt piece, maybe a new head (removable hat), and new arms...  The rest would be original.

If I re-released Han it'd be down the road and it'd be the VOTC Han, which looks far superior IMO.  If I were to re-release ANY Han now though I'd have sent out the POTJ Bespin Capture Solo, all posed like he's firing on Vader.  Great figure.

But, if I were to run the line as I saw fit....

-Increased articulation...  Across the board, we'd see heavier use of the ball/socket joints at the elbows, knees, shouolders, and at times at the hip sockets as well.  If a figure didn't have ankle ball/socket joints he'd have boot cuts at least.

-Army Builders would see release as individual single figures, with super articulation, and then they'd see 3-pack releases reusing the body completely with 2 new heads and the original headsculpt packed into a single set.

-If demand is there, they'd see further release in online 4-packs.

"bland" figures like Senators, etc., would see cut back production and articulation, and if the demand remained a figure would be repacked later and that would be TOLD to collectors prior so they don't go ga-ga thinking it's a short-pack.

-Exclusives would be used to promote the line...  Buy so much, send us the receipt and UPC's and you get a Jabba's Dais with new Salicious Crumb figure.  Buy so much and you get a little set of unique accessries (Thermal Detonators, maybe some EU ones, a holographic Vader, perhaps stands).

-Playsets would be incorporated into the Screen Scene line, and priced at $15-$30 depending on the set.  $30 for a vintage Dagobah Hutt though?  I'd be all for that.

-Soft Goods versions of figures would possibly be running variations with sculpted versions.  A Han Endor with a soft-goods coat is replaced with a Han Endor with a cloth coat...  Supply would be increased based on demand.

-The OTC card design will be a standard after E3's run would be finished.  

-EU figures would be mixed into their own wave at some point in the year, and they'd include "main characters" to entice kids but also they'd include background EU for the collectors.

-No figure's production run would end...  Evaluation for demand would be answered if the demand is there.  Ephant Mon-esque situations wouldn't happen.

-Exclusives would no longer be handled by Hasbro direct...  Pack-ins would be ofo the same quality as carded figures.

-Action features would ONLY be put into figures if it didn't hinder the articulation/aesthetics.  They'd have to be self-contained (which ironically these are the ones that work the best most often).  

These are just general things I'd change with the line being as it is...  I'd be setting the line up totally different than it is myself if there were total control.  It could really be a performer in 2 markets if you wanted it to be.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77