Author Topic: Insert cards  (Read 4258 times)

obi_robz

Insert cards
« on: June 3, 2003, 07:25 AM »
Hi all,

I’ve just picked up an insert-card R2 to complete my insert collection (I’m not counting Sacul). R2 along with Obi CC were the hardiest to find, and, for some reason, I managed to get the toughies like Dex and the Geo Warrior very easily at retail.

So how many carded collectors here have gone out to get the background insert versions? I certainly did, but I found that I had to put up with some less than mint cards though. Would you rather have a mint no-background card, or a slightly imperfect (minor ding, scuffs, the odd crease etc.) background insert card?

Which insert versions were easy to find, and which ones were more difficult to get, or that you had to pay above retail for?

Cheers,
Rob :)

Offline Hung Solow

• Jedi Initiate
  • Public Enemy #1
    • View Profile
Re: Insert cards
« Reply #1 on: June 3, 2003, 10:38 AM »
I believe the first 16 had inserts.  Do you have the smooth or slot peg version of R2-D2?  Dexter and the Geonsian were the toughest, but not too tough.
Blessed be the Maker and his Water, Blessed be the coming and the going of Him, May His passage cleanse the world. --- Dune: Dr. Kynes; Imperial Ecologist

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #2 on: June 3, 2003, 11:16 AM »
I'm not the type of collector who has to have every single carded variation figure.  If I saw the same two figures and one had the insert (the other didn't), I would get the one with the insert.  I thought those inserts looked pretty cool, but like I said I'm not a variation completist.
dustrho

obi_robz

« Reply #3 on: June 3, 2003, 12:03 PM »
Do you have the smooth or slot peg version of R2-D2?  

I didn’t know there were any variations. Here’s a picture of my R2, which version is it that I have?

Generally I don’t go for variations, but I collected the insert card versions because I just liked the way they looked. Fortunately I got almost all of them at retail, and even those that I got on eBay were still not too expensive.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: June 3, 2003, 12:19 PM »
You've got the smooth version there Rob.  Hung's referring to the round, silver "pivot joint" at the top of R2's leg there.  They were initially smooth like yours, but a production change was made to the more accurate version with spokes (slotted pegs).  As far as I know though, the later slotted peg version only showed up on the R2's that were carded without the insert.  Don't think the production change happened in time to get the newer R2's on the older "insert" cards.

I've got a complete set with inserts myself, and found the the first 15 at retail with no problems at all.  Dexter was a toughie in this part of the country, and basically nobody was able to find him here so we've all had to trade for him with fellow members.  Apparently he was pretty plentiful in other areas though.  Odd how that seems to happen so much.  I think the reverse was true with the Geonosian Warriors - plenty of them here in Southern California, but a pretty tough find elsewhere.

I had initially picked up both an insert and non insert set of the first 16 figures, but decided that was a bit overboard, and just kept the insert versions after all was said and done.  Have the Sacul with insert as well, from our visit to C2 in Indy last year.

To answer your other question, I guess I'd hang on to a less than mint card with an insert, over the same carded figure without one - IF I was putting together an insert set.  Not sure what I would do if that wasn't the case, but I'd think most collectors would probably want to at least keep the first 16 figures uniform in their collections - either all with insert or all without.  Maybe that's not the case though, but it sounds feasible anyways...

obi_robz

« Reply #5 on: June 3, 2003, 12:40 PM »
Yeah, I didn’t want to have a mixture either, so I stuck with all insert-cards, even if one or two of them are only C-8-ish.

I’ve just checked my non-insert R2 (newly freed from his card! – he was my “stand in” until the insert version turned up), and sure enough he has the slotted peg. The thing that made me hesitate was that he had the mintiest Saga card I’ve ever seen, but like you say, having one of each version might be a bit excessive. Oh well, at least I’ve got a fun new figure to “play” with.

:)

Offline Hung Solow

• Jedi Initiate
  • Public Enemy #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 3, 2003, 12:49 PM »
Do you have the smooth or slot peg version of R2-D2?  

I didn’t know there were any variations. Here’s a picture of my R2, which version is it that I have?

Generally I don’t go for variations, but I collected the insert card versions because I just liked the way they looked. Fortunately I got almost all of them at retail, and even those that I got on eBay were still not too expensive.

Rob, you have the smoothe version.  The small silver circle is what is different in the 2.  The other looks like the head of a Phillips screw.
Blessed be the Maker and his Water, Blessed be the coming and the going of Him, May His passage cleanse the world. --- Dune: Dr. Kynes; Imperial Ecologist

Offline E.Z.

• Jedi Initiate
  • Montreal, Quebec
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 3, 2003, 06:43 PM »
I'm still missing Plo Koon and Obi Wan. I got most of them from 4 different traders at Rebelscum.  :)
Shawn

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: June 3, 2003, 11:03 PM »
I have a complete set of background inserts as well. 3 days before they were 'allowed' to peg AOTC/SAGA figures, a store had pegged about 2 cases. In that assortment were 2 Dexters with insert and with 'pipe' text I would assume, but did not know to check then. After that, I never saw another insert Dexter until the pipe text had a sticker on it. So I went through the 2nd worst trade in history and sent out a Luminara (removable cape text showing) and never got the promised Dexter. I guess I still do not have the greatest one due to the card being a bit dinged up. I would prefer this dinged up one over a mint non-insert and no pipe text Dexter any day! But, this is a variation within a variation...

The other that I found quite difficult is the original Super Battle Droid with insert and original card back with legs separated from the abdomen example shot. I had one and traded it and have run across only one other and was unable to close the deal. I have the stickered back with insert. Sorry to get ridiculous with the multiple variations...

I guess the card issue might also apply to something like a Bloody Luke on a dinged card versus a regular one on a mint card.

I only need Saesee Tinn to complete my 2002, #'s 1-53 carded collection and first 16 with inserts. Nobody has him up for trade and he is an elusive figure to find on pegs for me.

Now, obi_robz, you said, 'not including Sacul'. I was unaware he had an insert. Did you include him for a reason? I just have not ever heard that he came with an insert card...

My other question is about R2-D2. The variation with the 'wrong' shoulder bolt was the grooved I thought. It is referred to as the R3-T7 leg error and R3-T7 has a grooved shoulder bolt if I'm not mistaken. The earlier (POTF2 red card/green card) R2-D2s have smooth bolts. I am really begining to think that I have it all down and then someone tries to convince me otherwise. I don't care what is right or wrong. My concern is being correct when I describe it on our checklists. So what is up with the freaking bolt in R2's shoulder?!!
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: June 3, 2003, 11:42 PM »
Now, obi_robz, you said, 'not including Sacul'. I was unaware he had an insert. Did you include him for a reason? I just have not ever heard that he came with an insert card...

My other question is about R2-D2. The variation with the 'wrong' shoulder bolt was the grooved I thought. It is referred to as the R3-T7 leg error and R3-T7 has a grooved shoulder bolt if I'm not mistaken. The earlier (POTF2 red card/green card) R2-D2s have smooth bolts. I am really begining to think that I have it all down and then someone tries to convince me otherwise. I don't care what is right or wrong. My concern is being correct when I describe it on our checklists. So what is up with the freaking bolt in R2's shoulder?!!

The Saculs all come with a background insert Thomas.  A Rebel Hangar insert to be exact.

The R2 figure was "corrected" from the smooth shoulder bolt, to the spoked/pegged version after release.  Not sure which you'd prefer to call the error or variant, but Hasbro intentionally changed the production on all the remaining R2's to the spoked version.  I've never heard of a spoked version appearing with a background insert, though there may be a few very rare examples of this happening...

Another actual production change to the R2 involved his vents in the front of the figure.  One version has a wider section of vents, and another a much narrower set of vents.  Don't recall which came first, or which was the correct version, but I have both on an insert card right now.

Sorry to confuse you bud, but that's just the way the Hasbro cookie crumbles...   ;)

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: June 4, 2003, 12:05 AM »
thanks JMAC. Damn, I thought I knew everything!!! (lol)

Can't believe this is the first I've heard of a background insert with Jorg! I guess if I had one, it would be different...

I knew of the vents variaitons, but the R2-D2 bolt thing still messes with me... oh well...

The resident variation expert bangs his head in frustration against carded R2-D2 figure...

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 4, 2003, 01:35 AM »
I recently completed my 2002 figures, and the last three pieces I got were:

Dexter w/ insert and pipe text on an excellent card and bubble! ( thanks JediMac for hooking that up for me.)  I also scored the Super Battledroid w/out correction sticker and background from K.B. when they had their 50% off sale.

The other that I found quite difficult is the original Super Battle Droid with insert and original card back with legs separated from the abdomen example shot. I had one and traded it and have run across only one other and was unable to close the deal. I have the stickered back with insert. Sorry to get ridiculous with the multiple variations...

That same day I also picked up from K.B. Padme w/ background and mole on high cheek.
I also got a Padme w/ background and mole on low cheek that I never even seen before.

Hey Thomas, a while back I sent you an e-mail and you were going to get back on the difference on the two, I would love to hear about it.  

Thanks,

Fish

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: June 4, 2003, 10:33 PM »
Almost there FELouie! I will finally have time to start looking into stuff like moles and legs and shoulder bolts and...

I am not jealous of your finds (as I turn green). Damn KB, TRUs and all the others have been dungeons of evil peg warmer figures for too long now. Nice grabs and hope the luck keeps coming your way.

Offline Rob L

• Jedi Initiate
  • Timelord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2004, 01:26 PM »
It kind of makes me laugh (ruefully) how the price on these has collapsed. When I started I suppose a bit of me was in for the “value” of these “rare” figures, but now I feel like such an idiot.

I was dusting off my MOCs and now I think I regret trading in my genuine MOMC first 16 for the insert versions that I replaced them with (some of the insert cards are far less than MOMC). Makes me want to be an opener again :(
Palitoy...it ain't yellow :)