Author Topic: Things you wish you knew more about  (Read 3329 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Things you wish you knew more about
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2004, 09:19 PM »
Tack me onto "Math".  

Other languages would be nice also...  I can sometimes follow things by their root sounds in pronounciation, but I can't speak any language except English.  

Math sucks for me though...  Complex math like Algebra on up anyway.  I've had so many accounting courses in my life that while it's pretty advanced Math in its OWN way, I can do it, but anything like Calculus, or Trig, or Algebra even...  I suck.

Working on cars, I actually know some about, but I can safely say Scott that even with what I know how to do I STILL can't do a lot with a car.

I can change my oil, and you could too if someone showed you how real quick (it's easy), but things like dropping a tranny I couldn't do without breaking things for certain.  

I can weld though, which is a plus with a project I have right now because it needs a buttload of it!  :)

I wish I had the expert modeling skills of the guys that worked on the original Star Wars flicks though.  There's a skill I'd love...  I think I'm decent, but experts in the business just blow your mind when you see their stuff in person...  Everything from museums to movies.  That stuff can amaze you.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2004, 12:52 AM »
Math is cool, I've had way too much of it (Calc I - IV, Linear Algebra and Differential Equations)  It is truly amazing to me the elegance of the physical world sometimes.  Simple things like the revolution of the Earth around the Sun can be described and predicted with simple formulas...

I use a lot of math in my job...rates of change are all Differential Equations...how much time does it take a chemical reaction to occur, how fast are the chemicals being reacted and how much heat do you need to add...all over the correct periods of time.  The trick is that the quantities are changing...as reactions occur the chemicals change from one form to another meaning you have less and less of one thing and more and more of another.  This means the physical properties of the batch change too...Again though simple equations can simulate really complex ideas.

Painting/customizing is a good one.  One I've tried and enjoyed with some limited success, but I look at some of the paint jobs I've done and they are a tad sloppy.  It was sort of a mix of me being a novice and rushing.  I wish I had the time to get into that again because it is relaxing and a rewarding part of the hobby IMO

Offline Playgirl

• Jedi Initiate
  • Slice and DICE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2004, 01:12 AM »
Math is cool, I've had way too much of it (Calc I - IV, Linear Algebra and Differential Equations)  It is truly amazing to me the elegance of the physical world sometimes.  Simple things like the revolution of the Earth around the Sun can be described and predicted with simple formulas...

I use a lot of math in my job...rates of change are all Differential Equations...how much time does it take a chemical reaction to occur, how fast are the chemicals being reacted and how much heat do you need to add...all over the correct periods of time.  The trick is that the quantities are changing...as reactions occur the chemicals change from one form to another meaning you have less and less of one thing and more and more of another.  This means the physical properties of the batch change too...Again though simple equations can simulate really complex ideas.

Painting/customizing is a good one.  One I've tried and enjoyed with some limited success, but I look at some of the paint jobs I've done and they are a tad sloppy.  It was sort of a mix of me being a novice and rushing.  I wish I had the time to get into that again because it is relaxing and a rewarding part of the hobby IMO
Oh shut up! >:(

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2004, 01:39 AM »
Oh shut up! >:(

Ditto.  Complex math blows.  I can see that the Earth orbits the sun.  Seems to do so quite regularly and with no problems.  I'm cool with that.  No need to explain it to me in any more detail than that...

Home Repair. My Dad knows everything about fixing anything and I wish that that gene had been passed down to me.

Ditto.

Other languages would be nice also...  

Working on cars...

I can change my oil... but things like dropping a tranny I couldn't do without breaking things for certain.  

Ditto.

Ditto.

...and my one addition will be the damned Microsoft Access program.  I'm fine with all the basics, but we get ass deep into this stuff at my job, to the point where I'm completely lost and floundering, and wanting very badly to break down and cry like a little girl.

$h!t.  Did I really just say that?   :-X
« Last Edit: April 22, 2004, 01:42 AM by JediMAC »

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2004, 02:28 AM »
I wish I knew how to code HTML.
And I also wish I was better at math and science.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk