Author Topic: OCB...about the Soleil thread at RS...  (Read 4114 times)

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
Re: OCB...about the Soleil thread at RS...
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2004, 03:33 AM »
Classic Scum post

One of my favorite posts, mainly due to the number of moronic replies to it.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2004, 04:51 PM »
What an embarassing post by me...if I only knew.

Damn, I'm glad I've seen RS for what it really is.

And JediMac, you never apologised for calling me an absolute idiot.  :'( even though I am
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2004, 09:08 PM »
Classic Scum post

One of my favorite posts, mainly due to the number of moronic replies to it.

Damn, that is pretty funny.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2004, 09:13 PM »
Hah!

That's a Greggory Prick classic...  

Not a single legitimate answer to WHY that got closed from anyone in that other than Scott posted "too many topics at once".

I have thought of how "spam" is defined, and still cannot come up with how posting a lot of topics at once is spamming.  Flooding perhaps, but not spamming...  Still, I'd have to see how some of those topics NEEDED closing.  They were good relevant topics to most people...  

Kudos to Scott for being that creative at the time.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2004, 12:11 AM »
But even flooding doesn't meet that rule.  RS has a 'post flooding' filter.  Try double clicking on submit post or posting too quickly.  You get ye olde post flood enabled message, or something along that line.  

I believe we were in the chat while you were doing that Scott.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2004, 12:33 AM »
Yeah we were...I was basically taking bits of the chat that night and making up topics every 3 or 4 minutes

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2004, 04:21 AM »
What an embarassing post by me...if I only knew.

Damn, I'm glad I've seen RS for what it really is.

And JediMac, you never apologised for calling me an absolute idiot.  :'( even though I am

Heh.  Forgot about that one...  Yeah, dem's was good times.  I got a tad bit fired up there...   :P  Belated apologies Andrew, but yeah - a few of you were being idiots there.   ;)

I was pissed off for several reasons, first and foremost that most of Scott's threads that got locked there were perfectly valid and interesting threads - locked for no reason and with no explanation whatsoever, other than he started too many in too short a period of time.  Funny, but when some dumbasses there go around and post replies to 100 different threads in a half hour, no one's got a problem with that...   ::)

But I was also getting irate with people suggesting Scott was "post padding" or "spamming", which was completely not the case.  Like Jesse said, "flooding" perhaps, but not post padding or "spamming" (maybe a couple of the silly ones, but not the vast majority of 'em).  I actually exchanged a number of PMs with i like yoda during and immediately following that little episode.  He finally saw the light, and agreed that Scott was doing neither of those things, and apologized.  He used to be King Post Padder back at that time (like a young GNT), but I've got to admit that he's about 100x better these days, and not at all annoying any more.  Such a treat watching these kids grow up into such fine young men...   :P

BTW, in case anyone missed the all-important news flash over there, Lady Jaye just became the first female Grand Moff.  I know you're all impressed and thrilled to death, so feel free to send her some congratulatory messages over at RS.  I'm sure it'd make her day...

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2004, 10:22 AM »
Why the hell does Gregg shut down all of those threads (which are in the proper section btw), when he has "ownership" of every other thread on RS? That always pissed me off. And Gregg is the last person who should ever give anyone crap about post-padding.

In fact, every time he even thinks about giving someone crap about post-padding, he should just look at himself in the mirror and cry. Gregg, we know how you became "Emperor" you frickin hypocrite!
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2004, 02:35 PM »
Since we're having the discussion about it almost a year later, I'd like to chime in that while Scott starting up a full page of threads in Wuher's was funny.....it was DEFINITELY something I would have locked up too (if some other user did it today, for example).

Techncially, no rules were broken, but it was pretty obvious that he was doing it to screw around and have all the topics on the 1st page be started by him. We don't technically have a rule against it...but does that mean it should be allowed? Nah.  :)

It's not that they weren't valid "Wuher's" topics or anything either....but flooding the whole board for the sake of flooding the board....I'm sure I'd probably close them too.

I will admit that GNT crusading against or closing ANYTHING that resembles post padding, spamming or celebrating the post count is rather hypocritical.......but that's also his "job" now.  So I can't harsh on the guy for doing something I would have done myself.  :)

Got Clones?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2004, 02:38 PM »
I'd also in my own defense like to point out a quarter of those threads were bumped by mysterious "friends of OCB" that somehow were in on the gig...its sort of spooky how it happened

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2004, 07:20 PM »
.....it was DEFINITELY something I would have locked up too (if some other user did it today, for example).

We don't technically have a rule against it...but does that mean it should be allowed? Nah.  :)

Well it's certainly a relief knowing how you would have handled the situation. I'd ABSOLUTELY love to hear the opinions of all the mods (past and present) from any message board. I need to know how every last one of them would police such a situation. Seriously, I have no life, this is my only release  :-[

Humor me, I swear I care.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2004, 09:04 PM »
BTW, in case anyone missed the all-important news flash over there, Lady Jaye just became the first female Grand Moff.  I know you're all impressed and thrilled to death, so feel free to send her some congratulatory messages over at RS.  I'm sure it'd make her day...

:-X ::)
I'll just rush right over and do that...thanks for the tip.  

I have to chime in here and just tell Scott I thought those threads were interesting to say the least.  I also was amused how fast they were locked.  It's a good thing you like to keep Ggod on his toes, hate to see him get too bored. :-*
Beth

Offline Logray2776

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2004, 11:52 AM »
Hello,

What is this persons problem over there calling himself a mod, closing posts just because he doesnt like them, and then justifying it by saying it was spam? I have half a mind to start a topic over there titled " GNT's god complex and you, how do you deal with it?" or would that be spam?

Logray