Author Topic: Military Draft?  (Read 8144 times)

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
Military Draft?
« on: April 23, 2004, 02:04 PM »
Has anyone heard of this rumor yet?

Do you all think we will have another draft for the war in Iraq?

What are your thoughts?
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Military Draft?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2004, 03:14 PM »
I don't think that we will have a draft for this Battle in Iraq but we may need to have one to combat the entire War on Terror which will in my opinion could be considered WW3.  I don't have a problem with the draft being bought up again but I think noone should be exempt from it.  We should start something like the Isreals have where everyone has to serve two years in military duty or three years, for those who object to fighting, in a civilian non combat role.   I don't have a problem if I get drafted in the military since someone has to fight for the Freedoms that every single person has in this country and if the price of that is to sevre in the Military so be it, that the price I have to pay for my Freedoms.

I also think that this thread will probally be looked at closely by the staff here juat like the last thread that was started about Bush and Kerry.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2004, 03:41 PM »
It undoubtebly will, as it was my request personally that got the last one closed...  I don't like this kind of conversation around these parts personally since it's something I utterly DESPISE over at Rebelscum where it's let roam relatively free (it spills over from the W&P thread, so that doesn't detain it adequately IMO).

It breeds bad blood between members...  To me then, if it's irrelevant to Star Wars toys, it's not worth having at the site.

Keep this civil...  
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Sith Lord Cosmo

• Jedi Initiate
  • Detroit, WHAT?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2004, 06:54 PM »
I think must of the people bringing this up are politicians that need their name in the headlines.  From what I understand, must military are against a draft, since you then have an army that's not as well trained and doesn't want to be there anyway
Hotter than Bond.  Cooler than Bullitt

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2004, 07:08 PM »
I'd like to see your sources SLC, since from what I can tell it's mainly the military asking for it. You have to admit, it isn't that bad an idea, I know that in 4 years I may very well sign up.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2004, 07:56 PM »
I won't get too deep into it but I think some sort of civil or military service is a good thing to have. If they deem a draft is necessary I will support it.  Wars are a terrible thing but thats why we have our freedoms because of those who serve or have served. I don't feel its a bad thing to be a part of.
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2004, 08:19 PM »
Take everything I say with a grain of salt, I am a Canadian and we do not, nor will we have a draft.  We will rely on the US protect us then we will be presumptious and arrogant about it.  

That said, I am a fan of compulsory military service.  So long as you allow for civilian roles for those disinclined to combat related roles.  Boot camp can teach you an awful lot about solid behaviour and values, something that seems to be sorely lacking in society at the moment.  

But that might be a different line to the original intent of the topic.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2004, 08:34 PM »
I don't feel too good about the thought of being drafted into this "war"... What ever happened to the old times when a war was declared, the enemy wore a defined uniform, and both sides fought along a somewhat defined line?  :(

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2004, 12:30 AM »
Well, I really we hope we do not have a draft, I really am not looking forward too it, I guess I could go to Mexico, Canada etc.....

But when it all comes down to it, I know I would go cause I had to!  I would really enjoy doing something for America.

Hey my look on the bright side! - *I can kill me some Iraqis* ;D

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2004, 02:11 AM »
*I can kill me some Iraqis* ;D

Well, come on all of you, big strong men,
Uncle Sam needs your help again.
Yeah, he's got himself in a terrible jam
Way down yonder in Vietnam Iraq
So put down your books and pick up a gun,
Gonna have a whole lotta fun.

And it's one, two, three,
What are we fighting for ?
Don't ask me, I don't give a damn,
Next stop is Vietnam Iraq;
And it's five, six, seven,
Open up the pearly gates,
Well there ain't no time to wonder why,
Whoopee! we're all gonna die.

Yeah, come on Wall Street, don't be slow,
Why man, this is war au-go-go
There's plenty good money to be made
By supplying the Army with the tools of its trade,
Just hope and pray that if they drop the bomb,
They drop it on the Viet Cong Iraqis.

Next stop is Vietnam Iraq.
Well there ain't no time to wonder why

Well, come on generals, let's move fast;
Your big chance has come at last.
Now you can go out and get those reds sandcrabs
'Cause the only good commie Iraqi is the one that's dead
And you know that peace can only be won
When we've blown 'em all to kingdom come.

Next stop is Vietnam Iraq;
Well there ain't no time to wonder why

Come on mothers throughout the land,
Pack your boys off to Vietnam Iraq.
Come on fathers, and don't hesitate
To send your sons off before it's too late.
You can be the first ones in your block
To have your boy come home in a box.

And it's one, two, three
Next stop is Vietnam Iraq.
Well there ain't no time to wonder why,
Whoopee! we're all gonna die!!
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2004, 09:26 AM »
*I can kill me some Iraqis* ;D
You know that by the time this hypothetical draft is passed, and the new conscripts trained you'll be facing a new foe. I wouldn't be suprised if it was an East Asian nation...as to which one I'll let you draw your own conclusion

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2004, 11:39 AM »
The problem is, Matt, you would be given orders not to fire unless fired upon, I suspect. So your life depends on wether or not the enemy is as lousy a shot as most of them are. I don't like thinking of myself as a sitting duck, but that's pretty much the reality of it.

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2004, 01:23 PM »
You know, true.

From what I have been hearing we might start to have problems with North Korea?  Seeing them march the way they did was scary! :o  Reminded me of WWII and the nazis?

But, it would be really hard for me to go to Iraq and not just to shooting at them.  Knowing in my head, that they have killed lots of ours boys.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2004, 03:28 PM »
Damnit! My orginal post just deleted due to a breif power failure.
America's threats:

Terrorism, it'll be around for awhile so get used to it. Al Queda is currently the main threat to us in this classification, however that dosen't mean it'll always be so.

China, no friend of ours by any stretch of the mind. First of all they are going to be as powerful, if not more powerful then us within 20 years. They are the modern day USSR/Nazi's, except they hold a valuable chain to our economy making them more of threat than terrorism, IMO.
Consider that if China was to draft their population 18+ there is no way we could ever defeat them without having to employ Nukes. And guess what in the case of a war you can bet China would use Nuclear weapons. They also can hit some of our stauncest allies, such as Japan, Taiwan and India. Not only that, they have strong ties to some of our other eneymes, namely Syria and Iran.

North Korea, not as big a threat as their hyped up to be. The main reason that Kimmy boy is still around is because he has such a strong military and we don't want (guess who) China to get involved. China actually has a use for North Korea, since having that fat little jerk off stiting on nukes valadates them having a strong military prescence in the region.

Russia, while not as big a threat as befour is still a considerable on, given that A.) They still have a lot of nukes, and B.) they're reasonably good friends with (starting to see a pattern?) China. A top aide to Putin (I forget her name) knew about 9/11 or so some reports say and then later prophiciesed that we would see Americans naked in the streets with a decade. Despite the fact that America and Russia have made great strides toward peace, there is still a large contingent that distrusts the US, many of them being top brass.

Iran, currently you could consider Iran to be in the same boat as Russia, spare the fact that Iran in it's current state is about to crumble. It's no secerct that they send combatants into Iraq and have veery close contacts with *bum bum buuuum* China.

Syria, much like Iran, Syria is also harboring eneymey combants. Also are in cahoots with, well that goes without saying now don't it?

White Power Groups, while they had been on the decrease in America for around 20 years (after the failed 'uprising') they appear to be gaining a little more influence in not only the land of cotton, but the home of the brave. Call them domestic terrorists, but when a group professes genocides...well, it's just not a good thing. And after trying to have the Northwest uprise (I kid you not, it was baised on the book The Turner Diaries I think it would be reasonable to wipe these ******* out.

The Illuminati, not to turn this into a New World Order post, but I think it'd be a reasonable gestrue to look in on them, and I mean really look in on them. Waay to much suspcious activitey to just be pushed to the curb.

These are my conclusions baised on my reseach and observatins of the world currently. Take it with a grain of salt.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2004, 04:29 PM by Vator »

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2004, 06:03 PM »
Very well said Vator. ;)

Forgot all about China, I am scared of them! :-\

Iran/Syria to me are the same as Iraq - **** em!

Russia I am questioning that?

And I still believe in that North Korea opinion.